Cheap car rental around Los Angeles International Airport

Old Jun 1, 15, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Cheap car rental around Los Angeles International Airport

Hi, can you guys recommend any cheap car rental places near LAX? Thanks
Old Jun 2, 15, 11:05 am
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
To the best of my recollection, every car rental company near LAX is a cheap car rental company. I used Midway a couple years ago and paid a whopping $16.35 for a one-day rental. They were fine, car was relatively new, no complaints and I'd use them again.
Old Jun 2, 15, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
To the best of my recollection, every car rental company near LAX is a cheap car rental company. I used Midway a couple years ago and paid a whopping $16.35 for a one-day rental. They were fine, car was relatively new, no complaints and I'd use them again.
+1
I have used Avis and it was <$20 (the car hire was cheaper than the price of a cab into the city-admittedly, I can't use my mobile while driving...)
Old Jun 6, 15, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
They should all be affordable. Don't use Fox here, though...I've had pretty good experiences with them at SFO, but when I had an afternoon/evening layover to rent a car at, it took me the better part of an hour to get to the center, and then to have a car assigned to me...even though there was no line.
Old Jun 6, 15, 4:35 pm

Advance purchase prices seem to vary more at LAX than at most airports. When you try to reserve more than six weeks in advance, you may pay two or three times as much as if you check the SAME company's website three or four weeks ahead. Book ahead, and keep checking back. When the price drops, cancel the older res. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

And I've had good luck lately with Dollar. Thrifty, not so much. Go figure.
Old Jun 9, 15, 12:05 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
It really depends on the dates. Tomorrow, I have a one-week premium size rental at Hertz for $71 AAA rate w/ $40 off coupon (non pre-pay & made the reservation today). That's the lowest rate in many years. But over 4th of July week, it's over $450 per week.
Old Jun 25, 15, 9:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, British Airways, Alaska
LAX Mini Van

I am in LAX for 6 nights starting July 14th and need a mini van or larger.

I reserved through FlightCar but just cancelled after reading some of their reviews.

Does anyone have any recommendations for renting a larger vehicle from LAX.

My main concern is convenience and then price.
Old Jun 30, 15, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sean22mac View Post
I am in LAX for 6 nights starting July 14th and need a mini van or larger.

I reserved through FlightCar but just cancelled after reading some of their reviews.

Does anyone have any recommendations for renting a larger vehicle from LAX.

My main concern is convenience and then price.
I've gotten minivans from bot Hertz and Thrifty at LAX. Both were in October, and prices seemed to hit their lowest about 2 weeks out, but it's entirely dependent on demand-- I paid less than $200 total for one of them (in 2011) and maybe $250 for the other (in 2012), both times for a full week. Usually what I do is get at least one reservation in as soon as I know I'll need it, then keep checking back to see if prices change. I live in LA so I shuttle down with someone and pick up the car, so I can't speak much to convenience other than that they all either pick up at the airport or at the Lot C cellphone lot (which you can get to on a free bus).
Old Oct 12, 15, 1:51 pm

I have read about a few of them in various travel communities. I have tried Statevan last year for the LAX last minutes catch. A good way is to look for reviews and then inexpensive deal.
Old Oct 19, 15, 6:32 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
+1 on Midway. I usually a National fanboy, but when I'm renting for 1-3 weekdays in LA I usually go with Midway for the price. Fine is the word.

I'll be doing a 2 day Rental of a standard tomorrow and the price is $48ai. I just checked the site and they do have minivans and SUV's.

2 Notes:
They share a shuttle with a parking company, so check the shuttle instructions on their website.
If you are a first time renter from Midway, bring proof of insurance.
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:51 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hertz President Circle, United Silver, and Southwest A-List
I would recommend Alamo. They are attached with National, so you often get same quality type cars as National, but at lower prices. Their shuttles run much more frequently and you don't get the hard sell on adding extras.
Old Dec 13, 15, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by hoangb View Post
I would recommend Alamo. They are attached with National, so you often get same quality type cars as National, but at lower prices. Their shuttles run much more frequently and you don't get the hard sell on adding extras.
Really?? I always get the hard sell about extras from Alamo. Extremely annoying! It's one of the main reasons I stopped using them.
Old Dec 13, 15, 2:48 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW View Post
always get the hard sell about extras from Alamo.
Still use them regularly, probably my main go to. Never had a problem with hard upsell.
Old Feb 17, 16, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Lightbulb

I just rented from Enterprise* on Bellanca St. in Inglewood, and saved a lot on taxes and government fees vs. renting "on campus" - at LAX. Here's how it worked:

In line with Enterprise's company-wide practice now, they can pick up and drop off as close to the airport as the Hyatt on Century or the transit center where LAX's parking shuttles meet the city metro buses. I took the "C Lot" airport shuttle, which goes to the transit center. Not knowing then or asking about how close to LAX that that Enterprise is allowed to pick up, I walked to the Burger King. (Unnecessary.) I called and they came and picked me up. Happily. They're a profit center and know what we/they're up to.

On the way back, something funny: I'd asked for a map when I picked up the car. It shows the final directions into "big" Enterprise, which didn't look at all familiar. Before crossing the teeth, I called to get vectored into the Bellanca St. office. Good thing, as they said there would have been a one-way drop charge at the big (airport) depot. Not a worthwhile experiment if anyone wants to try it. Anyway, I checked the car in and was taken post-haste to the transit center. They did say that they'll pick up/drop off at any hotel, then we take the hotel's shuttle to the airport.

* I have no connection with Enterprise.

Search this Thread