Expect delays LAX 5/11/15

Old May 11, 15, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Expect delays LAX 5/11/15

United Express just landed without gear. Does not look like anyone was hurt, but plane is now stuck in the middle of runway and I assume it will take a while for the plane to be moved and the runway opened again.
Old May 11, 15, 11:00 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
No delays currently published in the FAA's OIS.

Looks like there was a GS for about 24 minutes.
Old May 11, 15, 11:14 am

I think LAX has a couple spare runways lying around for this to not have much of an impact. ;-)

That said, at least this happened while they have a break on their runway closures (ongoing maintenance/construction projects).
Old May 11, 15, 12:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
TV news is saying that it was a SkyWest DC-9 or MD-80/88 FWIW. They're also saying that the aircraft lost a wheel and the main landing gear collapsed at least on one side. The plane has its belly on the tarmac with the left wing also on the ground.

IIRC LAX has five runways.
Old May 11, 15, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL ♦, Marriot Plt, NATL EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
TV news is saying that it was a SkyWest DC-9 or MD-80/88 FWIW. They're also saying that the aircraft lost a wheel and the main landing gear collapsed at least on one side. The plane has its belly on the tarmac with the left wing also on the ground.

I hope you meant a CRJ-900 since I'm pretty sure SkyWest doesnt fly DC-9s
Old May 11, 15, 1:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Medeski View Post
I hope you meant a CRJ-900 since I'm pretty sure SkyWest doesnt fly DC-9s
That's why I said FWIW. AFAIK SkyWest doesn't fly mainline aircraft, just RJs and worse.
Old May 11, 15, 1:11 pm

This was a Skywest CRJ-200 operating for United Express. No CR9s fly with United Express livery.
Old May 11, 15, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The plane sat there for about six hours today on 24L. That's an awful long time to take some pictures and measurements.
Old May 11, 15, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA, WN & many Hotels... avoids UA like the plague!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

When did LAX get a new 5th runway? Last I saw they only have four, granted there has been proposals for a 5th...
Old May 11, 15, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
LAX has 4 Runways which you can land both ways - so 8 in total... 6L/24R 6R/24L 7L/25R 7R/25L
Old May 11, 15, 9:12 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
I landed an hour or so after it happened with no issue. This, on the other hand caused a 10 minute delay leaving ATL since they had to shut the airport down to stage the emergency vehicles. No idea why it had to return to the airport though:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...220Z/KATL/KSLC
Old May 11, 15, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by kettle1 View Post
LAX has 4 Runways which you can land both ways - so 8 in total... 6L/24R 6R/24L 7L/25R 7R/25L
I think I was looking at the list of CATIII runways.
Old May 11, 15, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by nichojo View Post
I landed an hour or so after it happened with no issue. This, on the other hand caused a 10 minute delay leaving ATL since they had to shut the airport down to stage the emergency vehicles. No idea why it had to return to the airport though:

What is this? I just see times with no flight path. Did a flight divert to LAX?
Old May 12, 15, 7:17 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by nichojo View Post

Lost an engine on takeoff, came right back.
Old May 12, 15, 7:21 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, etc etc etc
Quick someone complain that this is not a DL related issue because it involved United (Even though DL has a large enough presence at LAX)

Search this Thread