Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting girlfriend for 3 months - Immigration advice

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Visiting girlfriend for 3 months - Immigration advice

I won't be flying until August, so I wanted to give myself time to mentally prepare.

I'm a bit nervous about immigration. I've heard LAX has some particularly grumpy officers, and I'm worried they'll think I'm trying to stay forever.

I came to LA for 10 days in Feb, but I went through immigration in Calgary, and since it was only 10 days and I was staying at a B&B I could say "vacation." lol

I'll be staying at my GF's house for 3 months between Aug and Nov, and I'll be staying on the VISA waiver. I'll have a letter from my employer saying I'll be returning in November, a return ticket and my gf's mobile number (since she'll be waiting for me at arrivals).

I'll also have at least $600 on me and a bank statement saying I'll have at least £1000 more that I can withdraw if I need to.

Other than this, is there any advice you can give me? (My friend also says I'll have less trouble because I'm white)
Old May 8, 2015, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I'm going to leave this post in this forum due to the Los Angeles International Airport specific question.

As for the second question, there many discussions of visiting girlfriends/boyfriends in the USA and Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forums.

Please be mindful that the FlyerTalk Rules prohibit cross-posting.

TWA884
Moderator,
Los Angeles forum
Old May 12, 2015, 1:39 am

A few thoughts. The visa waiver program is 90 days maximum, so when you say "3 months" make sure it is less than 90 days. (I assume you're not Canadian - the rules are different for Canadians.) Make sure you have a valid ESTA.

As for other documentary evidence that you could bring, proof that you still own or lease your home in your home country would be helpful, as would any other proof of property ownership such as a car. It is unlikely you'll be asked for it but good to have a backup. I think it's unlikely you'll be denied entry. Of course, entry is at the officer's discretion, but it sounds like you are well prepared given that you have a job to return to.

CBP screening is strict in many airports, but I have not had particularly bad experiences at LAX. My friend recently flew to LAX on a tourist visa and was asked only two questions by the officer, and I expect that would be typical.
Old May 12, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Usually people with passport from a Visa waiver country don't get asked a lot of questions. I assume you are arriving from London so just have some sort of British Govt identification with your address in the UK as proof that you have legitimate residency in UK. You will also need to know the address of your girlfriend's house to fill out your entry forms.

I have family members from Asia that come visit for 2 or 3 months at a time, and when asked, they always just say "I'm visiting relatives". Generally no problem at all. The trick is to be consistent in your answers... immigration officers are known to ask the same question two or three times in different ways to see if you change your answer. If you are visiting your girlfriend, it is as a legitimate purpose for visit as any... just tell the truth.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the late replies. I've been REALLY nervous about immigration.

Regrettably, I live at home and can't drive, so bills, car info or rent agreements are stuff I don't have. So that's why I'm nervous. I'm basically banking on my boss's letter being enough. Thanks for the tip about British Govt identification; I'll maybe bring a payslip and my bank statement, since I work for the local council or something similar.

Thanks for the help.
Old May 21, 2015, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a strong chance you'll get not much more than a grunt form the officer. Sounds like you are prepared if there is more. Relax and enjoy.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:38 pm

It's good to be prepared. It's quite likely they will ask you a few questions. I get at least a few questions 9 out of 10 times and I have not recently been to Yemen or Libya either.

The idea they won't ask you anything because you're white and from Europe is a myth and can lead to uncomfortable surprises. It's possible they all but wave you through but that's far from the rule for a non-citizen.

But if you tell the truth (and the truth IS that you're visiting and will return to the UK) and you can show you're employed - they will almost certainly let you in. So far I've never had an issue other than being held up for a few minutes by a series of intrusive personal questions (which you still have to take in good humour).
Old May 24, 2015, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Okay, so be prepared, be polite, be honest, have proof of employment. Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

To be fair, I'm not expecting NO questions. I didn't want to put that across, and my friend who is in a LDR says that she gets the "when are you getting married?" a lot. Any other personal questions that you get that I can prepare myself with?

Last edited by Calum666; May 24, 2015 at 1:40 pm
Old May 31, 2015, 1:15 pm

Dress nicely. Comb your hair. Have your documents ready but don't offer unless asked. Look confident - but don't be aggressive. You will be fine.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wanderlustoz
Dress nicely. Comb your hair. Have your documents ready but don't offer unless asked. Look confident - but don't be aggressive. You will be fine.
Thanks. I've been so nervous, due to the length of visit and not having bill documents and only proof of residence through work. Everyone (whether its my folks, friends, and people on the internet, like here) said I'll be fine. i just need to calm down.

Thanks.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 1:19 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
If you're coming in through TBIT, VWP visitors can use the new APC to scan passport, take photo and declare customs. Don't know if that will decrease questioning.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
If you're coming in through TBIT, VWP visitors can use the new APC to scan passport, take photo and declare customs. Don't know if that will decrease questioning.
I don't understand the point of the kiosks, having just done it at DUB. I got an X on mine so had to go into the longer queue. I have no idea why I got an X, as did the man in front of me (who was also going on a 6 day business trip with nothing out of the ordinary) and the woman behind me who was a US citizen returning from a week's vacation. It seemed like a complete waste of time.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

I've heard of people having trouble with those kiosks, and if I were to get a black X, it may make me look more suspicious, so I may just go straight ahead to the immigration.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure about non-citizens but haven't had any trouble scanning my/kid passports a few times since implemented at LAX and elsewhere.
Old Jun 6, 2015, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Not sure about non-citizens but haven't had any trouble scanning my/kid passports a few times since implemented at LAX and elsewhere.
In that case, I may give it a try. It'll just depend on the day, how confident I feel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.