Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with my mom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Visiting Santa Monica on Wednesday from Irvine sounds like hell to me.
Not really. It's all about timing. Not everyone can keep their commutes to Sat/Suns only. Also there's a bit of reverse commuting from OC to LA & there are carpool lanes.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband commuted to Santa Monica for a year and it was the worst year of our lives.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My husband commuted to Santa Monica for a year and it was the worst year of our lives.
I agree. ...it can be hell.
But she is only here for a week and is flying in to LAX....seems like LA is good starting place for couple days and then down to OC for rest of time. Can't see going back and forth. And yes the farmers market is great but maybe if she was here for a month. I wouldn't put it in the top 50 things that she must see in LA.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I commuted Hermosa Beach to Woodland Hills for almost a year; uggh that was nasty

I did Hermosa Beach to Pasadena for three years, that was not great but 1/2 of it each way was against traffic so it wasn't so bad.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by justforfun
I'd probably start by giving the maid the week off.
Post of the decade! Thanks. People are staring at me for laughing out loud.

Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:26 pm

Lots of good suggestions. If she's at all a shopper, South Coast Plaza is a really, really good mall. This sounds dumb, but when my English friends visit they always want to go to Target.

You could also take the train to Union Station pretty easily from Irvine and explore downtown LA/Chinatown/Little Tokyo. It's a really up and coming area with a lot to see/do/eat.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The station itself is really cool and Olvera Street is right there and Grand Central Market is just a subway hop.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few more questions- you live in Irvine, and mom is staying with you, correct? Are you taking the whole week off or is she going to have some days where she has to amuse herself?

Metrolink/Amtrak from Irvine to old town Orange or to San Juan Capistrano might be a good day trip she could do by herself if you have days you can't drive her around. (I assume she is not going to be driving while here) A mission visit is always interesting in my opinion.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whale/dolphin watching out of Newport or Dana Point. Or Catalina for a full day.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
How is commuting ~5 days a week for a whole year (most likely during peak commute hours) in any way comparable to doing a week of leisure jaunts? Presumably the OP and his mum will not be on a tight schedule with meetings to rush to or anything of that sort.

Yes, I know very well how annoying LA traffic can be, but really.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:01 pm
Suspended

It sounds very touristy, but many people enjoyed the Universal Studios tour when I used to live in LA.

Catalina Island is fun, Venice Beach is fun, Santa Monica is fun. Heck, you could even drive up to Santa Barbara, one of my favorite places in the world.

No lack of great things to do around LA.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Buster
You could also take the train to Union Station pretty easily from Irvine and explore downtown LA/Chinatown/Little Tokyo. It's a really up and coming area with a lot to see/do/eat.
Yes, DTLA is another option I failed to mention. And the public transit in/out of that area is pretty decent. That would be a good respite from driving to all those other wonderful places that we are all recommending!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
I have no time off. I home office and will just not travel that week and schedule appointments at the local refinery customers.

As long as I have my phone I'll manage. The plus side of being in sales.

Universal tour sounds good. I'll do the bus tour of the stars too. Santa Monica is just too far.

Getty museum.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KathyWdrf
How is commuting ~5 days a week for a whole year (most likely during peak commute hours) in any way comparable to doing a week of leisure jaunts? Presumably the OP and his mum will not be on a tight schedule with meetings to rush to or anything of that sort.

Yes, I know very well how annoying LA traffic can be, but really.
He left here at 5 am most days.

I just think that if someone is going to be staying in Irvine for a week a long list of activities almost all of which are in LA is not very helpful. It's gonna turn into a week of commuting. If you've driven the 5 lately from oc to la there's no such thing as rush hour only on week days at limited times. You can be stuck at 5 mph at noon on Saturday.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:14 pm
Suspended

Cool

He left here at 5 am most days.

I just think that if someone is going to be staying in Irvine for a week a long list of activities almost all of which are in LA is not very helpful. It's gonna turn into a week of commuting. If you've driven the 5 lately from oc to la there's no such thing as rush hour only on week days at limited times. You can be stuck at 5 mph at noon on Saturday.
Sounds like the 405 and the 10, then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.