What to do with my mom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with my mom

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
The L.A. area has tons of stuff to do/see/eat -- I can't imagine the need to go outside the area. The real problem is paring it down to fit a week!

If you do end up going to see the Huntington Library/Gardens/Art Collection as suggested above ( www.huntington.org ) you'll be in San Marino, so other San Gabriel Valley sights might be in order as well, such as the Los Angeles County Arboretum/Botanic Garden in Arcadia ( www.arboretum.org ).

At least one visit to the beach is required -- how about the Venice Boardwalk ( http://venicebeach.com/the-venice-beach-boardwalk/ ) , and a visit to nearby Santa Monica (a walk on the Santa Monica Pier http://santamonicapier.org/ ). Of course I realize O.C. also has nice beaches. (Sounds like you don't spend any time at them though?)

I think LA County Museum of Art aka LACMA ( http://www.lacma.org/) is a really cool museum and to me it kind of embodies SoCal. Hancock Park and the La Brea Tar Pits ( www.tarpits.org) are right next door to LACMA along Wilshire Blvd. on the Miracle Mile.

This is only a small sample of what you could see.

ETA: Of course, I also endorse doing the Hollywood thing, visiting the Hollywood Walk of Fame ( http://www.walkoffame.com/ ), as well as the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood.

Last edited by KathyWdrf; Apr 30, 2015 at 10:35 am
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
The Santa Monica pier....some good places to eat around there as well.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I'd do Balboa one evening, Descanso gardens, and Pasadena is nice for a walk and shopping (Akbar was my favorite place to eat there) plus you could tour the Gamble House if that's up her alley.

Driving up the central coast might be nice, too. You could see Hurst castle. San Diego might be another winner.

If she likes museums LA has s good selection. The kids might still be in school so Disneyland might be good.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:10 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Thanks for some really good suggestions. As cheesy as it sounds I know she would like to do the walk of stars, tour bus, etc. I've never done it either but sounds like a been there done it deal.

Good restaurant tips, thanks. I'd like to find a good British pub (like the one I met CE at!) here in OC.
There's Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica, but I've only been to the retail store, not the pub.

(For Chicagoans, Ian's referring to Owen & Engine, which would be my go-to neighborhood spot if only it were in my neighborhood.)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know why you would want to go to a pub if she is from the UK. I never understood that --go somewhere California. But yes. ..Ye Olde Kings in Santa Monica is good. If in Santa Monica I think a better choice would be The Lobster on the pier. If you want to see celebs and paparazzi out front. ..go to The Ivy on Robertson. Expensive and just ok food but a good Hollywood schmoozing experience.
I think you can buy maps to stars homes at any of the tacky tourist shops on Hollywood blvd. Driving around BH and Bel Air is fun. London has such awesome museums. ...I would skip the ones out here except maybe the Getty.
Terrannea in Palos Verdes has spectacular coastal views but a little far...I don't know how much you want to be running around.
Might as well head back to OC...go to Laguna. Eat at Surf and Sand hotel or at Las Brisas. Visit galleries and shops in Laguna. Sit on beach and watch surfers.
All restaurants require reservation so plan ahead.
I guess this has turned into the Los Angeles forum.
I also love Disneyland. ...and whenever I take visitors who think it's just for kids. ..we have the best time. Don't rule it out necessarily.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to avoid la area traffic Laguna Beach/Dana Point/San Clemente are all lovely to explore with many brunch, lunch and dinner options.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
If you want to avoid la area traffic Laguna Beach/Dana Point/San Clemente are all lovely to explore with many brunch, lunch and dinner options.
Very good point. A lot of folks have mentioned Santa Monica but that's hours drive with traffic...so much traffic...
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
I don't think it's about avoiding L.A. traffic -- the traffic is part of the full L.A. experience!!!

And really, it should be about the full L.A. experience -- no matter how tacky or touristy (or trafficky) it may be!

JMHO. (I grew up in the L.A. area from age 4 to 22 and have been back many, many times since.)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since she is coming in to lax why not spend a night or two in LA then rest of time in OC. Shutters hotel in SM is nice. Beach House hotel in Hermosa. ..right smack on the beach. Lots of bikini eye candy playing volleyball or skating by too. True California beach vibe.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Even if your mom isn't the type of person to go on many theme park rides, Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure are magical places to go.

Are you picking her up from LAX? Randy's Donuts is only a short drive away and comes highly recommended.

You could take her to Palm Springs, though it'll probably be quite hot that time of year.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very good point. A lot of folks have mentioned Santa Monica but that's hours drive with traffic...so much traffic...
I'd start in Newport and meander down PCH. Stop in Crystal Cove, Laguna, San Clemente etc.

Lots of interesting galleries, piers, antique shops, etc.

I've lived in OC my whole life, and while LA is great, I think our beaches/coastal towns can stand up to theirs just fine. :-)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Oh puhleeze. You do the timing right & it's not "hours" traffic. Besides, it gives you time to bond w/ your mum .

I'd definitely put the Getty (the one on the hill, not on PCH) on the list for a must-do museum. Beautiful architecture, views from downtown LA to Catalina Island, water parts & gardens.

Huntington might also appeal as it's combo museum/gardens.

You could potentially go to Santa Monica area (pier, etc), drive up PCH to Sunset Blvd (maybe have lunch at Gladstones4Fish right on the water), & take Sunset over & then to the Getty. Coming back you could either head back to Santa Monica Pier area for dinner also recommend The Lobster, but knowing you're er, frugal, it might be too high priced for you), or head over to Bev Hills/West Hollywood area. Your mum would probably like to see Bev Hills/window shop as that's often depicted in films, etc.

Cheers.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justforfun
I'd probably start by giving the maid the week off.

can't stop laughing. ^
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
There's Ye Olde King's Head in Santa Monica, but I've only been to the retail store, not the pub.

(For Chicagoans, Ian's referring to Owen & Engine, which would be my go-to neighborhood spot if only it were in my neighborhood.)
I was going to suggest that one.

If you are going to the Pasadena area (Huntington Gardens ) a gem and one of the richest museums is the Norton Simon. Wonderful stuff then lunch at Europane, they have the best egg sandwiches, bot to die for.

The Santa Monica farmers market on Wed is the best ever.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I was going to suggest that one.

If you are going to the Pasadena area (Huntington Gardens ) a gem and one of the richest museums is the Norton Simon. Wonderful stuff then lunch at Europane, they have the best egg sandwiches, bot to die for.

The Santa Monica farmers market on Wed is the best ever.
Visiting Santa Monica on Wednesday from Irvine sounds like hell to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.