Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Santa Monica vs. Andaz West Hollywood

Old Feb 1, 15, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum

Have a one night stay coming up in a few weeks, will be taking my girlfriend to southern California for a long weekend for a wedding in San Diego. Plan to spend a night up in LA before heading down to SD. Debating between these two hotels. I'm SPG Gold and Hyatt Platinum. Rates are about the same price using my corporate discount. Regardless of where we stay, I plan to show her the Santa Monica pier area as well as all of the touristy stuff in Beverly Hills/Hollywood...so either hotel will work for what we have planned. I would appreciate anyone with any input on the decision. Le Meridien has free parking, while at the Andaz I can use a suite upgrade certificate I have from last year as a diamond, which expires at the end of the month. Thanks in advance.

If it makes any difference, I can also get the SLS for about $80 more than these two if someone thinks that is a big difference.

Last edited by cascade; Feb 1, 15 at 7:42 pm
Old Feb 2, 15, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Andaz, no question. The Le Meridien is just a gussied up Sheraton in a dumpy part of SM across the street from a high school.
Old Feb 2, 15, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
SLS for $80 more FTW.
Old Feb 3, 15, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Definitely SLS
Old Feb 3, 15, 2:37 pm

Easy, Andaz. The views here are amazing, the rooms are nicer, free wine in the lobby for two hours every day, free wifi and mini bar. The staff is super helpful and down to earth. And the neighborhood is a way better. The SLS looks tired, it's not as great as it once was.
Old Feb 4, 15, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Le Meridien is ok... but it's a bit of a hike from the pier and touristy part of Santa Monica. The area immediately adjacent to the hotel is very low key residential. But if you plan to spend a lot of time near the beach, I would stay there... walking to the beach/pier is much easier than driving.

Andaz is near the heart of the Sunset strip so lots more to see and do. Plus the view from the room is pretty good. But be aware that traffic in that part of town is a cluster [email protected]@k 20 hours a day.

Search this Thread