LAX hotels + LA hotels

Old Jan 16, 15, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
LAX hotels + LA hotels

Did look at the "14 hours in LA" thread but not 100% what I want.

As part of an April run over to HNL, I'm overnighting at LAX (flight arrives at 9:54pm or something and leaves at 8am).
What's recommended hotel wise?
Had a look at LAX area Hiltons and IHG hotels and, for example, the Crowne Plaza is $141 upwards HI $136+, Hiltons around $50 more.

Secondly, I'm in the L.A. area in March (partly for a holiday and also going to run the LA Marathon).
The marathon starts at Dodger Stadium and finishes near Santa Monica Pier. Around a 4-5am start. There seems to be shuttle buses from Santa Monica to the stadium for the start (but not the return)
Any ideas where to stay? i.e. Santa Monica area, Marina Del Rey (4.5 miles from Santa Monica apparently) etc.
That area would be useful for the shuttles and not too far to go for my hotel afterwards.
Old Jan 16, 15, 3:43 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, AS Gold MVP, IC RA, IHG Spire Elite, HH Diamond, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Stayed at both the LAX Hilton and the Crowne Plaza.

I'd recommend the latter - much more modern, nice bar and restaurant. The Hilton is a little dated and the rooms are a bit pokey. Both have shuttle buses to/from the airport.
Old Jan 16, 15, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
For such a short overnight stay, I suspect points earning and fripperies are of no great consequence.

I've stayed at most hotels on or just off West Century Blvd and find them much of a muchness. I've booked the Westin LAX with priceline.com for $75 and $74 for my next US trip. It's a little further down the road than opalfruit's suggestions but in the shuttle bus, what's the difference.

BTW, there was a similar discussion recently but I can't find it using Search.

Can't advise re Santa Monica and the Marathon.
Old Jan 16, 15, 3:55 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
What date are you there? There are probably a few good Hilton codes you can use to bring that down.

For what it's worth I've stayed in the DoubleTree and the Hilton, prefer the Hilton but neither is all that great. Would like to try the Embassy Suites (either) if the rates are sensible.
Old Jan 16, 15, 4:01 am
Original Poster

Weekend of March 14/15th. Going to be Coming down from San Francisco a few days beforehand (unless I decide to pop to Las Vegas for a couple of nights) - still undecided.
Old Jan 16, 15, 4:03 am

Programs: QF Platinum & Lifetime Gold
Do not stay at the Hilton LAX unless you are really desperate. The rooms are not completely horrible, but this is LA, there must be so many better options. The gift shop is handy though for things like power adapters and other things like lip balm that you can need after a long flight.

The shuttle bus from the Hilton to the TBIT took half an hour at 9pm (got stuck behind car at Doubletree on the way, was slow, stopped at all other terminals, didn't arrive on time). Out of interest, does it take much longer than that to commute by taxi from Beverly Hills to LAX?
Old Jan 16, 15, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Accor Platinum
Stayed at the hilton LAX as part of my Christmas TP run.

I booked cheapest room and upgraded online to a king studio suit for 135 HH points (best value redemption ever!).

Hotel is dated but room was ok, didn't have time/ energy to visit lounge and skipped breakfast. Bathroom was dated and small compared to the very large room.

There are probably nicer LAX properties but shuttle was prompt and price was good.
Old Jan 16, 15, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Could always stay at the Hilton Garden Inn at Marina Del Rey that Peter01 stayed at in a trip report he did. There's a newly renovated other Hilton near by that I'll glance at.

Best suited one is probably the Doubletree at Santa Monica but undecided if I want to pay £215 upwards a night for that Can do 2 nights at the Embassy Suites at the airport for less that one night there!
Old Jan 16, 15, 4:45 am

On my recent TP trip to LA, we stayed at the Hyatt Place. Perfectly acceptable and you can get the train to the Mariposa stop which it about 100m from the Hotel.

The only downside is that breakfast can be a bit manic with not enough seating. Given that you will not be there with the cold temperatures, the outdoor seating area will be available.

Easy to get to/from Santa Monica Pier. Just catch the Big Blue Bus (route 3 or 34) for $1 that will take you to/from the Metro Green line station and as stated, get the train to/from the next stop. Train will cost $1.75.

We were travelling HBO but I would recommend you phone the Hotel when you clear immigration and they will come pick you up.

We were around £80 pn
Old Jan 16, 15, 9:37 am

Programs: AA plat, SQ KF Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
For a quick stop at LAX the Westin LAX is usually my preference. Not amazing, but ok.

Santa Monica hotels can be pricey for what you get. I love Santa Monica, but assuming you have a car you can get some nicer hotels for much lower cost not far in Beverly Hills, Century City and Westwood area.
Old Jan 16, 15, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread was started a few days ago in the BA forum and was recently moved to the Los Angeles forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...lax-hotel.html

For March, I would look at staying in Santa Monica. Check rates now and if you don't like what you are seeing you can start to look a little further afield.
Old Jan 16, 15, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Not sure what your piece point is, but I like the Ritz Carlton Marina del Rey for LAX. An alternative is Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica. The hotels at LAX are pretty much 'meh' from what I've seen (but I admit I've not stayed in any of them).
Old Jan 16, 15, 10:02 am

I can't remember where I stayed near LAX but it was near a Denny's and that was great.
Old Jan 16, 15, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Greenpen View Post
I can't remember where I stayed near LAX but it was near a Denny's and that was great.
Never stayed there but I'd guess it was the Westin.
Old Jan 16, 15, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I live near LA, so Chez Moi is my hotel of choice.

I will throw out a plug for the Westin on Century. In the Westin, they have a Daily Grill restaurant, and that is my F-A-V-O-R-I-T-E restaurant chain. I used to go to the Daily Grill in Burbank all the time when our company had work in a nearby office.

Love it!

Search this Thread