FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   TSA PreCheck on Non-Elite Side of LAX (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1643893-tsa-precheck-non-elite-side-lax.html)

md2ca98 Jan 7, 2015 8:39 pm

TSA PreCheck on Non-Elite Side of LAX

I have TSA Pre-Check from elite status for the past several years. As a result, I always went through Priority Access Security at LAX. This year I have no status, but my boarding pass for a flight tomorrow still says TSA Pre-Check. Does anyone know if there is a Pre-Check line on the non-elite security side? If not, can I enter Priority Access with just TSA Pre-Check?

NickP 1K Jan 7, 2015 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by md2ca98 (Post 24122609)
I have TSA Pre-Check from elite status for the past several years. As a result, I always went through Priority Access Security at LAX. This year I have no status, but my boarding pass for a flight tomorrow still says TSA Pre-Check. Does anyone know if there is a Pre-Check line on the non-elite security side? If not, can I enter Priority Access with just TSA Pre-Check?

I've seen people show the checker their printed TSA PRE on the BP and not had an issue. Don't see why you couldn't use Elite side and just show the checker on the bottom of the escalator "TSA Pre". Quite a few times also I enter from the staircase from T4/TBIT parking lot and go right through the middle of security and walk to the TSA Pre Elite; NO one except the upstairs checkers rarely look to see what I have.

middlekingdom Jan 8, 2015 9:46 am

Originally Posted by md2ca98 (Post 24122609)

TSA Pre is not directly related to status on the airline. I have status on US/OW but when I fly on WN or UA etc, my pre-check works as I have to given them my known traveler number. I paid for it and was not given it as a part of the elite status, but the process for verification an issue of the known traveler number is the same as I understand. I am going to assume that, once given, it continues with you. So you are still pre-check based on my understanding. Further you status is valid on US/AA till Feb 28 so you still are elite. on WN it expires on 12/31

If there is a pre-check stamp on your boarding pass, you can use the pre-check lane, period. There is only one set of pre-check lane/s (at least at the airports I fly), and not segregated by elite/non elite flyer. TSA cares only if have the Pre-check on your BP.

For that matter, my son coming back from school had a pre-check on his BPand went through the pre-check lane. I have seen some seniors surprised that they were allowed in the pre-check. Hence it is possible for people to randomly be selected for pre check but that is not always given.

If for some reason, your known traveler number is removed, I would suggest your can apply directly for TSA-Pre (there is a fee) and have it with you for travel on any airline.

middlekingdom Jan 8, 2015 9:59 am

On some further research, it appears that there may some different rules for those who were given the status based on participation in the airline sponsored elites program (which happened in 2012 and has since been discontinued). It may not be valid on other airlines. However if US/AA is your carrier and you had the status in 2014, you still are an elite in 2015 till Feb 28.

There is only one set of pre-check lane/s (at least at the airports I fly), and not segregated by elite/non elite flyer. TSA cares only if have the Pre-check on your BP.

Also, I do not know enough about LAX to understand if there are separate TSA-Precheck lines for elite vs non elite but that sounds wasteful as they have to have so much more staff. If it is the case then my earlier comments do not apply to LAX.

danohio Jan 8, 2015 10:29 am

Originally Posted by middlekingdom (Post 24125656)
Also, I do not know enough about LAX to understand if there are separate TSA-Precheck lines for elite vs non elite but that sounds wasteful as they have to have so much more staff. If it is the case then my earlier comments do not apply to LAX.

I have flown out of LAX twice in recent months. Once I went through PreCheck on the non-elite side and the second, went through PreCheck on the elite side. It depends on the time of day which part of the checkpoint is open, but either way, you can access PreCheck through the regular entrance or through the elite side.

wemyss Jan 8, 2015 12:05 pm

Worked very efficiently last week at LAX, going through TSA Pre-Check√...
Is TSA Pre-Check √ only for US and Canadian citizens?

Often1 Jan 8, 2015 12:16 pm

How you obtained Pre-C, whether by the pilot program involving specific carrier FFP's or now through either GE or TSA's own program is irrelevant. If you have pre-check status showing on your BP you may use a pre-check line to access your gate.

MarkedMan Jan 8, 2015 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by wemyss (Post 24126567)
Is TSA Pre-Check √ only for US and Canadian citizens?

US citizens, cleared Canadian citizens and all green card holders.

middlekingdom Jan 8, 2015 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 24126634)
How you obtained Pre-C, whether by the pilot program involving specific carrier FFP's or now through either GE or TSA's own program is irrelevant. If you have pre-check status showing on your BP you may use a pre-check line to access your gate.

Agreed. However, what I learn from this thread is that in LAX you have two TSA pre-check lines, one for elite and one for non elite. Not sure that makes any real difference but one may need to ensure that they go to the correct line.

Second. how you entered the program may have bearing on your ability to use the precheck facility i.e. I googled it and found on that Alaska Air page that those who were were opted in by the AS program and do not have a known traveler number cannot use pre-check on another airline. However as you said, once you the status showing on the BP, you are good to go.

Often1 Jan 8, 2015 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by middlekingdom (Post 24127694)
Agreed. However, what I learn from this thread is that in LAX you have two TSA pre-check lines, one for elite and one for non elite. Not sure that makes any real difference but one may need to ensure that they go to the correct line.

Second. how you entered the program may have bearing on your ability to use the precheck facility i.e. I googled it and found on that Alaska Air page that those who were were opted in by the AS program and do not have a known traveler number cannot use pre-check on another airline. However as you said, once you the status showing on the BP, you are good to go.

That's true. Hence the fact that if your BP shows pre-check, you can use a pre-check line.

As to those relying on the old pilot program, TSA has made it clear that it is degrading the % of selection in order to push the broader program.

The goal is to move 85% of travelers into a pre-check experience.

IceTrojan Jan 9, 2015 2:35 am

I went through LAX on the 6th... wth is going on with the Pre-Check line? When I went up the escalators on the premium side, walked towards where I know the Pre-Check entrance to be, and there's a 30-person deep line already there. Fortunately, a TSAer who was directing traffic made eye-contact with me, saw the Pre-Check notation on my BP, and had be walk straight through the line to the other side...

...into a completely empty lane <phew>.

The other line was still going through the Pre-Check section, but I'm guessing that they were just winners of the Pre-Check roulette and randomly selected to go through, vs. me being an actually Known Traveler?

TrojanHorse Jan 9, 2015 5:20 am

I'm elite and usually get Pre-check, I can't remember the last time that I did not.

I will be traveling with my two minor children who have zero status. do they give pre-check to them as we are on the same PNR or is that just not done?

IceTrojan Jan 9, 2015 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 24131155)
I'm elite and usually get Pre-check, I can't remember the last time that I did not.

I will be traveling with my two minor children who have zero status. do they give pre-check to them as we are on the same PNR or is that just not done?

My one experience with this: Had the no-status in-laws on one PNR on AS. One got Pre-Check, the other didn't. So I would suspect that it's not an all-or-none proposition.

Shareholder Jan 10, 2015 6:46 am

Will be using LAX PreCheck later today, but didn't know there were two access lanes (elite and non-elite). Usually take the escalator to the right and do the long walk along the mezzanine, but also have taken the elevator to the left which opens into the PreCheck lane. What annoys me is the increasing direction by TSA staff of non-PreCheck people into the PreCheck lane (after reviewing boarding passes) and then am delayed by people to still go through the shoes-off, computers and liquids out routine until they're yelled at by another TSA staffer.

md2ca98 Jan 10, 2015 6:58 am

TSA Pre-Check on Non-Elite Side of LAX

Thank you for all the very informative comments. Just to clarify, I had no elite status in 2014, so I was not flying with status this week. However, at LAX I had no problem accessing the TSA precheck on the Priority Access side. The gatekeeper at the escalator waved me right through. So if you do have precheck but are not elite, you can bypass and go through priority access to enter the precheck line on that side.

In my previous experience, if you are precheck but have a companion that is not, they are directed into the regular elite line.