Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DataJunkie
So, I just did a trip LAX<->SFO by myself, which meant I could spend some time walking around. It feels like LAX, particularly T1-3, has "grown up." It definitely feels more efficient and more modern than it ever has. Gone are the days where each terminal is its own little world.

I used the Economy Parking structure because I was last minute. Surprisingly, it was almost at capacity. I hope there are plans for another one. If you prebook, the gate opens for you automatically, which is neat, and there are signs and lights indicating full aisles and where spaces are available. Exiting is a bit silly though. It doesn't scan your license plate like when entering. You have to then scan the prepaid QR code to exit. Several of us couldn't figure it out until the employee helped us. There is a cute robot that wanders each aisle to track vehicles. Access is quick from La Tijera Ave which helps avoid the traffic on Century. The shuttle ride between the structure and Skyway feels so long though. I look forward to the people mover.

T1 hasn't really changed, and I loved how much seating there was, and it was pretty quiet compared to BUR at 7am. Walking towards T2 is the new checkpoint between T1 and T2, and a somewhat annoying group of employees that are essentially asking you what you are doing. Their goal is to get Delta customers into the proper lines to take the shuttle to TBIT, but they seemed to double as security where I didn't feel comfortable saying "I am just walking to T3."

T2 made me a bit sad. The old security foyer had a nice architecture and that's either gone, or is strictly landside now. The concourse itself remains the same. It looks like the FIS corridors are still there, so I hope it starts operating again. At 10pm, it was a complete mad house compared to T1.

Then was the long walk to T3. Another checkpoint on the left before turning right. It feels like the gate 30/31 area is from the old terminal and was quite underwhelming. Surprisingly, the end of the concourse feels the same as the old T3! Terribly cramped, and even the ceiling looks similar. Again, it was a complete mad house at 10pm. Aside from the Delta Sky Club which looks really nice, T3 was kind of disappointing. It was nice not seeing the old bazaar of random concession stands, the weird smoking garden area and rusted NOAA sign, and the old food court.

It's convenient that everything is on the north side is connected, but the construction lacks character. It's very sterile and white, white and more white. It looks like much of it is temporary as stores and restaurants take up leases. I hope over time it reflects more of an LA vibe. It could also use moving walkways, at least for people connecting flights between T2 and T3.

The number of checkpoints and exits feels efficient. There were a few weird things introduced though. In T1, just to the right of the main exit under Urtth Cafe, there is a second exit, with shut doors, that is manned by a TSA agent. This never used to be there and seems pointless. One woman went through the doors, but the others were shooed towards the main exit. The T1/T2 corridor also has this bizarre exit that goes up a long ramp, almost to a third level. I am not sure what that's about.

Security seems tighter than it used to be. There are tons of contractors around asking people questions about where they are going, and the ominous PA about "Closed to the public 24 hours a day... everyone else must exit."

It wouldn't surprise me, when all is said and done, that T0,1,2,3 are renamed "Terminal 1" or "North Terminal" with concourses A, B, C and D, but I suppose that would cause a lot of confusion with roadways, and baggage claims.
That's a nice summary of how things have changed over the past few years. I think I've only been in the Delta terminal once since it was "finished" and it struck me as temporary and not very appealing. I usually fly out of the south complex.

FWIW, the Economy Lot usually does read your plate and open the gate on the way out - I usually pull up to an empty one and am out the gate while the cars that got to the others before me are still fumbling for tickets and credit cards. And agreed that the people mover has the potential to be a vast improvement. The station at the Economy Lot looks like it's finally nearly finished. The interior floors were nearly full when I arrived to park thursday afternoon, so my car is on the roof getting rinsed off by the tropical depression. I've been impressed that the status indicator system for the individual spots seems to still be working reliably this long after the lot opened.
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by chrisl137
FWIW, the Economy Lot usually does read your plate and open the gate on the way out - I usually pull up to an empty one and am out the gate while the cars that got to the others before me are still fumbling for tickets and credit cards.
That's consistent with my experience. I can recall only one time when the exit gate did not open when I approached it and I had to find the email with the QR code in order for the gate to open.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I’ll be more excited when the economy lot starts actually enforcing the EV parking spots and either tows or heavily fines non EV cars parked there. I think a $500 fine automatically added to the parking charge at check out should do the trick.
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I’ll be more excited when the economy lot starts actually enforcing the EV parking spots and either tows or heavily fines non EV cars parked there. I think a $500 fine automatically added to the parking charge at check out should do the trick.
Question is, will EVs have to actually pay for a fill up, or just be parked in the spot? Will there be a minimum amount of kWh that will need to be added to legitimately use a spot?

It's way more expensive than charging at home for me, so while I'll take the EV spot if it's cheaper, I really don't want to fill up there.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by josephstern
Question is, will EVs have to actually pay for a fill up, or just be parked in the spot? Will there be a minimum amount of kWh that will need to be added to legitimately use a spot?

It's way more expensive than charging at home for me, so while I'll take the EV spot if it's cheaper, I really don't want to fill up there.
The spots are for parking an EV - giving EV owners rightly deserved priority over non-EVs, and the convenience of charging if needed. I don't believe there is currently a published requirement that anyone needs to charge to park in the spot - but there should be a fine for any non EV that takes an EV spot since those spots are reserved separately when booking online.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The spots are for parking an EV - giving EV owners rightly deserved priority over non-EVs, and the convenience of charging if needed. I don't believe there is currently a published requirement that anyone needs to charge to park in the spot - but there should be a fine for any non EV that takes an EV spot since those spots are reserved separately when booking online.
I suppose I'd be on the side of that fine also. And maybe we can get one for SUVs that park in 'compact' spots . . .
Old Aug 21, 2023, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Just long as there's the same fine when an EV parks in a non-EV spot, I'm great with that as well.
downinit, DELee and dtwtransport like this.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
FWIW, the Economy Lot usually does read your plate and open the gate on the way out - I usually pull up to an empty one and am out the gate while the cars that got to the others before me are still fumbling for tickets and credit cards.
The gate usually didn't open for me. I don't know if it is because I got the CA classic black/yellow license plate or the space in my license plate number. I don't have a "heart" or special character, just a space in between. When I created my account for the car in LAX parking, I didn't put in the space. I didn't think it would matter as the space between letter was so tiny anyway, but maybe it does. So, I always printed out the QR code and have it in the car if the gate does not open.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Need
The gate usually didn't open for me. I don't know if it is because I got the CA classic black/yellow license plate or the space in my license plate number. I don't have a "heart" or special character, just a space in between. When I created my account for the car in LAX parking, I didn't put in the space. I didn't think it would matter as the space between letter was so tiny anyway, but maybe it does. So, I always printed out the QR code and have it in the car if the gate does not open.
It seems to be random - it will usually let me in with a scan, but on the way out more often than not, I need to dredge up the QR code. FWIW, I had the same issue at Wally Park.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 10:12 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
T4 construction progress.

bzcat likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
LAX People Mover Delay?

According to LA Business Journal:
Completion of the $2 billion automated people mover project at Los Angeles International Airport appears to have been pushed back four months to the fall of next year.
That’s according to a bond rating document released earlier this month from Fitch Rating Service, one of the three major bond rating agencies. In rating $1.2 billion in bonds that had been issued for the project, Fitch said the “passenger service availability” date has been moved further out by 109 days to Oct. 17 of next year from July 1.
https://labusinessjournal.com/featur...ing%20agencies.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there are further delays.
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
NIce catch LAX2Anywhere ! LAWA used to post a monthly powerpoint document that updated the status and current timeline for every major capital improvement project but stopped doing that a few years ago for now apparent reason so it's pretty hard to track the progress of their major projects now.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
(Not sure if this is the right thread Looks like "T2" has been officially revived. I'm seeing it on the LAWA interactive maps and airline apps' maps. Did this coincide with the new T3-TBIT airside walkway?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:08 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There are some limited check in desks in the old T2 and you can exit from the T2 end the takes you out to the old security area with the double down escalators to check in and baggage levels. I do wonder what they'll eventually do with that old now particularly not useful space....anyone know?
Old Dec 7, 2023, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
There are some limited check in desks in the old T2 and you can exit from the T2 end the takes you out to the old security area with the double down escalators to check in and baggage levels. I do wonder what they'll eventually do with that old now particularly not useful space....anyone know?
I passed by today and it seems Norse has moved into the old Delta T2 check-in desks, west of the old demolished TSA escalators. It doesn't look like the wall between T2 and T1.5 has been opened, though. Presumably, passengers will still take the bus at T1.5 to the MSC?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.