Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

LAX Terminal Construction and Landside Access Modernization Program

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2023, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Craig6z
Maybe there is a Star Trek transporter at the Hyatt LAX, that I haven't come across. Otherwise per Google maps it is an 137 hour walk to the HR in Burlingame.
Oops.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
L.A. Metro tweeted this out today as the approved service plan for the C and K light-rail lines after the LAX people mover opens in 2024.

Old Jun 28, 2023, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by trainman74
L.A. Metro tweeted this out today as the approved service plan for the C and K light-rail lines after the LAX people mover opens in 2024.

HkCaGu likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
These are the two direct Metro website links, without a Twitter interface, for the two extensions in the planning stages.

C Line south to Torrance:

https://www.metro.net/projects/green-line-extension/

K Line north to Wilshire Blvd and then Hollywood:

https://www.metro.net/projects/kline...ern-extension/
Old Jun 29, 2023, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Glad they're considering this and all, but:

Forecasted Opening: 2047
Old Jul 3, 2023, 4:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is just a massive boondoggle. BART to SFO has never met projected passenger loads, and it (a) better serves densely populated areas with airport bound passengers (downtown SF, Oakland, and Berkeley), and (b) goes right into the terminal, as opposed to requiring transfer to a people mover. I just don't see where the passenger traffic is going to come from.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is just a massive boondoggle. BART to SFO has never met projected passenger loads, and it (a) better serves densely populated areas with airport bound passengers (downtown SF, Oakland, and Berkeley), and (b) goes right into the terminal, as opposed to requiring transfer to a people mover. I just don't see where the passenger traffic is going to come from.
California's intent to curb use of ICE vehicles.

David
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:39 pm

Exclamation Moderator's Note:

Folks,

Plese do not cross over into OMNI/PR territory.

TWA884
Old Jul 6, 2023, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think LAX and the regional planners need to take the long view on this and build such transportation infrastructure now. Poor planning in previous decades is why ground transportation in/out of LAX is among the worst of any major airport in the world right now. It's amazing how long it can take to get through the horseshoe these days.
SPN Lifer, dlaue, TWA884 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dhuey
I think LAX and the regional planners need to take the long view on this and build such transportation infrastructure now. Poor planning in previous decades is why ground transportation in/out of LAX is among the worst of any major airport in the world right now. It's amazing how long it can take to get through the horseshoe these days.
If you use LAWA buses that can use the LAWA fast lanes it's remarkably quick to get through the horseshoe. Those also improve the other lanes by encouraging people to take the buses. Getting into the horseshoe from the last couple miles out can also be an amazing exercise in frustration, even in the buses, because they have to share lanes with regular traffic. Splitting that traffic among the multiple people-mover stops will hopefully improve the last couple miles in, too. It's an enormous number of people to stuff in and out through a small channel every day.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It was a big bummer when they shot down the idea of the centralized pick-up/drop-off area that would then require everyone to take the people mover to each terminal.
Once the people mover is open, I'm hoping to never have to drive through the horseshoe again - I'll just drop-off/pick-up people at a remote people mover station
SPN Lifer and bzcat like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Now- just as with the buses, the People Mover has similar problems.

Now, if you want to use the LAWA buses, best pick up and drop off is at Terminal 1. Worst is at Terminal 7.

In the future, Terminal 9 will be best for drop off our of the People Mover and TBiT will be worst. For pick up leaving LAX, TBIT will be best and Terminal 9 will be worst.

LAWA and you can't win.

David
Old Jul 7, 2023, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
In the future, Terminal 9 will be best for drop off our of the People Mover and TBiT will be worst. For pick up leaving LAX, TBIT will be best and Terminal 9 will be worst.
I am not sure that I understand the point that you are trying to make.

There will be three APM stations in the central terminal area.

There is a better version of this plan here, which I been unable able to upload; it is to scale and has a legend.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
I am not sure that I understand the point that you are trying to make.

There will be three APM stations in the central terminal area.
And if the trains are all filling up at TBIT/West Station, you'll probably be able to get on a westbound train at 1/7/East Station and just have an extra minute or two ride to the end before your train turns around.

But it will be the equivalent of about 4 full sized buses every two minutes, which is higher capacity than I've ever seen in my waiting around for pickup at T6/7.
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.