Sleeping / Spending Overnight Airside at LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Resources for sleeping in LAX

LINK to sleepinginairports.net for LAX. Includes airside and landside sleeping, Lounges, showers, nearby hotels, etc.

While seating is plentiful – so are the armrests. This means travellers should expect to sleep on sections of carpeted floor. Many sleepers also lament the constant construction at LAX, and the frequent announcements. Noise cancelling headphones or earplugs are a must if you’re hoping to catch some shuteye.

That said, there are a few benches and couches scattered throughout the terminals. In Terminal 1, there is a long bench just past security at the top of the stairs. In the Arrivals Hall of Terminal 6, there are armrest-free benches – though it can be particularly bright and loud here. There are chairs in triangle configurations in Terminals 4 and 7 that are decent for a rest. Gate 148 of TBIT also has a few couches. Snag something when you see it, as options are few and far between. The terminals are very cold. Have a blanket and dress for the terminal temperatures. Explore our guide to sleeping in Los Angeles Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels nearby that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.

-January 2019
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but I couldn't find a forum where this would be appropriate to ask.

I'm going to have a very early (5:45am) departure from LAX in a few weeks, and honestly do not want to spend the money to stay at a hotel. My friend flies out the night before at about 10pm, so I thought I'd go to the airport with her and then spend the night on the floor so I don't have to spend $75+ to sleep for four hours in a hotel.

Will TSA let me through security that early? It's only 7 or 8 hours before I'd normally be going through security...

Thanks!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would assume no for TSA but YMMV.

For general information, check out the "sleeping in airports' website and look for the material on LAX. In fact, don't spend the night in an airport without it.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:59 pm

LAX is a giant buzzing airport all night long. Even if TSA doesn't let you through, there's tons of places pre-security you can spend the night in.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
I did check "Sleeping in Airports" (and have used it before for other overnight stays), but didn't see anything about TSA times on it.

There's a 1am redeye that I could try to standby on instead, although I'd have to get something from the airline pre-security to show that I'm trying to standby on that, I assume?

Otherwise, yeah, I'll find a place to hunker down pre-security.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Since your query is specific to LAX, you will probably receive more knowledgable replies here in the dedicated Los Angeles forum.

Good luck.

~Moderator, Information Desk
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Depends on the terminal. They certainly won't let you at T1, Southwest. They're working through a remodel right now and no passengers are allowed in the terminal for a few hours each night.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
You can standby for the red eye flight, just check in with the airline.

As for sleeping, I guess it depends. Several terminals have departures between 2AM and 4 AM so in theory, you can just hang out. But some terminals go dark after the last departure and TSA will probably clear you out.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
LAX T7 at night

I am facing the same quandry - late in, early out - not much point in getting a hotel to spend 3 hours in the room.

It looks like only a couple of flights leave between 0200 and 0400...

I am landing with UA at T7, but have not been able to find if it does "go dark". Would be glad to find out if it's possible to stay there at night or not.

Originally Posted by bzcat
You can standby for the red eye flight, just check in with the airline.

As for sleeping, I guess it depends. Several terminals have departures between 2AM and 4 AM so in theory, you can just hang out. But some terminals go dark after the last departure and TSA will probably clear you out.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dand99
I am facing the same quandry - late in, early out - not much point in getting a hotel to spend 3 hours in the room.

I am landing with UA at T7, but have not been able to find if it does "go dark". Would be glad to find out if it's possible to stay there at night or not.
Have you tried to call the general airport phone number and ask?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 4:24 am

That might help, but quite often there is a "stock" answer and then there is what happens in practice, which is quite different.

From prior experience, for this sort of question - I would tend to rely more on what pax have actually experienced.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you tried to call the general airport phone number and ask?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald

Five years ago, I took a 6:00 am flight out of T4. I ran into several standby passengers who were rolled over from the previous night's flights and remained inside the terminal even though if was "closed" for the night.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Yes, you can stay. In fact you can roam airside from T7 all the way to T4 now, with all the tunnels open.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I'm not arguing with you--to each their own. But to me $100 is a low price to pay for three hours of solid sleep and a place to shower in a situation like the OPs.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:11 am

overnight at LAX airport

.... and reporting back.

I was able to walk between terminals 5-8 (as I recall there was a locked door in the corridor to 4). Quiet, nothing open, but some pax (few) in all terminals, waiting for flights.

Not uncomfortable. Reasonably quiet (unless too close to a loudspeaker), not too cold (some terminals seem to be heated, some not). Most seats (T7, T8) were padded, no armrests - lying down on them was fine.

I'd do it again.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:07 pm

.... and reporting back.

I was able to walk between terminals 5-8 (as I recall there was a locked door in the corridor to 4). Quiet, nothing open, but some pax (few) in all terminals, waiting for flights.

Not uncomfortable. Reasonably quiet (unless too close to a loudspeaker), not too cold (some terminals seem to be heated, some not). Most seats (T7, T8) were padded, no armrests - lying down on them was fine.

I'd do it again.
Thanks for providing an update ^. I have an upcoming 6am flight on AS and will probably just hang out for a few hours in Terminal 6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.