Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Sleeping / Spending Overnight Airside at LAX

Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Resources for sleeping in LAX

LINK to sleepinginairports.net for LAX. Includes airside and landside sleeping, Lounges, showers, nearby hotels, etc.

While seating is plentiful – so are the armrests. This means travellers should expect to sleep on sections of carpeted floor. Many sleepers also lament the constant construction at LAX, and the frequent announcements. Noise cancelling headphones or earplugs are a must if you’re hoping to catch some shuteye.

That said, there are a few benches and couches scattered throughout the terminals. In Terminal 1, there is a long bench just past security at the top of the stairs. In the Arrivals Hall of Terminal 6, there are armrest-free benches – though it can be particularly bright and loud here. There are chairs in triangle configurations in Terminals 4 and 7 that are decent for a rest. Gate 148 of TBIT also has a few couches. Snag something when you see it, as options are few and far between. The terminals are very cold. Have a blanket and dress for the terminal temperatures. Explore our guide to sleeping in Los Angeles Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels nearby that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.

-January 2019
Print Wikipost

Sleeping / Spending Overnight Airside at LAX

Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Bump on an old post. I was just trying to figure out what to do with my 5am departure and this helped tremendously. Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Yeah, mainline flights in the 4-8 corridor should be fine. I've rolled in late in the evening and seen people already hunkering down.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Bump again just to be sure. Getting into LAX from DFW around midnight 3/3, 8am flt out LAX to HNL in F next morning and I'm a night person anyhow. Wondering/assuming you can still stay inside post-security overnight.

Last time I tried this was at CLT and a cop there was lame and made us leave even though it was 1230am and had a 6am departure next morning.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:09 am

Programs: UA Silver Premier ‘16, ‘17
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Bump again just to be sure. Getting into LAX from DFW around midnight 3/3, 8am flt out LAX to HNL in F next morning and I'm a night person anyhow. Wondering/assuming you can still stay inside post-security overnight.

Last time I tried this was at CLT and a cop there was lame and made us leave even though it was 1230am and had a 6am departure next morning.
Should be fine in Terminals 4-8. Also, the T4-TBIT airside connector recently opened, so you should be able to stay airside the whole time, although they may lock the doors on that connector for a few hours. You'll certainly be able to get through around 5 and not have to be screened again.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:25 am

Stupid question: I have a flight on UA out of LAX, Terminal 7 at 12:45 am (June 8). The terminal supposedly closes at 12 am. Not sure what "closes" means, but how does this affect my flight, if at all?
Old May 31, 2016, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by joer1212
Stupid question: I have a flight on UA out of LAX, Terminal 7 at 12:45 am (June 8). The terminal supposedly closes at 12 am. Not sure what "closes" means, but how does this affect my flight, if at all?
According to whatever you read, it means the security checkpoint will be closed at midnight. Where did you see it? I suspect it's outdated info; unless you can confirm, I'd play it safe and go through before then. If that fails, use the checkpoint at T6/T5/T4/TBIT.

Sadly, I rarely go through T7, so I don't know the actual hours.
Old May 31, 2016, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by joer1212
The ticket / checkin counter is open until 01:00

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ile=1&Region=1

With a 00:45 departure, you will want to to arrive well before, in order to clear TSA security, etc.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; May 31, 2016 at 12:50 am
Old May 31, 2016, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
According to whatever you read, it means the security checkpoint will be closed at midnight. Where did you see it? I suspect it's outdated info; unless you can confirm, I'd play it safe and go through before then. If that fails, use the checkpoint at T6/T5/T4/TBIT.

Sadly, I rarely go through T7, so I don't know the actual hours.
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
The ticket / checkin counter is open until 01:00

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ile=1&Region=1

With a 00:45 departure, you will want to to arrive well before, in order to clear TSA security, etc.
Thanks for the clarification, guys. I figured that's what "closed" meant, though I wanted to be sure.

Here are my sources:

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_lax.aspx?id=5450

http://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/losangeles.htm
Old May 31, 2016, 8:00 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TWA884
Five years ago, I took a 6:00 am flight out of T4. I ran into several standby passengers who were rolled over from the previous night's flights and remained inside the terminal even though if was "closed" for the night.
Since the thread was bumped, I might as well update this information.

Last week, I had a very early flight out ot T4. When the TSA security checkpoint opened at 3:30 am, I saw at least a couple dozen people - who missed their flights the night before - sleeping on cots in the gates areas.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
More recent bump.

Flying LIH-LAX on Hawaiian tomorrow arriving at 11:40pm and then leaving on a Southwest flight at 6:20am. We'll have a checked bag and add it all up and we're thinking about skipping the hotel.

We'll be landing T5 and leaving T1. Any up-to-date thoughts on what we can do till we check in?
Old Mar 30, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RichMSN
More recent bump.

Flying LIH-LAX on Hawaiian tomorrow arriving at 11:40pm and then leaving on a Southwest flight at 6:20am. We'll have a checked bag and add it all up and we're thinking about skipping the hotel.

We'll be landing T5 and leaving T1. Any up-to-date thoughts on what we can do till we check in?
There is no airside connection between T5 and T1, and even if there were, you'd have to exit the secured area to retrieve your bags and check them in for your SW flight.

Southwest does not have late night departures from LAX, the check in counters are likely to be closed by the time that you get there. In addition, the security checkpoints in T1 will be closed before your flight from Lihue lands (Hours Of Operation of Each Terminals).

I suggest looking for a nearby restaurant that's open 24 hours.

Take a look at this thread for additional ideas:
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:23 am

Best spot to overnight between T7 and TBIT LAX

Mods, please move if this is the wrong forum.

I am arriving with UA from IAH at LAX 10:59 p.m. and continue at 8:45 a.m. to HNL. Lounges are closed at night of course and I
don't feel like staying at an airport hotel. Does anyone have any suggestions where the most comfortable spot would be to hang
out for four/five hours before the UA lounge opens at 4:30 a.m.? I will be airside. Not sure if the walkways to TBIT are open during
the night. *A lounge closes at 1 a.m.

Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Couches in TBIT will be best. Very difficult to sleep in T7/8.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Between T7 and TBIT would literally mean T4/5/6 plus some pavement.

Check the sleeping in airports website.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Couches in TBIT will be best. Very difficult to sleep in T7/8.
Thanks. Will keep that in mind provided the corridors are still open during the night. Sounds a much better
way being on a couch than in an uncomfortable chair at T7/8. And last time I checked I could not find any
seats without armrests on both ends there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.