Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Sleeping / Spending Overnight Airside at LAX

Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Resources for sleeping in LAX

LINK to sleepinginairports.net for LAX. Includes airside and landside sleeping, Lounges, showers, nearby hotels, etc.

While seating is plentiful so are the armrests. This means travellers should expect to sleep on sections of carpeted floor. Many sleepers also lament the constant construction at LAX, and the frequent announcements. Noise cancelling headphones or earplugs are a must if youre hoping to catch some shuteye.

That said, there are a few benches and couches scattered throughout the terminals. In Terminal 1, there is a long bench just past security at the top of the stairs. In the Arrivals Hall of Terminal 6, there are armrest-free benches though it can be particularly bright and loud here. There are chairs in triangle configurations in Terminals 4 and 7 that are decent for a rest. Gate 148 of TBIT also has a few couches. Snag something when you see it, as options are few and far between. The terminals are very cold. Have a blanket and dress for the terminal temperatures. Explore our guide to sleeping in Los Angeles Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If youre looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels nearby that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.

-January 2019
Print Wikipost

Sleeping / Spending Overnight Airside at LAX

Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
A lot of employees sleep in the hallway between T6 and T7 post security. it's a long hallway where the electric carts are stored, very flat, and little foot traffic. If not this, then couches at TBIT, but expect more lights and foot traffic there.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
TBIT walkway is always open, there's nothing to close off. I'd head over there, try and stay up until 1am to help passing out. From 1am-430am, nothing comes to mind immediately, just that I expect LAX to be fairly quiet. The TBIT connector would be very quiet, but there's nothing to sit or lay on. I think the AA gates have recliner chairs, right between the TBIT connector and the T6/7/8 connector tunnel.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
*A lounge (re)opens at 7 am in TBIT. The breakfast there will be better than the UC. Plus you can take a shower, pre-flight.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:01 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
some resources

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/usa/losangeles.htm

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-...g-airport.html

The consolidated "What to do on a layover at LAX" thread
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:01 pm

Don't know if anyone still gets an alert about a new post on my thread. In any case my sincere thanks to all who
replied.I am much better informed and know now what to do. Great community, thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
layover at LAX (overnight)

I booked this itinerary (not my best decision) that will require about some hours overnight in LAX. Are there places in the airport to overnight? We have about 7 total hours (time between flights is about 11 hours but landing, departing a/p, arriving a couple hours early, wake up, shower, etc, etc). What's your best tip? Is hotel the only option? Anything decent is ~$150-175 which isn't the end of the world but it defeats the purpose of this dumb itinerary. we overnighted in YVR once and that was miserable and only 9 hours.
I found plenty of hotels but wondering if the airport itself has sleep lounges, etc.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
No sleep lounge at LAX. You can try sleep in terminals as many people have posted in this thread. But personally I will prefer a hotel room.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EP (life Gold), Global Entry, TSA Pre-Check, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bzcat
No sleep lounge at LAX. You can try sleep in terminals as many people have posted in this thread. But personally I will prefer a hotel room.
​​​​​​Thank you-exactly what I was asking. The wife won't go for another overnight so hotel it is.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Whodunit68
​​​​​​Thank you-exactly what I was asking. The wife won't go for another overnight so hotel it is.
cheaper Airbnb room? Would that be an option?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:18 pm

Absolutely, thank you.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: Aadvantage
LAX overnight sleeping near gate 40

Recently, I had to wait 7 hours in LAX overnight. I came in with another flight and neither left the secure area, nor did I check my bags out. All launges closed at about 12:30am. There are many airport employees, security guards, and overnight passengers around, it does not feel unsafe.

I slept in a waiting area near gate 40. A few other passengers were sleeping on the floor and seats (I don't know how they do it with the fixed arm rest..), and there are airport employees working on the hallways (cleaning, etc.); their machines can get a little noisy for short moments. It felt safe and the TSA did not come to kick people out. There are other places further away that become more quiet, such as the International area, but there is much less people around.
Btw, couples, single men, single women do sleep overnight. So others also think this is safe.

I found a sleeping spot on the floor against the windows, behind one of the large rounded columns that covers a little bit from light and noise, and with no people traffic right there.
I put documents, cell, and cash on my pant pockets, and used my backpack as a pillow; covered myself wth my jacket and got about 4 hours of nice sleep.. At 5am the shops opened again and there were lots of passengers already. I got some warm Dunkin Donught for breakfast and moved to my plane.

Btw, the satellite gates such as 52 from American Eagle, close at night. Do not go there until before your flight. There are only a few vending machines, better to get good food at the main gates.
Statman and bzcat like this.

Last edited by ViajandoConMillas; Dec 2, 2019 at 7:40 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 5, 2019, 6:44 pm

Bumping this. Will be arriving at T2 about 1am , with next flight out in 6 hours. I know about TBIT-T8 , but are you allowed to remain airside in T2 at night?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ViajandoConMillas
R A few other passengers were sleeping on the floor and seats (I don't know how they do it with the fixed arm rest..)
I don't do it much anymore, but with a lot of seats you can face the backs of the chairs with your waist at the armrest position and bend yourself around so that your knees are near the back of one seat and your upper body is on the other, while your butt and feet are on parts lined up with the armrests and partly hanging off. It can be surprisingly comfortable.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Bumping this. Will be arriving at T2 about 1am , with next flight out in 6 hours. I know about TBIT-T8 , but are you allowed to remain airside in T2 at night?
Delta has a few late red eye departures so T2 will be fairly empty but not devoid of people. I think you will be fine to stick around. You can take the air side bus to TBIT if you want. There are quite a few early AM departures from TBIT so you won't be so lonely
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
Delta has a few late red eye departures so T2 will be fairly empty but not devoid of people. I think you will be fine to stick around. You can take the air side bus to TBIT if you want. There are quite a few early AM departures from TBIT so you won't be so lonely
Are you kidding, i love solitude

In all seriousness, I don't mind how.many people are there once I can remain airside. I didn't realize the airside bus ran so late? Maybe TBIT is also a option

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.