New Years eve - LA

Old Sep 29, 14, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA / TAM / Multiplus / Smiles / Hertz Gold
New Years Eve - LA

Help with suggestions for a family of 3 (couple + daughter 14 years) to spend the New Years eve in Los Angeles, what you guys suggest?

Ideal is an open area.

Thank you

Last edited by flaviocc; Sep 30, 14 at 7:21 am
Old Sep 29, 14, 10:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Grand Park will have an open air celebration:
For the second year in a row, Grand Park rings in the New Year in a unique civic gathering that brings Angelenos and their family and friends together around the common purpose of looking forward with excitement to the future. Grand Park’s N.Y.E. LA will include music and dancing, along with a new, spectacular interactive countdown, featuring 3-D digital video mapping on two sides of City Hall that will captivate the imagination as it salutes the “heart” of Los Angeles. #NYELA
Here is a review of last year's inaugural celebration:
Grand Park's Inaugural New Year's Eve Creates a Central Celebration for L.A.
Old Sep 29, 14, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Disneyland.
Old Sep 30, 14, 2:44 am

isn't it still unsafe to be outside in LA at midnight on new year's eve? because of all the people who fire their guns in the air?
Old Sep 30, 14, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
isn't it still unsafe to be outside in LA at midnight on new year's eve? because of all the people who fire their guns in the air?
Hyperbole. Overgeneralization. LA is a huge, spread-out area. Just step across the county line and you're safe.
Old Sep 30, 14, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Grand Park will have an open air celebration:
Here is a review of last year's inaugural celebration:
Grand Park's Inaugural New Year's Eve Creates a Central Celebration for L.A.
Thank you. I'll take a look.

Originally Posted by SWCPHX View Post
Disneyland.
No choice for us, Disney, in New Year. Tks.

Originally Posted by crabbing View Post
Never read about...but all areas / places ?

Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Hyperbole. Overgeneralization. LA is a huge, spread-out area. Just step across the county line and you're safe.
Thank you SoCal.

All,

and about Hermosa Beach ? I read that Hermosa Beach Chamber of Commerce, always promote New Years Eve. It's safe and family friendly ?

Thank you.
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:22 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by flaviocc View Post
All,

and about Hermosa Beach ? I read that Hermosa Beach Chamber of Commerce, always promote New Years Eve. It's safe and family friendly ?

Thank you.
Haven't heard about the Hermosa Beach New Year's celebrations before. According to my search, it seems that in the past couple of years this event featured Big Bands sound - "Inspired by Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett among others" - so it most likely caters to an older crowd.

Downtown Long Beach and Universal City Walk also have outdoor New Year's parties.
Old Sep 30, 14, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
Haven't heard about the Hermosa Beach New Year's celebrations before. According to my search, it seems that in the past couple of years this event featured Big Bands sound - "Inspired by Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett among others" - so it most likely caters to an older crowd.

Downtown Long Beach and Universal City Walk also have outdoor New Year's parties.
Thank you. Interesting.

About Hermosa, me (40's) and wife (37's) and very eclectic about music, ok to listen TB and FS.....daughter, I doubt...LOL.

Last edited by flaviocc; Sep 30, 14 at 5:17 pm
Old Sep 30, 14, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might be helpful to know where you are staying?
Old Sep 30, 14, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Here, the hotel :

Marriott Residence Inn Los Angeles/ Redondo Beach
2420 Marine Ave., Redondo Beach.

Tks
Old Oct 1, 14, 7:38 am

We normally stay home on New Year's Eve, but if we are to go somewhere, it will probably be Universal Citywalk.
Old Oct 2, 14, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (1 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by flaviocc View Post
Lived at Hermosa Beach for 15 years, two blocks from the pier!

Yes, I am bias about Hermosa Beach. New Year’s Eve event at Hermosa Beach pier is fun. I liked Hermosa Beach because it is more of place for locals rather than place for tourists out of the town. It is easy for me to say because I lived two blocks from the pier.

But for visitors, the first thing will be parking. New Year’s Eve will be busy and will have hard time finding parking. Also, it will be busy all night long. Band plays outside area and there are public bathrooms at the beach so that will not be a problem. However, all bars and restaurants will be long line all night long…

Bring back memories of my life at Hermosa Beach…
Old Oct 7, 14, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle View Post
Lived at Hermosa Beach for 15 years, two blocks from the pier!

Yes, I am bias about Hermosa Beach. New Year’s Eve event at Hermosa Beach pier is fun. I liked Hermosa Beach because it is more of place for locals rather than place for tourists out of the town. It is easy for me to say because I lived two blocks from the pier.

But for visitors, the first thing will be parking. New Year’s Eve will be busy and will have hard time finding parking. Also, it will be busy all night long. Band plays outside area and there are public bathrooms at the beach so that will not be a problem. However, all bars and restaurants will be long line all night long…

Bring back memories of my life at Hermosa Beach…
Thank you so much.

By all your memories and words, I think it's safe and family friendly !
Old Dec 10, 14, 4:26 am

You have a few different options depending on what area you are in. For example, New Year’s Eve in Downtown Long Beach is at the amphitheater at Rainbow Harbor a great street party or there's the Grand Park countdown party, which is for families, and the Universal CityWalk event. Take a look online for exactly what’s happening at these events this year as it differs slightly from year to year.
Old Dec 16, 14, 1:58 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
They also shoot off the fireworks at Long Beach at the Queen Mary (although beware of it getting fogged out). Grand Park is a good family friendly choice, with a diverse yet safe crowd (bag checks and plenty of security). Unfortunately it has issues similar to Times Square where after the clock strikes midnight, everyone leaves and you get massive traffic. At least with Disneyland, there's plenty of stuff to do after midnight.

Search this Thread