Reload this Page >

LAX speeds up customs process with passport scanners

Old Sep 25, 14, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-p...925-story.html

Note: The thread title is per LA Times article but I do believe it speeds up immigration process as well as custom.

Originally Posted by LA Times
Airport officials opened 40 automated kiosks in the Tom Bradley International Terminal, which handled more than 9.1 million passengers last year. Ten kiosks also have been installed by Delta Air Lines in Terminal 5 and there are plans to put the devices in Terminal 2, home to several international carriers.

~~

With instructions in 13 languages, the automated systems read passports, take fingerprints of non-U.S. citizens and photograph travelers. Items to be declared must be typed into the kiosk.
Old Oct 2, 14, 6:36 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Good to know, wish UA Int'l arrivals would have it at LAX
Old Oct 26, 14, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Passed through LAX immigration this week for the first time in many months, and all I can say is WOW!!!

The entire international arrivals process is incredibly efficient, and dare I say, almost enjoyable. There's a vastly shorter walk (at least from my CX flight, don't recall the gate) with a big glass wall providing views into the beautiful new departures terminal. Then, channeled very quickly to one of dozens of automated passport scanners (wish I'd known I didn't need to fill out the onboard declaration form).

Time from the seatbelt sign going off to reaching curbside was literally less than 30 minutes. That includes waiting at the gate for a jet bridge hookup, waiting for priority baggage to hit the carousel after cargo items, and waiting in the customs clearance line. Caveat being that we arrived during a lull between flights (immigration area was empty), and I was among the first pax to reach the kiosks.

Even more remarkable was how shockingly pleasant all of the ICE employees were, including the guys at customs, who IME have always been the worst of the worst.
Old Oct 27, 14, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

I agree with aBroadAbroad completely.

I came back though TBIT 10 days ago and from deplane to TBIT curb side was a record 15 minutes. It took longer to walk to the computer screens than actually being processed. I had only carry on so didn't even have to wait for luggage.

Lots of pleasant and courteous ICE employees at the arrival hall directing people to the right queues... The elevated walkway from the gate to arrival hall gave really good view of the departure area and the terminal overall. It feels very airy and modern experience, not like the old walk in the dungeon that make you feel like stepping in a time machine to the 1970s.

Edit: Note about the original post I made... the kiosk definitely speed immigration process but it does not help very much to speed up custom process like the LA Times articled claimed. Custom process is still the same at TBIT - you wait for your luggage to come out the belt and you get in line at custom and you may be selected for additional screening. The only thing different about custom process now is that you don't need to fill out the blue custom declaration form with a pen... you type it in at the kiosk and it prints it out for you after you complete the immigration process. I think the LA Times writer was just clueless and does not understand that immigration and customs are two separate processes.

Last edited by bzcat; Oct 27, 14 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 3, 14, 5:26 am

Passport scanning was a lot faster than previous trips through Bradley, happy to say.

For the others who just tried it, did anyone else feel like they had to walk a lot farther from the gate to the passport area? It felt like an eternity--but I was also carrying two duffel bags and a backpack.
Old Nov 3, 14, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by op487062 View Post
Passport scanning was a lot faster than previous trips through Bradley, happy to say.

For the others who just tried it, did anyone else feel like they had to walk a lot farther from the gate to the passport area? It felt like an eternity--but I was also carrying two duffel bags and a backpack.
The scanners are located in the same place as the old immigration desks. But the walk can be a lot longer depending on which gate you deplaned.
Old Feb 9, 15, 5:32 pm

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Big improvent at LAX immigration-IMPRESSED!

(Sorry for potential typos--really tired)

Just cleared LAX immigration, waiting now at LAX T5 for my Delta flight to OGG.

What a difference from last year (March) when it took circa 3 hours to get through.

But today, I was impressed. There were roughly 50 (at a quick count) automated machines, which scan the passport and take fingerprints and then print a receipt to be taken to the immigration officer. To use them, you must have visited the US under visa waiver at least once since 2008.

There was a very proactive team of roughly 15-20(!) staff explaining how to use the machines and directing people. Oh, my God, I took me maybe 10 minutes to get to the immigration desk! Suitably impressed!

What a change! I understand the automated machines (which someone here advised me about recently in a separate post) were introduced last summer (if I am correct).

Last edited by johnspenceruk; Feb 9, 15 at 5:48 pm Reason: typo, more typos
Old Feb 9, 15, 5:34 pm

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
It's great that something has been done about the long lines. It's the same deal at ORD.
Old Feb 9, 15, 5:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That sounds great. Thank god, was dreading immigration in a couple of weeks. Has always been a nightmare.
Old Feb 9, 15, 5:46 pm

Programs: Skyteam elite, One world Emerald
Agreed. Went through there last week, coming off the late BA flight (268?). Did not use the machines, but only 1 person in front of me at the immigration line. With this improvement, and the new international terminal, LAX is almost a joy to go through
Old Feb 9, 15, 5:55 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Originally Posted by johnspenceruk View Post
(Sorry for potential typos--really tired)

Just cleared LAX immigration, waiting now at LAX T5 for my Delta flight to OGG.

What a difference from last year (March) when it took circa 3 hours to get through.

But today, I was impressed. There were roughly 50 (at a quick count) automated machines, which scan the passport and take fingerprints and then print a receipt to be taken to the immigration officer. To use them, you must have visited the US under visa waiver at least once since 2008.

There was a very proactive team of roughly 15-20(!) staff explaining how to use the machines and directing people. Oh, my God, I took me maybe 10 minutes to get to the immigration desk! Suitably impressed!

What a change! I understand the automated machines (which someone here advised me about recently in a separate post) were introduced last summer (if I am correct).
I trust you just waved your Bronze card and the sea parted.....
Old Feb 9, 15, 6:16 pm

Programs: OneWorld, Star Alliance, SkyTeam, AMEX
Originally Posted by Banana4321 View Post
I trust you just waved your Bronze card and the sea parted.....
Sorry, I am not following. What does the BA card have to do with LAX immigration?
Old Feb 9, 15, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Big improvent at LAX immigration-IMPRESSED!

I am glad you are enjoying your brief stay in Los Angeles.
Old Feb 9, 15, 11:51 pm

Thread moved to relevant forum. The BA forum is not the "everything" forum. Thanks for understanding.
Old Feb 10, 15, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The change at LAX came in last year and yes it is helpful. I think it was first started at the US CBP's in Canada as I saw this last summer in YYZ. The great thing is that really slow people and large families can spend all the time they want at a single terminal while more adept and single travelers can move past them and on to the human portion of immigration.

Search this Thread