Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uber and Lyft @ LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by CalItalian
That's not legal. Nobody can pickup on the departure level. I know shuttle/van drivers that work picking up and dropping off at LAX. My friend works for the LAX police. This is all illegal. Get caught and it will cost the driver a huge ticket and possible impound.
I hate bring this up months later, but there is nothing illegal about picking up passengers from the departures level at LAX. I always have my wife pick me up there when I return.

The LAX PD even tweets that this is an acceptable alternative.
https://twitter.com/LAAirportPD/stat...13289219964928
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
That's not legal. Nobody can pickup on the departure level. I know shuttle/van drivers that work picking up and dropping off at LAX. My friend works for the LAX police. This is all illegal. Get caught and it will cost the driver a huge ticket and possible impound.
Originally Posted by sngorman
I hate bring this up months later, but there is nothing illegal about picking up passengers from the departures level at LAX. I always have my wife pick me up there when I return.

The LAX PD even tweets that this is an acceptable alternative.
https://twitter.com/LAAirportPD/stat...13289219964928
I agree, pickups on the departures level are no problem. To say otherwise is just wrong.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 1:10 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by sngorman
I agree that for private parties it is perfectly legal to pick passengers up on the upper level; I've been doing it for at least twenty-five years. However, I'm not sure if the same rules apply to commercial services such as shuttles, taxis and buses.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TWA884
I agree that for private parties it is perfectly legal to pick passengers up on the upper level; I've been doing it for at least twenty-five years. However, I'm not sure if the same rules apply to commercial services such as shuttles, taxis and buses.
There is no regulation prohibiting picking up on the upper level - the prohibition is against picking up passengers anywhere but at designated curb area. Taxi and shuttle/buses can only pick up from designated curb area and that happens to be at the lower level. The few times I used livery cars at LAX, I asked them to pick me up at T4 upper level and they had no problem with it.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
There is no regulation prohibiting picking up on the upper level - the prohibition is against picking up passengers anywhere but at designated curb area. Taxi and shuttle/buses can only pick up from designated curb area and that happens to be at the lower level. The few times I used livery cars at LAX, I asked them to pick me up at T4 upper level and they had no problem with it.
Good to know.

Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
I agree, pickups on the departures level are no problem. To say otherwise is just wrong.
Obviously you have not met the LAX Police...and since I have friends on that force, I can assure you they are looking out for - and have been ticketing - UBER pickups on the departure level. No driver from a car rental, hotel, bus service or parking lot can pick-up from the departure level, either. That also applies to taxi's and shuttle services.

Last edited by CalItalian; Mar 19, 2015 at 11:29 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Obviously you have not met the LAX Police...and since I have friends on that force, I can assure you they are looking out for - and have been ticketing - UBER pickups on the departure level. No driver from a car rental, hotel, bus service or parking lot can pick-up from the departure level, either. That also applies to taxi's and shuttle services.
Which is different than what you had said before (emphasis added):

Old Mar 19, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
How do they know it is Uber? It could be my BFF...
Old Mar 20, 2015, 11:53 am

Livery cars are not required to pickup at designated curb area so they can pick up anywhere on the upper level, like private passenger cars.

Only taxi, van, and shuttle have designated pick up area.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bzcat
Livery cars are not required to pickup at designated curb area so they can pick up anywhere on the upper level, like private passenger cars.

Only taxi, van, and shuttle have designated pick up area.
So assuming it was legal for Uber to pickup at LAX at all, would they be a taxi or a livery?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So assuming it was legal for Uber to pickup at LAX at all, would they be a taxi or a livery?
That's the million dollar question

Uber would say they neither and not subject to anyone's rules

LAWA probably will say they are livery service.

But the people using it likely is using it as an alternative to taxi.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:22 pm

Mrs. Guru and I are arriving LAX on Monday. Two week trip so we have 2 large suitcases plus 2 rollerboards. Last time this happened was in NYC and we user UberXL. Will Uber Black have the capacity we need?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:43 am

Decided to stop at Trader Joe's before heading to the port at San Pedro. When best to tell the driver about the waypoint?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by captiveguru
Decided to stop at Trader Joe's before heading to the port at San Pedro. When best to tell the driver about the waypoint?
Let me make sure that I understand your question correctly. Are you looking for Trader Joe's store located between LAX and the Port of Los Angeles World Cruise Center?

If so, there are several Trader Joe's locations that may work for you.

The one closest to LAX is at 8645 S. Sepulveda Blvd. - it is about half a mile north of the airport not too far from In-N-Out. It is in the opposite direction from San Pedro, but probably involves the shortest detour.

Additional stores located along the way to San Pedro and not too far from the 405 Freeway are at 1800 Rosecrans Blvd. in Manhattan Beach, 1821 Manhattan Beach Blvd., also in Manhattan Beach, and 19720 Hawthorne Blvd. in Torrance.

If you go to Find a Trader Joe's site, use Zip Code 90045 for the location.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Just a data point. I was unsuccessful in getting an UberX pickup from LAX. 4 times drivers accepted and then canceled. Apparently UberBlack or UberPlus are the only way to go, as they have some sort of permission to pick up at the airport. (this may change in the near future according to media).

I ended up taking the FlyAway bus to get downtown.
By the way, ever single Uber ride I took during my 4 days in LA was on surge, ranging from 1.4 to 2.5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.