Wiki Posts
Search

8 Hours of Takeoffs at LAX Captured in One Photo

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
8 Hours of Takeoffs at LAX Captured in One Photo

Whenever I'm in the office and having a hard time finding the right words to write those 140-character long nuggets of frequent flyer news and opinion, I look out the window and watch planes take off down LAX's south runways.

Photographer and avgeek Michael Kelley decided to spend a Saturday morning taking hundreds of pictures of planes taking off at LAX's south runways. After he compiled some of them, here's what he got...

http://www.businessinsider.com/time-...-at-lax-2014-4
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Wow. That's such an awesome image! Thanks for sharing. Cadence! ^
Old Apr 5, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
cool pic
Old Apr 5, 2014, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Very cool pic. But I'd love to see one which represented each aircraft type and each airline. I immediately noticed there were no A380s in the pic (but delighted to see a 747-8, which I've not seen in the flesh). Also, I often see what looks like an Antonov transport plane in the cargo area - would love to see that in the pic.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I immediately noticed there were no A380s in the pic... Also, I often see what looks like an Antonov transport plane in the cargo area - would love to see that in the pic.
I may be wrong, but every A380 that I've seen land and take off has done so on the north runways which might explain why there aren't any in this picture.
There are some strange planes just parked and hanging out by the south runways most days. They seem to come and go, but I don't think I've ever seen one take off.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
The other cool thing to note is the five airplanes which appear to have been fortuitously caught landing (I presume on the north runways?) at the bottom right. It's an interesting (if imprefect) way to represent which airlines serve LAX and the frequency with which they do!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Nothing current
If anyone's interested, here is approximately where he was standing to take these photos.

-S
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Very cool pic. But I'd love to see one which represented each aircraft type and each airline. I immediately noticed there were no A380s in the pic (but delighted to see a 747-8, which I've not seen in the flesh). Also, I often see what looks like an Antonov transport plane in the cargo area - would love to see that in the pic.
You can see SQ, AF, and EK A380 landing on 24R in the bottom right of the photo

A380 doesn't usually use the south runways (25R/25L) for landing or takeoff so that's why you don't see it in the composite takeoff image.

Originally Posted by iapetus
The other cool thing to note is the five airplanes which appear to have been fortuitously caught landing (I presume on the north runways?) at the bottom right. It's an interesting (if imprefect) way to represent which airlines serve LAX and the frequency with which they do!
Yes, very cool ^
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
The photographer describes how he took the photos to composite the image: http://mpkelley.com/blog/2014/4/1/ph...-wake-tur.html
Old Apr 7, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I like how you can see the China Eastern taxiing to take off and then see it in the air!
Old Apr 10, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm the guy who took this shot!! Thanks so much for the post. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. Glad you guys like it I was afraid you'd be my toughest audience.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mikekelley
I'm the guy who took this shot!! Thanks so much for the post. If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them. Glad you guys like it I was afraid you'd be my toughest audience.
Um...? More like your biggest appreciators!

Nice to meet you, Mike!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Awesome picture!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Um...? More like your biggest appreciators!
+1

If you're willing to share any other pictures that you've taken, I'm sure that we'd love to see them. This one's is fantastic!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
If anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.
OK, I'll take a shot! Am I correct in thinking that you had to reposition each plane slightly when putting the composite together? If you had merely superposed all of the individual images, I would have expected all of the planes to more or less line up along the same two paths corresponding to each of LAX' south runways.

While that might have been more "accurate", this product looks better!

Glad you guys like it I was afraid you'd be my toughest audience.
Nah! +1 on how cool this is! ^

The only reason the audience might have gone tough on you would have been if you'd stated some opinion about something.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.