Search

LAX Isolated Western Gates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Motel 6 Club Avoir Le Cafard
LAX Isolated Western Gates

Can anyone tell me,

What is the purpose and function of those isolated gates (e.g. 409) at the far west of the airfield, west of TBIT? Are they for prisoners? Illegal aliens? Quarantine? Are they connected to any other passenger terminals via tunnels?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 7:12 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by mbstone
Can anyone tell me,

What is the purpose and function of those isolated gates (e.g. 409) at the far west of the airfield, west of TBIT? Are they for prisoners? Illegal aliens? Quarantine? Are they connected to any other passenger terminals via tunnels?
They have been primarily overflow for International flights. With the rebuilding of TBIT, one would suspect usage would drop. Once in a very while there are domestic planes parked there, but airlines hate to use it because access is only via bus.

Also, used on occasion if there is a potential security issue on an incoming flight.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
This is where they routinely take all the passengers on 777s arriving after 12+ hour flights to unload them and cram them all into a few busses so the can be driven packed like sardines for the last few miles to the now expanded Tom Bradley International Terminal. I believe they are known as LAX's pemier gateway to the world.

Lest any rumors circulate that their usage has been diminished by the opening of the TBIT expansion, I can assure everyone they are alive and well because I disembarked from a 777 there for the umpteen'th time just this Monday.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
This is where they routinely take all the passengers on 777s arriving after 12+ hour flights to unload them and cram them all into a few busses so the can be driven packed like sardines for the last few miles to the now expanded Tom Bradley International Terminal. I believe they are known as LAX's pemier gateway to the world.

Lest any rumors circulate that their usage has been diminished by the opening of the TBIT expansion, I can assure everyone they are alive and well because I disembarked from a 777 there for the umpteen'th time just this Monday.
You do realize that there is no net gain in the number of gates right now until the old TBIT gates are torn down right? That's why the bus gates are still being used although I know they are beginning to phase them out as much as possible.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei
You do realize that there is no net gain in the number of gates right now until the old TBIT gates are torn down right? That's why the bus gates are still being used although I know they are beginning to phase them out as much as possible.
They're in the process of tearing down the old gates right now, so progress is being made.

OP, these gates are often used during diversions too. QF7 was recently put at these gates when it was to diverted to LAX while DFW was having horrible ice storms.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 8:38 am

I think it's better to have these antiquated gates than to not have the gates at all. We've all sat on the tarmac before due to gate shortage and know that torture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.