Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Isolated Western Gates

LAX Isolated Western Gates

Old Dec 7, 13, 6:45 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: PGA
Programs: Expedia All Your Booking Channels Are Belong To Us Club
Posts: 5,024
LAX Isolated Western Gates

Can anyone tell me,

What is the purpose and function of those isolated gates (e.g. 409) at the far west of the airfield, west of TBIT? Are they for prisoners? Illegal aliens? Quarantine? Are they connected to any other passenger terminals via tunnels?
mbstone is offline  
Old Dec 7, 13, 7:12 pm
  #2  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Platinum & MM; DL Diamond; AA dirt; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Posts: 4,543
Originally Posted by mbstone View Post
Can anyone tell me,

What is the purpose and function of those isolated gates (e.g. 409) at the far west of the airfield, west of TBIT? Are they for prisoners? Illegal aliens? Quarantine? Are they connected to any other passenger terminals via tunnels?
They have been primarily overflow for International flights. With the rebuilding of TBIT, one would suspect usage would drop. Once in a very while there are domestic planes parked there, but airlines hate to use it because access is only via bus.

Also, used on occasion if there is a potential security issue on an incoming flight.
Craig6z is offline  
Old Dec 7, 13, 7:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SAN
Programs: PR Premier Elite
Posts: 1,938
This is where they routinely take all the passengers on 777s arriving after 12+ hour flights to unload them and cram them all into a few busses so the can be driven packed like sardines for the last few miles to the now expanded Tom Bradley International Terminal. I believe they are known as LAX's pemier gateway to the world.

Lest any rumors circulate that their usage has been diminished by the opening of the TBIT expansion, I can assure everyone they are alive and well because I disembarked from a 777 there for the umpteen'th time just this Monday.
Mabuk dan gila is offline  
Old Dec 8, 13, 3:04 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: Airplanes!
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
This is where they routinely take all the passengers on 777s arriving after 12+ hour flights to unload them and cram them all into a few busses so the can be driven packed like sardines for the last few miles to the now expanded Tom Bradley International Terminal. I believe they are known as LAX's pemier gateway to the world.

Lest any rumors circulate that their usage has been diminished by the opening of the TBIT expansion, I can assure everyone they are alive and well because I disembarked from a 777 there for the umpteen'th time just this Monday.
You do realize that there is no net gain in the number of gates right now until the old TBIT gates are torn down right? That's why the bus gates are still being used although I know they are beginning to phase them out as much as possible.
ShikaSenbei is offline  
Old Dec 16, 13, 9:07 am
  #5  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: LAX/SNA
Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,887
Originally Posted by ShikaSenbei View Post
You do realize that there is no net gain in the number of gates right now until the old TBIT gates are torn down right? That's why the bus gates are still being used although I know they are beginning to phase them out as much as possible.
They're in the process of tearing down the old gates right now, so progress is being made.

OP, these gates are often used during diversions too. QF7 was recently put at these gates when it was to diverted to LAX while DFW was having horrible ice storms.
PainCorp is offline  
Old Dec 20, 13, 8:38 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 471
I think it's better to have these antiquated gates than to not have the gates at all. We've all sat on the tarmac before due to gate shortage and know that torture.
maskedmesothorium is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: