The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
The Proud Bird Is a High-Flying Food Hall With Aviation Views

The Proud Bird is back and brighter than ever, featuring an airy new setup complete with floating planes overhead, a casual food lineup, and lots of room to watch the comings and goings of the airport nearby.

<snip>

Bellwether chef Ted Hopson and business partner Ann-Marie Verdi consulted on the menu, which is offered out to the public via a series of six small stations. There’s one for rotating Asian food, another for Italian, a third for standard American fare, and so on — plus a stop at Bludso’s BBQ, a stand all its own, serving barbecue now that the Compton location has closed up shop. Diners pay a la carte for their meals during lunch and dinner, but weekend brunch means all-you-can-eat fare at $30 a head.

<snip>
Print Wikipost

The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
UPDATE

Closing pushed to Dec. 21st. 2013
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:33 am

Just read they got a one month reprieve so that negotiations could continue.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Proud Bird given a new 1 year lease.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-1...#axzz2nUQ2De6u

HP
Old Dec 17, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I have a bit over a 6hr layover at LAX on Jan 1. Does anyone know if Proud Bird will be open on the 1st and what is the best way to get from T4 to Proud Bird (and back).

Many thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by catmndu
I have a bit over a 6hr layover at LAX on Jan 1. Does anyone know if Proud Bird will be open on the 1st and what is the best way to get from T4 to Proud Bird (and back).

Many thanks for the advice!
Unfortunately, they are closed on Jan 1.

But for future reference, the best way to get to Proud Bird from T4 is to take the LAX Shuttle "G" to the Green Line Aviation station, and then walk to the place. It is located 1 block north of the train station on Aviation Blvd. You will actually pass by Proud Bird on the "G" shuttle on your way to the train station.

Do the reverse to get back to T4.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 11:19 pm

I once wandered onto the Proud Bird property while on a bike ride. I liked looking at the old planes littered around the property. I didn't go inside, but it sounds like I need to go check it out sometime this year. Now to find someone to go with me. "No no, it will be great, it's RIGHT by the airport. Planes fly RIGHT by it."

Side story, I found a... um... peace pipe in a bush in the Proud Bird parking lot. Thought about taking it, but I have no use for it and I'm pretty sure the owner was going to come back eventually to find it.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:20 pm

I thought this place sounded interesting, and I am going to be in LAX but I found that they are only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. How many restaurants with expensive leases could afford that sort of downtime? Maybe there's a good reason for it.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by WillTravel
I thought this place sounded interesting, and I am going to be in LAX but I found that they are only open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. How many restaurants with expensive leases could afford that sort of downtime? Maybe there's a good reason for it.
They were winding their business down in anticipation of closing. The hours will be extended in 2014.

Originally Posted by The Proud Bird
Due to the overwhelming response from our loyal guests, The Proud Bird will remain open! Now through December 21st, we will be open every day from 11 am to 8 pm and for our amazing Sunday brunch from 9 am to 3 pm. Starting December 22nd, we will be open Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 11 am to 8 pm. Join us for Sunday brunch from 9 am to 3 pm. We will extend our hours in the New Year so please check our website for updated hours. Happy Holidays everyone!

FWIW, these were their business hours prior to the upheaval:

Code:
Hours:
Monday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm Tuesday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm Wednesday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm Thursday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm Friday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm Saturday 11:00 am – 11:00 pm Sunday 9:00 am – 10:00 pm
Old Jan 4, 2014, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Glad to read of the reprieve and that sensible heads prevailed at the LAX admin. Have enjoyed a few lunches/dinners while transiting LAX over the years, spending time looking at the photos in the various rooms and hallways. Will be back at LAX next month for an overnight and will pay another visit.

Was really shocked when I read the initial news story, it's like shutting down a branch of the Smithsonian.
Old May 5, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
I once wandered onto the Proud Bird property while on a bike ride. I liked looking at the old planes littered around the property. I didn't go inside, but it sounds like I need to go check it out sometime this year. Now to find someone to go with me. "No no, it will be great, it's RIGHT by the airport. Planes fly RIGHT by it."

Side story, I found a... um... peace pipe in a bush in the Proud Bird parking lot. Thought about taking it, but I have no use for it and I'm pretty sure the owner was going to come back eventually to find it.
I remember seeing cats inside those old airplanes, sitting on pilots seats! Wonder if the cats are still there.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by Taipei
I remember seeing cats inside those old airplanes, sitting on pilots seats! Wonder if the cats are still there.
Any updates if place will stay open past the end of the year?\
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Beloved Proud Bird Restaurant set to soar at LAX for 20 years instead of shutting down for good

The iconic Proud Bird Restaurant, an LAX fixture for half a century, will fly on for at least the next two decades, averting a planned shutdown that had saddened aviation enthusiasts, South Bay residents and tourists alike.

The Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners awarded the parent company of the history-laden aviation-themed eatery with its displays of historic aircraft and panoramic runway views a 20-year lease Thursday.

Anaheim-based Specialty Restaurant Corp., was the lone bidder to respond to Los Angeles International Airport’s request for proposals for the 6.5-acre Aviation Boulevard site, said President and CEO John Tallichet.

<snip>

“We have to invest a minimum of $5 million in the property,” Tallichet added. “The character of the restaurant with the history is still going to remain; we are going to upgrade the rest of the building.”

That includes a new entrance, roof, interior remodel and infrastructure improvements. Airport officials said the restaurant will close temporarily during the work.

<snip>
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Well, it certainly needs the $5M. I would have been happier had the airport taken over the land and turned it into a parking lot or something. But if the Proud Bird is going to be there for 20 more years, they absolutely need to upgrade the physical plant, the menus, the food quality, the service, and the overall "feel" of the place!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
This place is awesome,

Great buffet lunch, great brunch, outdoor movies on occasion.

Nice to see it stay around.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I just went here on a date. Loved the food, amazing for spotting. Great photos on the wall even if they sort of don't really cover the last 40-50 years or so of LAX history.

The outdoor seating area is the best. I need to come here more to order their $6.50 house white and watch planes during golden hour slash happy hour. I work in Santa Monica so I can make it work.

But the place aside all that is relatively depressed. It's enormous and could really use a face lift. Even the entrance sign looks dumpy.

Hopefully with the renovations they can really turn it into an amazing hang out. I think it can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.