Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

The Proud Bird Restaurant has Reopened as a Food Bazaar

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 13, 17, 1:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: TWA884
Wiki Link
The Proud Bird Is a High-Flying Food Hall With Aviation Views

The Proud Bird is back and brighter than ever, featuring an airy new setup complete with floating planes overhead, a casual food lineup, and lots of room to watch the comings and goings of the airport nearby.

<snip>

Bellwether chef Ted Hopson and business partner Ann-Marie Verdi consulted on the menu, which is offered out to the public via a series of six small stations. There’s one for rotating Asian food, another for Italian, a third for standard American fare, and so on — plus a stop at Bludso’s BBQ, a stand all its own, serving barbecue now that the Compton location has closed up shop. Diners pay a la carte for their meals during lunch and dinner, but weekend brunch means all-you-can-eat fare at $30 a head.

<snip>
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 1, 17, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Glad they are back

Found this place by accident when work took me all over US, but primarily CA and west coat.

If Proud Bird 2.0 is as good as original, it would be worth a trip from LAX, unlike InNout Burger There is a long thread somewhere about how to do it on a layover ....
Old Jul 9, 17, 2:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
LA Weekly's post has a picture that shows a patio that appears to be on the north side of the property so you can spot outside.

The Spot for Plane-Spotters and Brunch-Eaters Has Reopened

Also interesting that the photo shows a WN plane landing on 25R.

David
Old Aug 13, 17, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Went to Brunch at Proud Bird with 3 FT friends. It is an odd set up at brunch- pre fixe ($30 inclusive of soft drinks), you pay as you enter. There are 3 stations serving 6 different types of food and a dessert station. One of the stations serves Bludsoe's BBQ and that is where I got most of my grub. The food was set up in a buffet and also served to order- no table service. Non- alkie beverages are self serve there is also a full service bar. "Bottomless" Mimosas are $12.
All of the food was okay to very good, service was fine. BIG groups in the dining area make it very noisy.
And yes, the planespotting is wonderful. I will happily return for lunch or early dinner but not for brunch.
Old Aug 14, 17, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
The $30 pre fixe is only weekend brunch. All other times and days are ala carte.

Food is ok in my opinion... could be better. But plane spotting from the patio is spectacular. Also, cheap $3 beer during happy hour.
Old Aug 22, 17, 4:11 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Bludso's BBQ Grand Opening Celebration

Leave your white t-shirts at home and come celebrate Bludso's BBQ Grand Opening Celebration at The Proud Bird on Saturday August 26th!

Join us from 11am to 3pm for a festive picnic before the summer is over and enjoy $2 off BBQ items and $5 off a full rack of ribs. Meet Kevin Bludso, the legendary BBQ mastermind behind Bludso's and featured Food Network personality. If you're still hungry, enter our rib eating contest for a chance to win a $100 gift card. Bring the whole family and an empty stomach- Hope to see you there!
Old Oct 4, 17, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
But it does have its own LAX "G" shuttle stop at Aviation & 111th street so going to/from LAX is relatively easy.

Access to/from hotels is also possible via local buses. Big Blue Bus #3 , Culver City #6 , and Beach Cities #109 serves most hotels near Century Blvd and stops at Proud Bird (Aviation & 111th Street).

Edit: it appears that the outbound (west side) "G" shuttle stop and bus stop at 111th street has been eliminated (relocated?) due to Crenshaw line construction. But regardless... it is a 0.5 mile walk from Aviation station (final stop of "G" shuttle, BBB #3 , Culver City #6 ) with paved sidewalk!
I'm considering spending a bit of time there since I have a 5 hour layover at LAX coming up. Unfortunately it looks like you have to have proof that you took the Metro in order to go back to LAX via the Green Line bus. Taking the #6 bus (after taking the C line to the LAX bus station) is probably the best option from the airport now; taking Metro Rail for a stop or two and coming back via the Green Line may also still be viable for those with TAP cards already.
Old Jan 31, 18, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Some photos I took from the Proud Bird patio last week

Old Jan 31, 18, 2:27 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Gold, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
Some photos I took from the Proud Bird patio last week
Food looks great!
Old Nov 2, 18, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Finally got a chance to go today. The food item I got was pretty good and surprisingly had a kick to it (in a good way). I'd go back again if I'm in the area.

Old Nov 3, 18, 6:48 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Gold, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Made a point to go visit the new incarnation while nearby, not impressed and staff quite rude. Doubt I'll return.
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
Made a point to go visit the new incarnation while nearby, not impressed and staff quite rude. Doubt I'll return.
The person behind one of the food counters that I dealt with yesterday seemed pleasant enough. Maybe it depends on the time of day?
Old Nov 3, 18, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Finally got a chance to go today. The food item I got was pretty good and surprisingly had a kick to it (in a good way). I'd go back again if I'm in the area.

Hurry, before there are tariffs on those chopsticks!
JDiver likes this.