Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Southwest T1...How much time should I allow myself?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere

It's actually my wife. She has a flight out at 9:10 pm on this Sat evening. No checked luggage. She also needs to drop rental car off at Hertz. Luckily I haven't had to fly out of LAX for a long time but I know it is obviously very busy. Any suggestions on how much time she should allow herself?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Originally Posted by koctail
It's actually my wife. She has a flight out at 9:10 pm on this Sat evening. No checked luggage. She also needs to drop rental car off at Hertz. Luckily I haven't had to fly out of LAX for a long time but I know it is obviously very busy. Any suggestions on how much time she should allow herself?
Be at Hertz by 8PM and you will be fine.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
900pm on a Saturday should be reasonably quiet. Probably not much, if any line at T1 security.

That said, it depends on her comfort level buffer.

She needs to get on the Hertz shuttle and then ride that to T1, which is the first stop (thankfully).

She then needs to get through security and to her gate before the boarding cut-off (or in time for her boarding group).

Arriving at Hertz at 8:00pm should do the trick assuming everything goes as planned. I'm a bit more paranoid I would personally arrive a bit earlier.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by OskiBear
900pm on a Saturday should be reasonably quiet. Probably not much, if any line at T1 security.

That said, it depends on her comfort level buffer.

She needs to get on the Hertz shuttle and then ride that to T1, which is the first stop (thankfully).

She then needs to get through security and to her gate before the boarding cut-off (or in time for her boarding group).

Arriving at Hertz at 8:00pm should do the trick assuming everything goes as planned. I'm a bit more paranoid I would personally arrive a bit earlier.
+1. 7:30 would be my goal. My slogan for these situations - I'd rather be here wishing I was out there than out there wishing I was here.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 12:13 pm

Notice "probably" okay to arrive by 8, but you didn't mention that as a target time. I'd aim for 8 pm at Southwest, at the latest. I'd certainly want to get to Hertz earlier. Unless she's dashing out of a meeting or such, I just don't see the sense of cutting it so close and hoping the car return is quick, the shuttle bus to the airport is fast, security lines are short (for WN and US), etc. Yes, T1 is the first shuttle bus stop, but you didn't say anything about her needing to do something earlier that would warrant arriving so late. Why not get there earlier and not have to rush?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:53 am

I would go for 7-7:30pm only because you do not know if a lot of people are returning their vehicles to Hertz and it takes time to have the staff check the car out and hand you a receipt then hopefully have the shuttle ready or wait for it to return,depending how many shuttles they have, the T1 terminal security lines move a bit quick,they look longer then one might want but the move swiftly. Safe Travels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.