Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Shopping near LAX?

Shopping near LAX?

Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Shopping near LAX?

Hello,
I just found this website while researching places to stay in LA, and I am hoping to become an active member!

I am going on a trip soon where I have almost 24 hours for a layover at LAX. I was hoping to get some shopping in while I am there and have been researching some places. I don't want to go too far into the city, so I was looking mainly at the west side.

I was thinking of staying at the Four Points by Sheraton Los Angeles Westside near the Westfield Culver City Mall, but I heard from several friends that it is not a nice area. Is that true? I am a female traveling alone so I don't want to compromise my safety just to shop.

I also found Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Torrance near the Del Amo Fashion Center, which seems like it would be in a nicer area. Since I don't know the area, I am not sure where the best areas would be.

I would prefer to be close to LAX since I am thinking of taking an airport shuttle to and from the airport to save some money (I heard going to both places by taxi would be around $40 each way and I have plenty of time).

I don't want to go to the Third Street Promenade because I think it's silly to drop $200+ on a hotel room just to shop for a day. I was hoping to stay in the $100 range for the hotel room.. no more than $150.

Are either of my choices reasonable or should I try to find a different place? I mainly just want to find a safe place to shop and I don't want to stay in Culver City if it is unsafe.

Thank you!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Del Amo is certainly a cleaner, nicer part of town but I don't think you'll feel unsafe around Culver City either. Neither place is close enough for a hotel that will have an airport shuttle. The Torrance Marriott is even closer to Del Amo than the Doubletree (just across a tiny street as opposed to across a huge 8-lane boulevard), and is a significantly nicer hotel as well.

If you're just looking for standard shopping mall shopping, Del Amo is a great choice. The last time I checked, it was the second largest mall in the country (after the Mall of America). It's so big, in fact, that many of the major stores are represented twice so that you don't have to walk the entire length of the place to find what you're looking for.

But if you're looking for upscale shopping or boutique stores, you won't find them there.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your quick response!
I am leaning against Culver City because I've been reading that there were shootings in the mall. Granted, it was a couple of years ago but could it have changed that much?

Do you think SuperShuttle or Prime Shuttle is an ok service to use in Los Angeles? I've used SuperShuttle a couple of times in Baltimore and hated it, so I was wondering if it is much of the same in LA.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
I don't think Westfield Culver City is unsafe either and there is Howard Hughes Promenade nearby with a Nordstrom Rack.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 2:14 pm
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Agreed. Culver City isn't unsafe. Is Century City too far away from LAX for you? If you want a good shopping experience, IMHO, the Westfield there is FAR better than what both Culver City and Torrence have to offer.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Why don't you rent a car?

I wouldn't avoid Culver City or Fox Hills just because of what you read. It's in by no means in a "bad" neighborhood.

Del Amo is merely adequate (not high end), but it's definitely NOT the 2nd largest mall in the country (if Wikipedia is to be believed, it's the 5th largest... #4 happens to be South Coast Plaza in OC).

What kind of shopping were you looking for? That would help us better Target an area for you.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 8:06 am
Original Poster

I only graduated college a year ago so I am not looking at high-end clothes. I would like to shop at places like Free People, Forever 21, H&M, Sephora, that range.

I am looking for places around 30 min from LA, or at least less than an hour in traffic. Century City looks great, too. My international flight is at 1 PM so I'd rather not get stuck in traffic or something trying to get back to the airport.
How much would it cost by taxi to get there?

I'm sorry for all these questions!
Old Jun 9, 2013, 10:24 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to Esri, 2012 Directory of Major Malls, Del Amo Fashion Center is the seventh largest mall in the United States. It is not a high end mall.

Century City is a high end mall.

Since you know which shops you are interested in, why not check the malls' websites and make your decision accordingly.

Taxis are not cheap in Los Angeles. Rates generally start is $2.85, which includes first 1/9th mile and 30 cents for each additional 1/9th mile. There is an additional 30 cents charge for each 37 seconds of waiting and/or traffic delay time. Flat rates between LAX and Century City are about $40-45. Figure on about the same amount for a trip between LAX and Del Amo Fashion Center. Fare estimates are available here, or use Google Maps to estimate the distances and calculate accordingly.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
Taxis are not cheap in Los Angeles. Rates generally start is $2.85, which includes first 1/9th mile and 30 cents for each additional 1/9th mile. There is an additional 30 cents charge for each 37 seconds of waiting and/or traffic delay time. Flat rates between LAX and Century City are about $40-45. Figure on about the same amount for a trip between LAX and Del Amo Fashion Center. Fare estimates are available here, or use Google Maps to estimate the distances and calculate accordingly.
That's why I asked about the rental car... if you can rent one, it be the best way. Taxis are just terrible for price and hit-or-miss on vehicle/driver condition.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Not massive, but close to the airport are the Plaza El Segundo and Manhattan Village. Both offer a reasonable amount of shopping very near to LAX and can be had via public transportation.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA, USAir, UA
Let me offer you an out-of-the-box suggestion...

This *only* works if you can rent a car.

Consider taking a trip up Highway 1 up to Camarillo Premium Outlets. Which seems to cover most of the shops you are interested in.

Yes, it's a longer trip than you planned (about an hour & a half)....but a beautiful trip up the coast for most of the way. There are a number of hotels in the area.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by laniartesia
Thanks for your quick response!
I am leaning against Culver City because I've been reading that there were shootings in the mall. Granted, it was a couple of years ago but could it have changed that much?
Actually, the Culver City mall has undergone a huge transformation the past few years. Started with a renovation in 2009 adding large stores like Target and Best Buy and adding new stores/restaurants since. The name also changed from Fox Hills Mall to Westfield Culver City. It was safe enough before, but even more crowded/more security/safer now. I shop or eat there with my 3 year old frequently. I was there last night at 8:00 pm. It is fine.

I also work around the corner and many vendors/consultants stay at the Four Points and I think that is also plenty safe for your stay. I have had my family members stay there for the same reason you mention - 1/2 the rate compared to the hotels here in Santa Monica and only a 10 minute drive from my house.

As others have said Century City would be the best bet for higher end shopping.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help everyone!
After reading over all of the messages, I think for now I am going to plan on staying near the Westfield in Culver City for the Target nearby (I miss Target when I'm overseas, unfortunately).
Thanks again for all your suggestions!
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Good choice with Four Points Culver City.

I live near Westfield Culver City Mall and I go to that Target all the time. The food court inside the mall is also very good. The area is very safe and you should have no problem with personal security. There is a bus depot in the parking lot of the mall which will give you easy access to Downtown Culver City if you want more dining options.

Map: http://www.culvercity.org/Government...ystem_Map.ashx

Four Points also has a shuttle to take you back to the airport.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:16 am

OK, lets see if 9 years later someone still reads this.

But I have a 5 hour stop at LAX coming up. Would it be possible to get to Westfield Culver City and back ? Solo female traveller? Worth it?
Its on a Sunday if that helps btw around noon and 5 pm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.