Corpse found in L.A. hotel's water tank

Old Feb 21, 13, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat

CNN: Corpse found in L.A. hotel's water tank

Wow - my regards to the family of the young woman they found. I guess I would not naturally think of a corpse causing a foul taste in the water coming fromt the tap.

I hope the police figure out what happened and, if it was foul play, find those responsible for her death.

Tourists staying at a Los Angeles hotel bathed, brushed teeth and drank water from a tank in which a young woman's body was likely decomposing for more than two weeks, police said.

Elisa Lam's corpse was found in the Cecil Hotel's rooftop water tank by a maintenance worker who was trying to figure out why the water pressure was low Tuesday.

Lam's parents reported her missing in early February. The last sighting of her was in the hotel on January 31, Los Angeles Police said.
The Cecil Hotel
Old Feb 22, 13, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
I doubt the Cecil Hotel would be on anyone here's itinerary.

Some rather disturbing video on youtube (which I won't link to), no violence but clearly a troubled woman .
Old Feb 22, 13, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
.....welcome to the hotel California......
Old Feb 23, 13, 10:26 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
TIME Magazine - The Cecil Hotel: What a Dead Body in a Water Tank Does for Your Yelp Reviews

Excerpt
But the suspicious death of the 21-year-old is only the latest in a series of unfortunate incidents that have taken place at the Cecil, which dates back to the 1920s and is located near the city’s seedy Skid Row. “There were murders there in the 20s and 30s,” Chris Nichols, associate editor of Los Angeles Magazine, told South California Public Radio. In 1962, a 27-year-old woman jumped out of a window, killing herself and the pedestrian she landed on. In 1964, Goldie Olsen — a former telephone operator known as the pigeon lady of Pershing Square — was found strangled to death in her room, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Two infamous serial killers, Richard Ramirez, the “Night Stalker,” and Austrian journalist Jack Unterweger, are believed to have stayed at the Cecil during the 1980s. Ramirez was a regular who reportedly checked in for 14 days, paying $14 a night. He was later found guilty of 13 murders and is currently on death row in California. Unterweger, who had been convicted of murder in 1974 in Austria but released in the 1990s, was later charged with killing 11 prostitutes while on parole, including three found strangled “with their bras” during his stay in Los Angeles. He was convicted of nine of the murders in 1994 and hung himself in his cell the following day.
Old Feb 23, 13, 10:47 pm

Programs: Airplanes!
Originally Posted by Wally Bird View Post
I doubt the Cecil Hotel would be on anyone here's itinerary.

Some rather disturbing video on youtube (which I won't link to), no violence but clearly a troubled woman .
I made the mistake of watching the youtube video from a different forum. It was super creepy! I had to look at cartoons afterwards to get my mind off of it!

I hope investigators will be able to get to the bottom of this case quickly, for the sake of the family.
Old Feb 27, 13, 11:17 am

Sad to say the least,but not sure if she was staying there (bad idea) since that area is not safe at all,especially for someone out of town.

Hope they find the person(s) that did this.
Old Feb 28, 13, 10:01 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
Sad News, RIP

May you rest in peace.
Old Mar 3, 13, 1:29 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
According to interviews a lot of foreign tourists end up staying there because of package deals. I think Miss Lam just picked the hotel because of its location, and it is a good location to be in the center of public transit and the neighborhood has gotten a lot better over the past 10 years, although nowhere near where I would want to stay at night. For someone on that budget, the youth hostel (AYH approved) thing would have worked better. Sure you share the room with strangers but there are more of them there, and the security is a lot better.