Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

NOTES:

"Published" Minimum Connect Time (MCT) international to domestic at LAX is 2 hours. Numerous LAX regulars advise that 3 hours is much safer. Wait times for incoming immigration and customs services are very inconsistent. While the vast majority of international flights arrive at the newly remodeled Tom Bradley Terminal, some airlines use older customs facilities in Terminal 2 or 6. View recent postings in this thread for more information.

T4 to T5 tunnel is now open. It is possible now to connect from T4 to T5, T6, T7 and T8 without exiting security.
In T-4, the access to the tunnel is from Gate 44 (the bus transfer gate). Take the escalator down to Gate 44, then turn left and take the escalator down towards baggage claim. At the bottom of the escalator make a U turn to the right and enter through the double doors. Please consult the terminals maps for the location of the tunnel in terminals 5 and 6.

An elevated airside connecter walkway between T4 and TBIT is under construction. This is expected to be completed in 2016. More here: TERMINAL 4 CONNECTOR - LAWA PDF

The prior thread on this topic, 2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread, contains relevant information, however, to keep it from getting too long, 2014 and 2015 updates are below.

2015 INFO

Los Angeles International Airport website

PDF Map of LAX airport and vicinity parking and cell phone lot

Airline Location Map

Links to individual terminals maps

Only terminals 4 through 8 are connected airside (through tunnels between terminals 4, 5 and 6, and above ground hallways between terminals 6, 7 and 8). There are occasional airside shuttles elsewhere, but are subject to change (e.g. AA to American eagle, afternoon AA to TBIT Qantas). Airport policy allows you to gain admission airside to a terminal you are not departing from with an ID and a same day boarding pass, but anecdotal reports indicate that sometimes this is not honored by security personnel.

Tom Bradley International Terminal serves most, but not all, foreign airlines.

In most instances, international arrivals require processing USDHS-CBP (immigration, recovering baggage and processing customs); if you are going on in your travels, there is a baggage recheck counter as you exit customs. This can be fairly rapid if you have Global Entry or are arriving at a slack period, but it can take 60-90 minutes if you are arriving during a busy arrivals period.

After clearing customs and immigration, you must exit to landside and proceed to your next terminal. You may take the free shuttle busses, which only proceed anti / counter clockwise direction (In Order: 1-2-3-TBIT-4-5-6-7-8), or you can walk. At ground level you will be sheltered by the overhead departures-serving roadway, but be exposed to vehicle fumes and cigarette smoke; on the departures level, you will be exposed to the weather. It should take no more than 5 minutes to walk from one adjacent terminal to another, but it can take significantly longer to walk from distant terminals - as long as 15 - 20 minutes.

Last updated 29 Aug 2015 by TWA884
Print Wikipost

2013 Consolidated LAX Connecting / Connection / Connections thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:17 am

How Much Minimum Time for Int. to Dom. Connection at LAX?

The plan is to fly with BA from LHR to LAX the to LAS by AA.... timings would see us getting to LAX around 12:55 and leave for LAS at 15:10. That's 2 hours and 15 mins... is that enough?

If it's on one ticket (booked either through AA or BA), will we have to collect luggage and check it in again?

We'll be flying on First, if that makes any difference?

The main reason we don't want to take a direct non-stop flight from LHR to LAS is that the BA flight we want arrives at 19:10 and we want to get to LAS earlier, hence the connection.

Any help would be appriciated
Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Using search (search for titles only, results for threads, keywords {"lax"} or {connecting}) surfaces this thread with relevant information (where your query has been merged). In particular, I recommend reading the wikipost at the head of each page rendering as well as the first post.

In light of those, 2:15 may well not be enough.

Originally Posted by Moomin126
The plan is to fly with BA from LHR to LAX the to LAS by AA.... timings would see us getting to LAX around 12:55 and leave for LAS at 15:10. That's 2 hours and 15 mins... is that enough?

If it's on one ticket (booked either through AA or BA), will we have to collect luggage and check it in again?

The main reason we don't want to take a direct non-stop flight from LHR to LAS is that the BA flight we want arrives at 19:10 and we want to get to LAS earlier, hence the connection.

Old Apr 13, 2013, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
Using search (search for titles only, results for threads, keywords {"lax"} or {connecting}) surfaces this thread with relevant information (where your query has been merged). In particular, I recommend reading the wikipost at the head of each page rendering as well as the first post.

In light of those, 2:15 may well not be enough.
Thank you JDiver - missed this thread I will take a read and use search too!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: AS,BA,HA,UA
Delta Connection?

I'm looking at arriving LAX 18:09 from SAN on DL operated by Skywest, connecting to DL 637 to HND departing 19:35. Will this be in the same terminal? I'll have 1 checked bag which I'm assuming they're responsible for transferring.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA & DL Gold
Yep, same terminal and your bags will be taken care of for you. Plenty of time. Your inbound could take a 1hr delay and you'd still make it
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:25 pm

Programs: AS,BA,HA,UA
Thumbs up Thanks for the reply.

Sounds good!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by debracey
Yep, same terminal and your bags will be taken care of for you. Plenty of time. Your inbound could take a 1hr delay and you'd still make it
Are you sure? Isn't Delta Connection by SkyWest in the remote terminal a bus ride away?

That time of day will be very unlikely to have delays, especially weatherwise. Little need to worry.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.

You have to collect luggage to clear customs at LAX regardless, then drop off before leaving restricted area. If you miss the 15:10 there should be two more flights later in the day. Unless it's Friday or Sunday, there should be seats to accommodate you. The next flight should get you there at 18:45, but without customs you'll still be well ahead.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 8:58 pm

Hmm - I was under the impression that Skywest just pulled up to a gate at T5, but the forums seem to suggest that they sometimes use T8. Doesn't really matter, even if you had to go over to T8, it's only about 5 minutes to walk there (faster than the shuttle).

If you walk it you go outside security, so you'll have to reclear at T6/T7/T8 (they're connected). But that shouldn't be too bad that late in the day.

Supposedly there is a tunnel from T5 to T6, but I have never used it. In any event, it's not clearly marked
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No worries - just be sure to bank sufficient time to make the formalities. We can hope this will improve as time goes on, but... for now, it's a bit worrying. LAX, JFK, ORD and of course MIA could be impacted significantly, DFW an example of less impacted merely because of the numbers of arriving international passengers.

Thank you JDiver - missed this thread I will take a read and use search too!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by debracey
Supposedly there is a tunnel from T5 to T6, but I have never used it. In any event, it's not clearly marked
There is absolutely a tunnel between T5 and T6, I have used it many many times, and it is reasonably marked. One thing to note though when you're used T6-T8, is that the T5/T6 tunnel is in the middle of the terminal, right next to the SkyClub and McDonalds for T5, and in the middle near shops for Terminal 6 (look for the escalator going down).
Hmm - I was under the impression that Skywest just pulled up to a gate at T5, but the forums seem to suggest that they sometimes use T8. Doesn't really matter, even if you had to go over to T8, it's only about 5 minutes to walk there (faster than the shuttle).
Traditionally they always used a gate, but after AS moved into T6, I'm guessing they don't always have enough gates, and sometimes have to use a different location.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:37 pm

?: transfer domestic (WN) to international (UA) at LAX

Wed May 15

SJC - LAX - WN
LAX - LHR - UA dep 5:45 PM
LHR - BER - LH

!. Can bags be checked all the way through to Berlin?

2. How much time does the traveler need at LAX to make the transfer? (Which SJC LAX flight to book?) Changing terminals? Again through security?

Sylvia, asking for a friend - the international portion is an award ticket with two other companions ...
Old Apr 18, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by SylviaCaras
Wed May 15

SJC - LAX - WN
LAX - LHR - UA dep 5:45 PM
LHR - BER - LH

!. Can bags be checked all the way through to Berlin?

2. How much time does the traveler need at LAX to make the transfer? (Which SJC LAX flight to book?) Changing terminals? Again through security?

Sylvia, asking for a friend - the international portion is an award ticket with two other companions ...
No, Southwest does not interline with anyone but UA will through check LAX-LHR-BER.

Allow at least 3 hours for the connection.

Yes, different terminals so re-clear security.

Why not take UA SJC-LAX?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:10 pm

Wally Bird: Why not take UA SJC-LAX?

Indeed! And thanks for the logistical info.

I think she will look into SJC LAX on UA. The tickets are awards, gifted ... The SJC LAX part wasn't considered when they were arranged. I think she will now look into costs of changes, availability ...

Sylvia
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:59 pm

Southwest is the killer on this one, since they won't interline anything. If you check bags you will need the 3 hrs as Wally Bird suggested. If you don't check any bags (on either end), then you need about 90 minutes to be safe.

The walk from T1 (Southwest) to T6/T7/T8 (connected, United) is about 10 minutes via East way, but I wouldn't call it pleasant... I'd also consider it unsafe after dark -- you walk right beside parking garages and the walkway is not well lit (although others will disagree.) There is a shuttle bus, but it can be slow because it stops at every terminal. In any case, you *will* have to reclear security.

If you absolutely cannot fly UA into LAX, I'd suggest:

1. See if US Air can get you to LAX. You'll have to walk from T1-->T7, but at least US Air will interline your checked bag (if applicable).
2. If that doesn't work, go for a Delta flight into LAX (or Alaska), at least their terminals are on the same side of the airport as UA and you can just walk along the departure level sidewalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.