Anyone feel the earthquakes?

Old Sep 7, 2012, 1:52 pm
sk3
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

I live in West Hollywood - and I most definitely did.

The one on September 3 around 3:30am was loud and shook hard and for those couple of seconds I was as scared as when the Northridge quake hit. But then it was over.

Last night's quake seemed shorter, but was also a sharp and jolting experience (unlike the ones that feel like rumbling waves).

This L.A. Now article says that the September 3rd quake's epicenter was near Doheny Drive and Wilshire and the September 7th quake's center was near Beverly Drive and Wilshire:

Beverly Hills earthquake hit at intersection of 2 major faults

These are TINY quakes, rated only a minor 3.2 and 3.4, but they were centered closer to me than anything I've experienced since living in the area since the 70's...

Anyone else rattled?

Last edited by sk3; Sep 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm Reason: fixed link
Old Sep 7, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
It woke me up last night (near the Santa Monica airport). Was over by the time I was fully awake -- so was not 100% sure if there had actually been an earthquake or I imagined one? Had to look it up online to confirm. Definitely the most movement I have felt in my house since coming to LA 10 years ago.

My wife slept through it. But then again she slept through a 7.6 quake off the Japan coastline which has us shaking violently for 30 seconds and then another 30 seconds of swaying on the 38th floor of the Tokyo Hilton many years ago. When we have one that wakes her up I will know the big one has arrived.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: United Two Million Miler; United 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
I didn't feel anything, but I don't get out of bed for anything less than a 5.0.

One file cabinet drawer popped open at my office in Beverly Hills.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've had a number of 4 ish quakes in Yorba Linda in the last month. 4 doesn't sound like much, but when you are almost on top of it, it's a pretty good shaking.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 4:05 pm
sk3
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
...but when you are almost on top of it, it's a pretty good shaking.
Exactly! Their epicenters were less than a mile from me - that's what was novel and had me spooked.

- I just fixed the link in my post above to the LA Now article (it had been linked to the most current post, not to the referenced story) - but it's interesting to see the new articles posted (at least it's interesting to me )

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.