Reload this Page >

2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 - "Consolidated Questions About Connecting at LAX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:18 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TWA884
The shuttles pick up only on the lower level (please refer to the map that I posted earlier in this thread).
When this thread was split off from Consolidated "Connecting between terminals, tunnels, etc. at LAX" [merged threads], the moderator left out the LAX Ground Transportation Waiting Areas map that I posted.

Here it is:

Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by meballard
Umm... There are two levels that carry vehicles traffic at LAX, the upper level (2nd level of LAX where the check-in areas are), and the lower level (1st level where baggage claim is).
I guess that depends on how you define "street" level.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
To be fair, when on the elevated walk/roadway at departures level it 'feels' like "street level" while the ground level arrivals road gives the impression of an airy basement.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by meballard
Umm... There are two levels that carry vehicles traffic at LAX, the upper level (2nd level of LAX where the check-in areas are), and the lower level (1st level where baggage claim is). Shuttles generally pick-up on the lower level, and drop off on the upper level.
Thanks.. I stand corrected.. So shuttles don't pick up on the upper level?

I've been through LAX probably 7 different trips, should know this, but memory does not serve me correct..
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Not generally, and I believe official LAX policy doesn't allow it. Upper level is for departures, where shuttles drop people off. Even if they would pick you up, there aren't designated spots for shuttles on the upper level, so you wouldn't know where to wait.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 12:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I guess that depends on how you define "street" level.
Personally I would consider them both "street" levels, considering that both levels are streets that carry vehicle traffic.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
There is always an exception to the rule.

The employees parking lots shuttles drop off and pick up on the upper roadway.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
According to this page there is a secure connection between LAX terminal 4 and the international terminal. It says "A secure connection is now available between the Tom Bradley and Terminals 3 & 4 at each side of it."

So my question is whether this is still true, and how does one find the connection? I don't see anything on any of the airport maps. I assume by "secure" they mean "airside". I'm arriving at T4 on AA and I would like to get over to TBIT without going through security again.

Thanks for any tips you might have in advance....
Old Jan 17, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The tunnels are there but closed for the public. This happened after 9/11.

With the development of "Bradley West", elevated airside walkways are planned to be available for T3/TBIT/T4.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by RevJim
According to this page there is a secure connection between LAX terminal 4 and the international terminal. It says "A secure connection is now available between the Tom Bradley and Terminals 3 & 4 at each side of it."
That webpage is flat out wrong. There has never been a secure physical connection between TBIT and either T3 or T4. A secure connection between TBIT and T4 is planned as a part of the current TBIT expansion project.

Every half hour between 4:00 pm and midnight, Qantas runs a shuttle from T4 to TBIT; it is available only to Qantas passengers.

Originally Posted by serfty
The tunnels are there but closed for the public. This happened after 9/11.
The presently closed tunnels connect only the terminals on the south side of the airport, i.e., T4, T5, T6 and T7.

There are no tunnels, opened or closed, connecting the terminals on the north side of the airport (T1 - T3) or TBIT with any of the terminals on the south or north side of the airport.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:49 am

Can anyone tell me if terminals 5-8 are connected airside?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
Can anyone tell me if terminals 5-8 are connected airside?
Yes.

T5-T6 connected by tunnel.

T6-7-8 are connected above ground.

Here is a video of some dofus kid running in the T5-T6 tunnel

http://youtu.be/3wOgojG2t9Q

This website is a few years old but the info is accurate: http://www.flyingcritic.com/travel/2...l-between.html

T4-T5 is also connected by tunnel but AA closed it last time they remodeled the terminal and it has not reopened.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:20 pm

Minimum connection query for LAX

Hi

I am flying to LAX airport on 7 April, arriving into terminal 2 on an Air NZ flight. My flight arrives at 2.45pm and I am wanting to book onward flights to Colombia on Continental.

The Continental flights departs at 4.54 pm and leaves from terminal 6. Is this just too short a time to clear customs, collect baggage and re-check in?

Unfortunately, I cannot check in my bags the whole way. Being Easter and an afternoon flight, will this mean more chance of delays at the airport?

Cheers
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:29 pm

I too would like to know something about LAX connection times. Is 55 minutes really viable to connect to a flight to Honolulu?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:14 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Tizette, welcome to FlyerTalk. Can you give some more info as to the airline and flight you're arriving in LAX on and the airline you'll be connecting to Hawaii on?

For you and Carolina01, I'll move this to the Travel->Los Angeles forum where LAX operations/connections are regularly discussed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.