Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

Is LAX becoming a black hole?

Is LAX becoming a black hole?

Old Sep 29, 2011, 2:15 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Looks pretty nice actually..
I didn't know that AA modernized their terminal..
And once the airside connector is built, AA's terminal will blend into the new TBIT where AA will have use of four gates.

TBIT T4 Connector

Last edited by ByrdluvsAWACO; Sep 29, 2011 at 2:29 am
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
And once the airside connector is built, AA's terminal will blend into the new TBIT where AA will have use of four gates.

TBIT T4 Connector
Certainly seems like an exciting development that's convenient..
Old Oct 2, 2011, 4:07 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Sunday, October 2, 2011, Los Angeles Times Travel section cover story:
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Interesting. On the first page, they say Julio Ortiz is an AA employee, but that he mans the kiosks in T5. Hmm...
Old Oct 2, 2011, 9:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
61 million passengers and 1700 flights per day.. who would have imagined?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Interesting. On the first page, they say Julio Ortiz is an AA employee, but that he mans the kiosks in T5. Hmm...
LOL. Articles like these are bound to get something wrong.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
LOL. Articles like these are bound to get something wrong.
Or it could be a hint of AA's plans to buy out DL.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Or that A380 arrives with 800 passengers

I think QF or SQ would be quite surprised to find an extra 350 or so people hiding in luggage hold of their A380.

Otherwise, the article makes good observations. Especially about surly Shuttle C drivers and the unpleasant connection experience.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 5:12 am

Or it could be a hint of AA's plans to buy out DL.
LOL! I would love to see AA take control of the T5 terminal.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bzcat
Or that A380 arrives with 800 passengers

I think QF or SQ would be quite surprised to find an extra 350 or so people hiding in luggage hold of their A380.

Otherwise, the article makes good observations. Especially about surly Shuttle C drivers and the unpleasant connection experience.
Or a double decker plane with no cargo hold..

What will they think of next?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bzcat
No arguments from me about the airport being 80s vintage or the horrible connection experience when changing airlines, but as an origin/destination airport it does pretty well.

My flight last night touched down at 8:55, parked at the gate at 9:00, I walked to the parking shuttle pickup, rode shuttle to get my car, drove 15 miles home, and walked in my door at 9:40. At how many other major airports could I have done that?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by musing
No arguments from me about the airport being 80s vintage or the horrible connection experience when changing airlines, but as an origin/destination airport it does pretty well.

My flight last night touched down at 8:55, parked at the gate at 9:00, I walked to the parking shuttle pickup, rode shuttle to get my car, drove 15 miles home, and walked in my door at 9:40. At how many other major airports could I have done that?
Maybe its great in this respect..

But my experience was on the other side of the spectrum going through customs..

Taxied in decent hour at 8:30 pm.. Arrived at customs via bus connection 9:00 pm.. Did not get out of the airport customs and immigration until 12:00 midnite.. Did not get out of the rental company parking lot until 1:15 am.. and ariive at the hotel at 2:15 am..

brutal..!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Maybe its great in this respect..

But my experience was on the other side of the spectrum going through customs..

Taxied in decent hour at 8:30 pm.. Arrived at customs via bus connection 9:00 pm.. Did not get out of the airport customs and immigration until 12:00 midnite.. Did not get out of the rental company parking lot until 1:15 am.. and ariive at the hotel at 2:15 am..

brutal..!
musing must be talking about a domestic trip, or is a US citizen. I have Global Entry so my international and domestic times to getting out of the airport are similar. I can usually be home 40 to 50 minutes from touch down.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
musing must be talking about a domestic trip, or is a US citizen. I have Global Entry so my international and domestic times to getting out of the airport are similar. I can usually be home 40 to 50 minutes from touch down.
This was domestic, however for international on American and United where you can avoid TBIT, I've never had more than about 30 min through customs and the lines for non-US citizens seemed to be taking about the same, although this is definitely a case of YMMV asI seldom fly international.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
No doubt LAX is great O&D airport for domestic travel. I fully agree with this point. The small terminal layout that dumps you directly at the curb is great if you are leaving the airport anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.