Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from LAX to Santa Monica [consolidated thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2005, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
LAX-Santa Monica Big Blue (Express) Bus w/ Luggage Racks - $1 [updated].

http://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-...avel-headlines

Los Angeles Times
TRAVEL LOG
May 15, 2005

New express bus to LAX

Santa Monica's Big Blue Bus system plans to begin an express bus, with luggage racks, that will run to LAX from Wilshire Boulevard and 4th Street in downtown Santa Monica.

Closely matching a section of the No. 3 local route, the new one, starting June 27, will serve Santa Monica, Venice, Marina del Rey and Westchester. It will also serve the Aviation Station of the MTA's Green Line near the airport.

The fare will be 75 cents, the same as on the No. 3, but the new bus will be limited to 13 stops and get priority at stoplights, shaving 12 to 15 minutes off the total trip, said Dan Dawson, customer relations manager for the Big Blue Bus. Painted dark metallic blue, with the word "Rapid" in gold, the new bus will leave every 15 minutes, from 6 to 10 a.m. and 2 to 7 p.m. Information: (310) 451-5444, http://www.bigbluebus.com
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:10 pm

Getting from LAX to Santa Monica [consolidated thread]

We will be visiting the LA area this weekend and need some help. No, we can't cancel/alter the plans...everything is prepaid unfortunately. I feel sure others are in the same boat as us so maybe your replies will help others searching for the best way to avoid this mess. I have read all the FAQ's out there (marginally helpful) and surfed blogs with the available time I have. We get to LAX on the morning of 7/16 and need to get to the beach in Santa Monica. Once we get there we will stay put but I'm really dreading getting stuck in traffic. I don't want our summer vacation to be remembered as "the year we got stuck in traffic". :-)

I don't know how we missed this...unless the city of LA didn't advertise it until it was too late for us. Anyway, thanks for any advice you can provide.

PS. How long would it take to walk from the airport to SM?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
It's 8 miles from LAX to Santa Monica. There may be bus service, also can take a cab. I always take 405, and the traffic is always backed up. 405 is closing this weekend so I would not want to tbe anywhere near LA this weekend.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Very simple by bus unless you have a ton of baggage. I 'think' (verify this) it is the letter C(?) shuttle bus to the transit center and then their is a direct "Big Blue" city bus to "Santa Monica" like every half hour for next to nothing cost wise. Normally I would not consider that but for 405 Carmageddon 2011 I would give it serious thought.

I recon a taxi might be $30-$40 on surface streets as well.

Try http://www.bigbluebus.com for the city bus option.
http://www.bigbluebus.com/busroutes/....asp?routeid=3
Old Jul 13, 2011, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by wrldseries
We will be visiting the LA area this weekend and need some help. No, we can't cancel/alter the plans...everything is prepaid unfortunately. I feel sure others are in the same boat as us so maybe your replies will help others searching for the best way to avoid this mess. I have read all the FAQ's out there (marginally helpful) and surfed blogs with the available time I have. We get to LAX on the morning of 7/16 and need to get to the beach in Santa Monica. Once we get there we will stay put but I'm really dreading getting stuck in traffic. I don't want our summer vacation to be remembered as "the year we got stuck in traffic". :-)

I don't know how we missed this...unless the city of LA didn't advertise it until it was too late for us. Anyway, thanks for any advice you can provide.

PS. How long would it take to walk from the airport to SM?
Welcome to Flyertalk, wrldseries
LAX, this weekend will be a mess;pure and simple. Are you staying in a hotel in Santa Monica? If so, perhaps the hotel may offer some options. I know that a friend tried to book a taxi for this weekend and they were not taking reservations. Fortunately, LAX is close to Lincoln Blvd which goes to Santa Monica. Lincoln will likely be horribly congested. Suggest some type of public transport. I think the Santa Monica Bus #14 runs from LAX to Santa Monica. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Bring along some bottled water and perhaps some protein bars.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila
Very simple by bus unless you have a ton of baggage. I 'think' (verify this) it is the letter C(?) shuttle bus to the transit center and then their is a direct "Big Blue" city bus to "Santa Monica" like every half hour for next to nothing cost wise.
Yep, it's the Parking Lot C bus that you're looking for which can be found at the outer curb under the blue sign in the arrivals level.

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I think the Santa Monica Bus #14 runs from LAX to Santa Monica.
I believe you're looking for Route 3. ^ You can take that from the LAX Transit Center. Unfortunately, though, the 3 goes through Lincoln which indeed might not be at it's finest this weekend.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Traffic will be a mess regardless so don't take a cab (which will probably be stuck in traffic and rack up a big charge) or drive (why subject yourself to torture?). Take the #3 bus. It's easy and cheap and you can sit back and relax on the ride to Santa Monica.

Take LAX Shuttle C to the parking center and walk over to the bus station. Wait for the blue bus to show up (I think it is bus bay 12). The head sign for the bus should say "3 Lincoln Blvd / Santa Monica" (the other direction is "3 LAX/ Green Line Station Aviation" and you don't want to get on that one).

The fare is $1 per person. There is a luggage storage space in the front of the bus on top of the wheel housing next to the handicap seats. Tell the driver you are getting off in Downtown Santa Monica... most drivers will be more than happy to remind you if you are nice to them (most #3 bus also has recorded stop announcements to tell you exactly where you are).

Most likely, you will be getting off at 4th/Broadway or 4th/Santa Monica if you are staying on Ocean Ave hotels. If you are staying at Sheraton Delfina or Casa Del Mar, you want to get off at 4th/Pico.

Last edited by bzcat; Aug 19, 2016 at 2:03 pm
Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:16 pm

I agree with most posters here: #3 is the way to go. bzcat did a very good job of giving detailed instructions, so I can't really add much more.

Carmageddon is coming!!!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:28 pm

Maybe a shuttle?

I also saw on the news that the airport shuttle companies are offering discounts for Carmageddon weekend. The advantage I see to that is that the bus is limited to a set route (Lincoln Blvd) where as an airport shuttle can take any route and turn off when the going gets tough.

The same would be true with a taxi, but more expensive.

You could try Prime Time Shuttle or Shuttle2LAX.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 6:41 am

If you're going directly from the terminal, go to the section for shuttle busses nd get the one for the consolidated LAX transit center (ask if in doubt). The "center" is essentially a large, multi-bay bus stop used by the L.A.,Santa Monica and Culver City bus companies. The shuttle goes there. You don't have to walk, though it sounds like walking from a parking lot is another option. Just ask there or look at the posts by the Santa Monica busses and you'll find one that goes to Santa Monica, dropping you off within walking distance of the Santa Monica Pier. Bus route avoids the 405, but traffic will be heavy. Just be prepared for a long, slow ride. We used this bus when we stayed at the Radisson Hotel near LAX, and walked to the bus center. It's about a block in back of the Sheraton on Century Blvd.

If you have much luggage, then Super Shuttle or Prime Time Shuttle. Again, they won't avoid the traffic but at least you won't have to drive in it.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 7:40 am

Google Maps says 9 miles, and estimates 2 hrs. 57 mins. to walk it (with luggage it might take longer). Who knows, this weekend maybe you'd be passing cars on Lincoln Boulevard!

You don't say why Santa Monica, but unless your hotel is in SM, you might consider going to another beach. Manhattan Beach is closer to LAX. I think there is a shuttle there, but if not, I think a regular bus should get you there. On a normal day perhaps no quicker than to SM, but this weekend, maybe better. Check www.metro.net or the public transportation option on Google Maps. Even heading south to someplace like Huntington Beach might be easier, in terms of traffic, since you'd be headed away from the direciton of the 405 closure. Not sure about busses.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think you'll have a problem getting to santa monica. There are plenty of surface streets (i would probably stay away from 405/10 route but check live traffic when you get here) and the main congestion will likely be closer to PCH and 10-feeding streets. I wouldn't worry. Where exactly in Santa Monica do you need to be?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by SoCal
Google Maps says 9 miles, and estimates 2 hrs. 57 mins. to walk it (with luggage it might take longer). Who knows, this weekend maybe you'd be passing cars on Lincoln Boulevard!

You don't say why Santa Monica, but unless your hotel is in SM, you might consider going to another beach. Manhattan Beach is closer to LAX. I think there is a shuttle there, but if not, I think a regular bus should get you there. On a normal day perhaps no quicker than to SM, but this weekend, maybe better. Check www.metro.net or the public transportation option on Google Maps. Even heading south to someplace like Huntington Beach might be easier, in terms of traffic, since you'd be headed away from the direciton of the 405 closure. Not sure about busses.
Can report that Lincoln seems no worse than normal, maybe even a tad lighter so far. All of the hype seems to have scared everyone off the streets.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

A friend flew into LAX last night at 10:00 PM. He picked up his car and said he made it home in record time via Lincoln to San Vicente to Brentwood.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 7:20 pm

Yes. It seems like Carmageddon was a dud. The good thing is, people actually listened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.