Flight Paths Over Downtown LA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Paths Over Downtown LA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by N751PR
This totally just had me dig through YouTube to find that one video on the SADDE6 arrival posted a few months ago.
Yeah. That's a nice video.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I was driving down the 110 South today after the Dodger Stadium turn and saw an A380 high over DTLA coming from the west. Because I'm an #AvGeek (and because I'm looking to book the flight soon), I knew it was the China Southern A380 from CAN, since the times match up.

Fast forward to when I'm at the 8th street off-ramp ... I see the same CZ A380 heading west make a sharp right bank ... for a split second it's flying at a low altitude facing directly me, until it continues it's right bank and gains some altitude. From my perspective, it looks to clear the JW Marriott next to Staples by just a few hundred feet. I could clearly see the tail logo and could make out where the reg was (although I couldn't read it clearly).

Any way to figure out exactly what its altitude was? It was quite a sight -- http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...330Z/ZGGG/KLAX
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by amolkold
I was driving down the 110 South today after the Dodger Stadium turn and saw an A380 high over DTLA coming from the west. Because I'm an #AvGeek (and because I'm looking to book the flight soon), I knew it was the China Southern A380 from CAN, since the times match up.

Fast forward to when I'm at the 8th street off-ramp ... I see the same CZ A380 heading west make a sharp right bank ... for a split second it's flying at a low altitude facing directly me, until it continues it's right bank and gains some altitude. From my perspective, it looks to clear the JW Marriott next to Staples by just a few hundred feet. I could clearly see the tail logo and could make out where the reg was (although I couldn't read it clearly).

Any way to figure out exactly what its altitude was? It was quite a sight -- http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C...330Z/ZGGG/KLAX
Just click on "track log and graph": http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C.../KLAX/tracklog

Looks like it did a loop and went down to 2,100 feet during the loop then recovered to 2,500 feet.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Just click on "track log and graph": http://flightaware.com/live/flight/C.../KLAX/tracklog

Looks like it did a loop and went down to 2,100 feet during the loop then recovered to 2,500 feet.
Hmm, I guess my perspective was off (or maybe the A380 really is that big). Seemed like it was about the height of the library tower.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: FT Member # 642
I live 2 blocks from JW Marriott and my loft looks directly at it. I missed that! It is strange how some flights seem to randomly come over here. To bad you couldn't get a photo.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by wingless
I live 2 blocks from JW Marriott and my loft looks directly at it. I missed that! It is strange how some flights seem to randomly come over here. To bad you couldn't get a photo.
I was still doing about 15-20mph and so I didn't want to grab my phone to take a photo. Now had it been standstill traffic ...
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA (preferred), UA, DL
Some earlier posters have said these, but I've added a few reference points.

As far as I'm aware, all eastern flights come straight in over the 60/105 freeways. I was on AA metal IAD-LAX last week as it followed the 60 in then adjusted southwest a tad (over Montebello/Commerce) to line up with runway 25. On HA metal last May (HNL-LAX), the plane came over Catalina, looped around Anaheim (it was awesome to see Disneyland from that high up) then joined the main landing route.

On a somewhat related note, I have yet to see a flight takeoff or land at BUR without using the Palmdale/Santa Clarita corridor.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
See the ATC approach plate

"When visual approaches to Runways 25L/R are in progress..."

And there's a similar run for the north runways (24L/R).
Old Jan 25, 2013, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by amolkold
I was still doing about 15-20mph and so I didn't want to grab my phone to take a photo. Now had it been standstill traffic ...
Is it one of those days when you wish there was traffic at that moment?
Old May 10, 2016, 12:36 am

Glad to see similar...driving to dodger stadium,,slow traffic 6pm. Big plane seems to circle DTLA very low , and seems slow. Used to see the normal LAX air traffic one by one In an orderly line...this one through me for a loop and had to google search...guess the thread here tells it all...wish I had my flight aware app ready to use ...thank you all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.