Reload this Page >

Best Xiao Long Bao (Chinese Soup Dumplings) in LA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Xiao Long Bao (Chinese Soup Dumplings) in LA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 6:17 pm

Again we have not been able to trek down to southern CA for XLB. Good to have additional suggestions!-- next I'll need to get a map.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:19 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
My wife has professed a desire to have XLB. We have had DTF in Taipei, and she loved it. However, we will be going from LAX to Westlake Village. It looks like Arcadia is out of the way. Any places near Westlake Village or LAX or on the way?
Nope, for the real deal you pretty much have to head over to the San Gabrial Valley (east and south of Pasadena).
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:33 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
My wife has professed a desire to have XLB. We have had DTF in Taipei, and she loved it. However, we will be going from LAX to Westlake Village. It looks like Arcadia is out of the way. Any places near Westlake Village or LAX or on the way?

Thanks
FDW
My friends think this is funny so I guess that means that you are out of luck.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks
FDW
It usually takes appr 1 hr to go from Westlake Village to San Gabriel area - we make this trip every couple weeks. If you want XLB or any respectable chinese food (of any variety) you'll do it as well.
The only nearby option is my freezer which I loaded with XLB from Mama Lu yesterday - unfortunately we didn't have a chance to actually eat there but the place looks very promising and much cheaper than DTF and even other places I mentioned earlier.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 12:07 pm

Mama Lu Question--

(mouthwatering...) how do they sell their XLB? bagged in multiples of? a current price? I am thinking about bringing a cooler to transport some home for future yum-yum. We've had travel plans that steered us away from So.Cal, but definitely will need to visit soon.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K
After my dismal San Gabriel XLB experience, I guess this place is on the top of my list for my next trip to Los Angeles.
Don't do it. Stick with Din Tai Fung. It is a bit more expensive, but the quality is assured. I'm not a bit surprised at the recommendation for the two places in San Gabriel; people like it for the price and not necessary for being the "best". I no longer go to the two in SG, only Din Tai Fung.

Ordering Xiao Lung Bao at a dim sum restaurant can only be decent at best.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA (1MM); SPG Plat
I just went to shanghai last week and went to plenty of places which "specialized" in Xiao Lung Bao. I went to a place which ranked as top 5 on Tripadvisor called Jia Jia. The XLB was not tasty at all. I've ordered a regular and a crab one. I did not enjoy any of them. The prices were fantasic though. I went to Nan Xiang Steam Bao at the City God Temple area, and went to the 2nd Floor and ordered a crab roe XLB and a crab roe soup bao. The soup bao is definitely overrated. The crab roe was pretty good; it's a bit pricey.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 5:08 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
sink-- thanks for the advice... I agree that good XLB is $$$ well invested... I would gladly cough up serious cash for a gourmet or high-end XLB if such a place existed... last trip I had to choose more on location due to logistics issues....

Thanks again,
Gaucho100K
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Good news! Just realized that our trip from Westlake to Lake Arrowhead will take us right by DTF!

FDW
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:04 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Good news! Just realized that our trip from Westlake to Lake Arrowhead will take us right by DTF!
Lucky you.... if you have a chance, please post a report !!!! ^
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA1K
any places in the OC? i've been to Shanghai Dumpling up in Millbrae (SFO) and those dumplings are amazing.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:08 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by haddon90
any places in the OC? i've been to Shanghai Dumpling up in Millbrae (SFO) and those dumplings are amazing.
I have only tried Capitol Seafood-and I was not too thrilled(although I love their Arcadia Branch) http://www.yelp.com/biz/capital-seafood-irvine

The Oc has some great Korean/Vietnamese/Japanese places-not so much for Chinese.

Going to try Mama Lu's for the first time(after living in the SGV for 16 years)today!

(9/9)follow up... Very authentic divey place with indifferent service. Food heavily laced with MSG and very oily. Dumplings ok-not great.Best to eat while hot because they are very tough once they cool down. I don't think I will return.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Sep 9, 2011 at 8:16 am
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I have only tried Capitol Seafood-and I was not too thrilled(although I love their Arcadia Branch) http://www.yelp.com/biz/capital-seafood-irvine

The Oc has some great Korean/Vietnamese/Japanese places-not so much for Chinese.

Going to try Mama Lu's for the first time(after living in the SGV for 16 years)today!
I took Mama Lu's stuff home and i have to say that i still like XLB from Meilong Village more. That being said I still plan to stop by and have lunch at mama lu (perhaps even today) as i am sure their kitchen makes it much better.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Zagat's has a listing of LA dumpling places.I am going to try Dumpling 101 today. http://www.zagat.com/buzz/best-dumpl...n=buzz20111005
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:08 pm

I found 101 Noodle Express aren't that good.

Have you tried the new fortune Dumplings in the new AMC plaza off Atlantic? Their tri color dumplings looks nice but taste so so. However I like their xiao long bao, clear chicken broth wins me over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.