Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Terminal 4 getting better food options

LAX Terminal 4 getting better food options

Old May 7, 2011, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by JohnDHackensacker3d
8 oz. burger bar has amazing onion rings, BTW.
But do they have normal-sized burgers, or only oversize half-pounders?
Old May 8, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by Xero
When I'm at an unfamiliar airport, I gravitate towards the chains, the places I know. At least there is a level of consistency. I right away know what I want without having to hope that what I ordered is good.

Having something familiar helps take out one less stress of traveling.
I hear you, and I agree to an extent. However, the current offerings at T4 are really bad (and don't live up to expectations of the name on the front of the front of the outlet).
Old May 8, 2011, 10:10 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by nkedel
But do they have normal-sized burgers, or only oversize half-pounders?
The menu lists both 8 oz and 6 oz burgers. They offer many non burger items as well. The airport location selections may not necessarily be the same, though.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by TWA884
The menu lists both 8 oz and 6 oz burgers. They offer many non burger items as well. The airport location selections may not necessarily be the same, though.
Thanks; good to have options for those of us who are watching what we eat but still sounds very much like sit-down-pace sort of size rather than fast food.

Then again, as you said, the airport selections may be different, and as the old choices were mediocre oversize burgers at a limited-menu Chili's or bad fast food ones at BK, well, it doesn't take much to be an improvement
Old May 8, 2011, 2:23 pm
IJK

Originally Posted by Xero
When I'm at an unfamiliar airport, I gravitate towards the chains, the places I know. At least there is a level of consistency. I right away know what I want without having to hope that what I ordered is good.

Having something familiar helps take out one less stress of traveling.

Yes, fast food is not expected to be great, but we want familiar choices that we have come to call "good", based on what is available under the circumstances, and are the most acceptable choices for our palate and preferences. The fear is that an unfamiliar choice or vendor may be even worse, and of disappointingly bad quality and/or value.

We are familiar with the variability in quality and value of the large fast-food chains (at least how we each perceive them), so much so that we gravitate not only to the fast-food chains, but also to particular fast-food chains.

Not only is there a battle between the national fast-food chains (which we can evaluate by familiarity and experience), there are also the smaller, local chains and vendors, which can be a wild card. These are often are quite good - - because they have to be - - in order to squeeze out the established incumbents. But their unfamiliarity and risk factor may result in aversion by hurried travelers.

Having a consistent, though mediocre-at-best, choice has the benefit of an easy, no-brainer decision, but the result is probably that one also won't even think about the 'food' as one chows it down. A mindless activity from start to finish, but accomplishes the task of getting something (that almost qualifies as) sustaining, with a minimum of effort. And a consistent choice has no threat for one becoming upset from unexpectedly bad food. I remember getting disappointingly poor quality crab cakes from a fast-food place in BOS...

It is normally best for fast-food places to not try to be culinary giants and offer exotic food choices that don't satisfy the mainstream gullet or some idea of middle-of-the-road palatability. Great if a marriage of 'really good' and 'fast' happens, but the best food will only be at sit-down places. Some of the best chowder I've had is at such a sit-down place in BOS. Unfortunately, the large sit-down chains also suffer from mediocre food and choices. The local sit-downs can be a better alternative, as can be the local fast-food places. The 'Potbelly' in BWI is an example. They do lots of the little things right, and are a good value.

The poster mentioned being at an "unfamiliar airport", but LAX would not be an unfamiliar airport for one living in LA, or for many people transferring on the West Coast. If one takes a bit of time (once) to figure out the menu at the new place - - how long can that take? - - and order from it, one may have a new favorite. If you live in LA, or transfer in LAX occasionally, you will remember (!) your favorite, or, at the very least, be more familiar with the menu and hit upon a new favorite the second or third time. From then on, the question of a national chain or the local place (at that particular airport) becomes moot. At least for me, the BK at T4 became moot after they put up the new expensive video screen menu (both the screen and the menu were expensive) and did away with the Value Menu.

The old risk/reward question. But when on a MR, and in an unfamiliar airport, the scale tips towards the unfamiliar, in that when on a MR, one does not get to see much outside airport security, and a bit of local flavor is welcome as a bit of an experience - - whether positive, or sometimes not so good.
Old May 8, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
I don't like what we currently have, but I don't like what is planned either.

After the mayhem that will ensue during the construction and swap-over's, we'll be without any place to really sit down for an extended period of time (i.e., no more Chili's) outside the AC and FL. I can picture the new "mini-mall" being no more appealing than that where the aforementioned CPK is in T1 or any of the older food "courts" in DFW.

Reserving judgement; but no optimistic about this.
Old May 18, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlat
More on the new LAX food offerings from the Los Angeles Times:

...Eateries poised to land at LAX
The idea behind the new offerings is to reflect more California cuisine and give the food outlets a "sense of place, officials said.

"We have a cast of new, talented and proven restaurants that will put 'L.A.' back into LAX," Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports, said in a statement.
I believe that the roll of the dice of trying something new is worthwhile when visiting a new city, even if for a brief hour or two. Travel is life -- seize that moment!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:16 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Here's some concept art:

The food truck will be permanently located there, but what it sells won't be. A pre-selected roster of local LA food trucks will share the space and rotate their menus using the truck.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Here's some concept art:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6...f520441970b-pi

The food truck will be permanently located there, but what it sells won't be. A pre-selected roster of local LA food trucks will share the space and rotate their menus using the truck.
Hahaha... good one. That's so typical LA at the moment.

Food trucks are all over Santa Monica on Tuesdays.

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 16, 2011 at 6:55 pm Reason: removed [img] tags from quote post
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Am I the only that's going to miss the brioche doree? I'll admit, I haven't tried homegirl cafe...
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:34 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Thumbs down

Here's some concept art:

That's god aweful!! I hate sitting out in the open with people walking by my food, and having to hear the conversations of the tables next to you. That truck is tacky. Is this what they're going to replace Chilis Too with?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 2:43 am

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Angry

Originally Posted by Moving Chicane
I don't like what we currently have, but I don't like what is planned either.

After the mayhem that will ensue during the construction and swap-over's, we'll be without any place to really sit down for an extended period of time (i.e., no more Chili's) outside the AC and FL.
I agree completely. At Chilis you could at least sit down and eat in a civilised manner while being isolated from the rest of the terminal mayhem. I hate "feeding at the trough" type restaurants. Why don't airports realize that not everyone is looking for a low class burger and fries experience.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:51 am
IJK

Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
At Chilis you could at least sit down and eat in a civilised manner while being isolated from the rest of the terminal mayhem. I hate "feeding at the trough" type restaurants.
Yes, if you were lucky enough to be given a seat in the dining area. Seems to be full to capacity most of the time.

So given the limited space at T4, the only options are the 'trough' places. But these can be better than the sit-down chains. Notice I said "can" be. It would take a good local outfit to rise above the usual level of mediocrity.

Why don't airports realize that not everyone is looking for a low class burger and fries experience.
BK will be gone, correct? No more "low class burger and fries".

Seems like the alternatives will include deli sandwiches and high-class burgers.

LAX has its hands tied at T4. Not very much space for nice sit-down places. The barely-serviceable Chili's is usually full.

Not all airports have the space problem, or think 'burgers and fries'. SEATAC hit a home run with 'Anthony's'.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:59 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
That's god aweful!! I hate sitting out in the open with people walking by my food, and having to hear the conversations of the tables next to you. That truck is tacky. Is this what they're going to replace Chilis Too with?
It's replacing Burger King.
Old Jul 16, 2011, 11:01 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Here's some concept art:
According to the accompanying article, Host International remains the food service provider in T4.
L. A. Times -City Council approves restaurants for LAX (Cole's in Terminal 4, ¡Loteria! Grill in Terminal 5, and more...)
Meanwhile, in Terminal 4, Host International will operate Cole's French Dip, Campanile, 8 Oz. Burger Bar, La Provence Patisserie & Café and L.A. Gourmet Street Truck -- a venue for a rotating roster of food trucks such as Buttermilk, Ahn Joo and Nom Nom. There will be Starbucks locations too.
And from L. A. Weekly:
Yes, the same HMS Host that has been serving crappy food at the airport for 40 years. The same HMS Host that finished last in the contract bidding last year, but managed to restart the process through a Herculean lobbying effort. The HMS Host that should have been booted out of LAX entirely a year ago but has managed to cling to a decent chunk of the business through the sheer power of incumbency.

<snip>

This is the same company, by the way, that loudly proclaimed last year that its that its rival's plans were too fancy and expensive for working-class travelers, and printed up a bunch of T-shirts with the slogan "Real L.A. Food for Real L.A. People."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.