Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Terminal 4 getting better food options

LAX Terminal 4 getting better food options

Old May 6, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
OMG, Campinile, la provance, 8oz burger bar!!!

T4 is turning into SFO int'l terminal where they have some of the City's best food in the airports!!!

totally excited for this!
Old May 6, 2011, 2:33 pm

This sounds interesting. T4 has always been stagnant. Finally something happening over there.

Do the airlines have anything to do with the food choices in the terminal? Is that why DL would even care about opening up the terminal to non-DL pax? Is it because they worked hard for those restaurants and don't want AA pax to reap the benefits? Do they even have better food?
Old May 6, 2011, 2:36 pm

Results of the new master contract

LAWA put the master concessions contract up for bid when it expired with the goal of bringing some local restaurants into the airport. It is producing some results at last. All of the other terminals should see better food options as well.
Old May 6, 2011, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobo411
When I'm in a hurry, I trust Burger King because at least it's a hot meal I can get thrown in a bag and be running to my gate in under 5 mins. It looks like all the options will be either slow (wood fired pizza) or cold (sandwich joints). Now, I like to eat healthy, but it seems to me that at least one of the options ought to be of the "crowd pleasing fast food" variety.
Well, IIRC, the deli at the gate 40 end of T4 will heat up any "cold" sandwich I want and let me pay for it in way under 5 minutes typicaly (of course, like anywhere, it depends on the line). So I can have healthy, hot, and fast, all at the same time.

Meanwhile, how slow wood fired pizza is depends on whether it's made to order or not. Over in T1, CPK runs a very efficient and flexible pizza operation, where if you want a pizza that isn't ready or in process, you can get any pizza in about 10 minutes, but they tend to have a reasonable supply of "just made" pizzas always waiting (or a minute or two away) for those customers who'd rather have it fast than to-spec.

Does Sammy's Woodfired Pizza have an existing airport concession somewhere else (that we could use to see whether they'll do this as well for cusotmers in need of food fast as CPK in T1 does)?
Old May 6, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
does someone have the map for TBIT or T1-T3?

the UA terminal is getting a yogurtland and seven... nice!
Old May 6, 2011, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UALpremier
So no Starbucks airside? Or am I missing something? Because the Starbucks by BK was always very busy . . .
+1
In every terminal I normally go through (4, 6, 7, 8) starbucks is very busy every morning. Moving one outside would make no sense at all - "better" food is not gonna replace a cup of coffee...

Actually it looks even worse - starbucks are gone from other terminal being replaced with coffee bean. Ouch!
Old May 6, 2011, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by lobo411
Looks like the food at T4 is going from bad to worse. None of these joints look like fast-food places to me. Sure, fast food gets a bad rap, but fast food has one advantage--it's fast.
So excited about seeing Homegirl Cafe! They are a wonderful non-profit in East LA that offers all kinds of services to ex-gang members. And this is the only one that I've seen actually makes a difference. Their Cafe near Silver Lake is one of our favorite places to go for breakfast.

I'm sure they'll have excellent options, and supporting them does a really great service to keep them in the position of being able to continue doing their important work.

Last edited by JY1024; May 6, 2011 at 7:54 pm Reason: fixed [quote] syntax
Old May 6, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Well, IIRC, the deli at the gate 40 end of T4 will heat up any "cold" sandwich I want and let me pay for it in way under 5 minutes typicaly (of course, like anywhere, it depends on the line). So I can have healthy, hot, and fast, all at the same time.
I hate that place.

Their sandwiches are too pointy. Cuts up my mouth.
Old May 6, 2011, 3:45 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by sts603
Why does AA want to open it in the first place? And why would DL care?
AA wants easier connections to AS, which is moving to T6, which is connected to T5 by a similar tunnel. DL doesn't want AA having that conviencne. In the end it doesn't matter that DL doesn't want it open, DL has no power to stop AA from having it opened.
Old May 6, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by jefftf1
So excited about seeing Homegirl Cafe! They are a wonderful non-profit in East LA that offers all kinds of services to ex-gang members. And this is the only one that I've seen actually makes a difference.
Mmmm, good tacos for a good cause. Hopefully they'll also offer some of the bakery items.

However, the coffee situation at LAX is looking very disappointing. Luckily I seldom fly out of there in the mornings.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Aww look at little T4 growing up into a real cornerstone terminal.

Glad to see this. LAX T4's dismal options are what actually compelled me to join the Admiral's Club. I'd held out for a while, but one afternoon I arrived at LAX much earlier than I planned (a rare and stunning lack of traffic on the 405). I looked over the Chili's Too and On The Border with their 100% occupied barstools and I just... couldn't... do... it. So I walked in to the AC and joined right then and there.

Plus it's good to see more cities giving local joints a shot at their airports. AUS and PDX are a couple of my favorites just for that reason.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
There are two Starbucks in T4. One between security and the Admiral's Club, and one down at the far end by the high numbered gates.

The second one always has a shorter line. Shhhh.
Old May 6, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel
There are two Starbucks in T4. One between security and the Admiral's Club, and one down at the far end by the high numbered gates.

The second one always has a shorter line. Shhhh.
I don't see those Starbuck locations in the new plans though.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by azepine00
+1
In every terminal I normally go through (4, 6, 7, 8) starbucks is very busy every morning. Moving one outside would make no sense at all - "better" food is not gonna replace a cup of coffee...

Actually it looks even worse - starbucks are gone from other terminal being replaced with coffee bean. Ouch!
Yes, it's defiantly down grade to not have starbucks airside. LA seems to be moving to a similar policy as SFO where starbucks is essentially banned or relegated to undesirable locations.
Old May 6, 2011, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Now if they can just open up those airside halls to other terminals
Originally Posted by sts603
Why does AA want to open it in the first place? And why would DL care?
And why does DL have any say about this?

The tunnels were a cool way to quickly get to the other terminals and were an excellent option to stretch one's legs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.