Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Takeoff/Departures Using Runways 06 and 07

LAX Takeoff/Departures Using Runways 06 and 07

Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other day on the way back to LAX the pilot casually announced that our back up airport was ONT... Can't say i was particularly excited about finding my way back from there close to midnight but luckily they found a spot for us and we landed at LAX as planned.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 9:10 pm

This happened to me on an Eagle flight (AA 3037) from LAX to SBA @ 4:45 PM...so annoying. We taxied for 20 mins just to get to the runway, and then we took an extra long route into SBA. Total time from door closing to door opening was 60 mins for a 90 mi flight.

Every Eagle flight from LAX I've been on has arrived on runway 24 and departed on runway 25. Yesterday, we started off by taxiing west next to 25R but held short of runway 7L for about 5-10 mins. Then we hung a right and headed north to runway 6 (I don't remember if it was L or R) for departure, which took another 10 mins. Very annoying.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:10 pm

East traffic today

I just noticed that LAX is doing east traffic today. It's totally calm and sunny. Why are they doing it?
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Flew into LAX this afternoon and landed on 7R. Departed an hour later taking off from 6R. Interesting to do this during daylight hours.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:36 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Landed tonight from the west about 6:45pm. Pilot said the winds were from the south.

Quite bumpy about 50 miles east of the airport.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by timzheng
I just noticed that LAX is doing east traffic today. It's totally calm and sunny. Why are they doing it?
Supposedly wind, according to another thread.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:14 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Had my first ever LAX eastbound landing, on 6L, this past Saturday. Had channel 9 on which helped...guy next to me was shocked to see the ocean under the plane after we broke through the overcast.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
LAX flights departing to the east

Flown several hundred flights out of LAX and never experienced this. Not sure if winds (which weren't bad) or construction but all flights were not flying out west over the ocean upon departure but were taking off easterly over the city. Anyone know why...currently on AA 1372 to ORD.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
My guess was the winds over the weekend. I saw this when I was shopping in El Segundo yesterday.

On Saturday, the same phenomenon at LGB, which I can see from my home. Flights approaching from the NW, which is the opposite of normal.

I think this is normal when we have Santa Anas
Old May 6, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
Thanks Oski, just crazy I've never noticed this.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
W
Originally Posted by sm82
Flown several hundred flights out of LAX and never experienced this. Not sure if winds (which weren't bad) or construction but all flights were not flying out west over the ocean upon departure but were taking off easterly over the city. Anyone know why...currently on AA 1372 to ORD.
Winds.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:00 pm

Here's an existing thread on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...ays-6-7-a.html

Strangely enough, I flew in and out of ONT on Saturday and it was the normal landing and taking off to the West.
Old May 6, 2013, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Outside of winds, don't we also get the backwards landing if it's super-duper late arrival into LAX? For some reason, I seem to recall this as well?
Old May 6, 2013, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Started at least last night - we approached from the ocean.
Quite unusual IMO as we don't really have any winds now... Maybe this is somehow related to construction..
Old May 6, 2013, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Outside of winds, don't we also get the backwards landing if it's super-duper late arrival into LAX? For some reason, I seem to recall this as well?
I belive the quiet, over-ocean approaches go into effect at 12 midnight until 6 am or something like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.