Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

LAX Takeoff/Departures Using Runways 06 and 07

LAX Takeoff/Departures Using Runways 06 and 07

Old Mar 25, 16, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Originally Posted by macpacheco View Post
Large airports with two sets of runways with good separation between them like LAX allows for the interesting theoretical scenarios, like the two runways to the north doing takeoff/landings to the east and the southern runways doing takeoff/landings to the west.
In more than 30 years of flying in and out of LAX I have never seen this in practice. While theoretically possible in light winds, as you say, it would be a nightmare for air traffic control, both on the ground and in the air.
Old Mar 29, 16, 12:55 pm

It is preferable to land and take off into the wind. Since the prevailing winds at LAX are from west to east, coming off the ocean, this favors LAX operations to take off over the ocean. They switch around nightly for noise abatement assuming the winds aren't too strong, and during "Santa Ana" conditions when the wind direction at LAX changes to come from the east.
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:04 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott/spg, M life, and Hertz
Resurrecting this older thread to share my recent experiences. The winter storm season has resulted in some reversed wind patterns, so Runways 6 and 7 have been used. I arrived around 11:45 am on Monday and we landed on 6L. I departed today at 6:15 am and we used 7L.