I want to burn miles-where to go with 35k?

Old Jan 9, 04, 10:33 am
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

I want to burn miles-where to go with 35k?

I want to fly off somewhere for a weekend so I can use up the last 35,000 miles in my GlobalPass account.

If I can only be gone for two nights, flying TACA from IAD, where would you recommend I go? Some good food, a couple of interesting sites...

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)

Last edited by MileageAddict; Aug 20, 04 at 4:08 am
Old Jan 9, 04, 9:43 pm
Original Member

Dave--have you been down to Costa Rica? Head down to Jaco or Quepos on the Pacific Coast. Go out on one of the deep sea fishing boats. Check out the monkeys in Manuel antonio national park. See the crocs in the Tarcoles river.

E-mail me if you want information. Couple of nice Marriotts to use MR points too.

Djlawman
Old Jan 11, 04, 3:47 pm

If you have not seen the Panama Canal, it would certainly be worthwhile.

A couple years ago, I used some LP miles to go to Panama. During the milage run, I noticed an advertisement at the airport about a boat that travels the Panama Canal every Saturday. Once a month it travels the entire distance, starting in Panama City-with a bus return provided. The other Saturdays it travels halfway, and return by bus. I made my reservation to be there the Saturday for the full canal view and really enjoyed it. I am happy to be able to see it without the obligation of a 10-14 night cruise.

We worked with the "Panama Jones" tour group and were pleased with their service. At that time our contact lived and worked out of Oklahoma.

The schedule for full transit Saturdays can be found at
http://www.panamacanal.com/schedule.htm

FYI I tried an old web address for Argo tours (the company that previously operated the boat tours) and it said they had ceased operations. Hopefully someone still operates them
Old Jan 13, 04, 11:57 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
From IAD, you're pretty limited to flights only via SAL (as opposed to LACSA SJO--South America which would require a SJO overnight).

Given this is your last LP ticket, I would use it to go somewhere that the other majors don't fly--- Roatan, Honduras or Tikal, Guatemala come to mind as spots that would be hard to visit on AA/CO/DL/UA. Maybe look into spots like that.
Old Jan 18, 04, 2:40 pm
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

I'm still researching my itinerary for the last of my TACA miles and have decided to either fly to San Pedro Sula, Honduras and visit the Ruins of Copan or visit the Panama Canal. I considered Flores, Guatemala and Roatan, Honduras but they are just not feasible for a weekend trip. TACA has some really horendous flight schedules when trying to connect in San Salvador.

So...I speak 4 four words of Spanish. Anyone else want to go on a weekend trip with me? I'll buy the beer, you use your Spanish to get us out of trouble....

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)

[This message has been edited by MileageAddict (edited Jan 18, 2004).]

Search this Thread