Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > LatinPass/GlobalPass
Reload this Page >

New rules on expiring miles.. you wont believe this one

Old May 27, 03, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Hi , I wanted to make sure that my million miles would be extended for 3 more years, thus I did a hotel stay on May 10 with Hilton.

My last 'service date' with Global Pass was june 24,2000.. my understanding was that I had til June 24,2003 for a qualifying activity to extend the miles.

Now they tell me that the rule is based on 36 months , so the expiry date is the first day of the 36th month, so in my case that would be June 1,2003. Has anyone out there studied the rules in detail or heard of this one before?

Next , they tell me that they have a NEW rule that the activity must be posted 4 weeks before the expiry date, so in my case that would be May 1 instead of June 1, so I will lose all the miles in my account as a result. Has anyone heard of this rule or read anything like this in the rules?

I would appreciate any input as soon as possible, as time is of the essence here for me.

thanks, tom

Old May 27, 03, 1:29 pm

If they are going to base the 36 months on service dates, they need to do the same thing on both ends.

If they are going to base the 36 months on the 1st day of the month in which the activity occurred, they need to do THAT on both ends.

If they want to require that activity post 4 weeks ahead of the required service date, they are just plain crazy, especially when the member has absolutely no control over how long a partner takes to post the mileage credit. How is a credit supposed to post before it is earned?

I hate to say this, but I'd be contacting my state Attorney General and a lawyer if I were convinced they intended to take my miles in this way.

Old May 27, 03, 1:49 pm

Looks like the part about actual posting before expiration is true based on the following information now on the GP Web site:

Mileage Expiration

GlobalPass mileage does not expire as customers remain active. All earned mileage will expire if the account does not reflect a qualifying activity within 36 months from the last Service Date.

Qualifying activity is defined as earned mileage credits on a GlobalPass participating Service Provider or transferring miles INBOUND from a participating "Transfer" Program. Qualifying activity must be “posted” in the GlobalPass Customer Account prior to expiration.

Once mileage has expired, a retroactive credit will not reverse or revalidate expired miles.

On average, GlobalPass Service Providers take 4 to 6 weeks to send customer activity to GlobalPass to become “posted”. It is the responsibility of the GlobalPass Customer to maintain activity and allow sufficient time to record their activity.

Looks like the 4 weeks you mentioned is just an estimate of the minimum required posting time. However, there is no mention of moving dates to the 1st of the month.

If you have a Diners Club card, make an EXPEDITED Diners Club transfer of 2000 points to 1000 GP miles TODAY -- then fight them later, if necessary.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 05-27-2003).]
Old May 27, 03, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input DHacker.

I've contacted the customer service manager ,(Noelia) and she corrected Amelia's information about the 4 week advance rule. She said that Amelia must have been referring to retroactive credits or something like that. So I hope that there is no such rule to worry about.

Meantime, I feel like I am at the mercy of Global Pass ... if my hotel transaction does not post by the due date, then the miles will expire.

I hope that I won't have to persue this and that the hotel stay will credit to the global pass account on time.

The customer service manager that I spoke to was very knowledgable and helpful, and stated that they would try to assist me , as long as it was within the policies and procedures that they have. I thought that was rather funny.

tom
Old May 27, 03, 5:47 pm

Programs: Hilton, IHG, Choice, Alaska, Avianca, Japan Airlines
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Thomas Gregory:
Hi , I wanted to make sure that my million miles would be extended for 3 more years, thus I did a hotel stay on May 10 with Hilton.

My last 'service date' with Global Pass was june 24,2000.. my understanding was that I had til June 24,2003 for a qualifying activity to extend the miles.

Now they tell me that the rule is based on 36 months , so the expiry date is the first day of the 36th month, so in my case that would be June 1,2003. Has anyone out there studied the rules in detail or heard of this one before?

</font>
This is tragic news if true. My wife's account has a last service date of June 28th. If what you have said is correct then we will lose over 500,000 miles on June 1st. I can't believe this.

She attempted to transfer miles into GlobalPass on April 14th but is still says pending.

She rented a car from AVIS in Guam late April and no show yet on the GlobalPass Account.

She has a booking for the Hilton on June 21st in Canada.

This is three activities that would have been fine under the old rules. Now what?

Plus we are waiting on two business class reward tickets. The status on the tickets is "pending". Miles have not been withdrawn from account yet. Does this mean GP will not issue.

Terrible news.

[This message has been edited by davistev (edited 05-27-2003).]
Old May 27, 03, 5:58 pm

As moderator (who has never yet had to take any action whatsoever) of both the GP and Diners forums, let me quote myself

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhacker:
If you have a Diners Club card, make an EXPEDITED Diners Club transfer of 2000 points to 1000 GP miles TODAY -- then fight them later, if necessary.</font>
This could possibly post within a few days. Might be worth the fee, just in case.

Old May 27, 03, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Davistev, I agree that it would be tragic if this were true.

To clarify what happened later today, after my first posting, I made a few calls to global pass and finally got to speak to a supervisor.

She checked my account, and found that I have a June 30, 2000 last service date. We discussed that the date by which my transaction must post is June 30,2003... thus three years after the last service date. She did not mention the June 1 date, so neither did I. In fact, she advised me that the transaction would very likely post by june 30, and she thought that I would be OK in regards to keeping my miles alive.

I am assuming that the information which Amelia gave me earlier today was wrong.. thus, the expiry of the mileage will be a full 36 months from the last service date, and not the first day of the 36th month following.

I will confirm this in writing to GP.

tom
Old May 27, 03, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

DHacker, I wish that I had a diners club account to do an expidited transfer.. but I cancelled my diners club last year.

Meantime , i just did a marriott transfer from marriott to global pass.. I asked marriott to do it on a rush basis , and that I would pay any expedite fee.. Marriott checked and they do in fact have a rush service for transfers, however Global Pass is one of the few partners that does not participate in the rush program, so best they can do is just send the transfer via the usual process.

I'll just wait and hope one of my transactions posts in time.

If not, I will look for every way to persue this further.

Marriott also told me that they will no longer be participating in the Global Pass program as of July 8,2003. I guess I will do a separate posting of this information.

thanks for the input...

tom

tom.
Old May 27, 03, 7:00 pm

Good news about the June 1st date not being accurate.

I will rent a car this weekend in Nagoya. Stay at the Holiday Inn express in Osaka as well.

This will bring me to Five activities. Surely one will post.

Old May 27, 03, 8:44 pm

Davistev,

I would look into the business class tickets that are listed as pending. I have made two reservations recently, paid shipping and taxes by credit card and the miles were deducted for the tickets that day. I was given the ticket numbers before I hung up with GP.
Old May 27, 03, 10:16 pm

Thanks Cyberg,

I will look into the tickets when I get home from work. We have the ticket numbers and the fees have been processed on our CC - but no tickets as yet. Departure date is next February.

Lets hope all goes well.
Old May 27, 03, 11:02 pm

Okay - I am getting anxious here. I am also going to transfer some Canadian AMEX MR points to Marriott. Then transfer 10,000 Marriott points to GlobalPass. Only trouble is I do not have enough MR points until June 12th !!!

If only my Hilton transfer into GP was processed in time. I will need to follow up on this as it was posted online on April 14th but it still says "pending". As you know GP and Hilton ceased their relationship on May 1st.

Surely, I have to have some luck.

Dave
Old May 27, 03, 11:06 pm

GP states under provider conditions that the maximum time to post these qualifying activities:

Prog. Name Access Max.Posting Time Posting Cond.
A4 Southern Winds Direct Posted in 5 Days Automaticaly
VX Aces Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
VH Aeropostal Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
AV Avianca Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
GU Aviateca Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
CM Copa Airlines Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
KL KLM Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
LR Lacsa Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
6Y Nica Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
MM Sam Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
TA Taca Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
US US Airways Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Prov. Must Approve
HH3 Conrad International Hotels Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
CY Courtyard by Marriott Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HI1 Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HH4 Doubletree Hotels Suites Resor Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HH5 Embassy Suites Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
FI Fairfield Inn by Marriott Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HH8 Hampton Inn & Suites Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HH1 Hilton Garden Inn Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HH Hilton Hotels & Resorts Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HI2 Holiday Inn Express Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HI Holiday Inn Hotels & Resorts Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HH2 Homewood Suites by Hilton Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HI4 InterContinental Hotels Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
CC Marriott Conference Centers Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
MA Marriott Hotels, Resorts & Sui Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
MV Marriott Vacation Club Interna Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
RD Radisson Hotels & Resorts Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
BR Renaissance Hotels & Resorts Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
RI Residence Inn by Marriott Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HHA Scandic Hotels Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
SH SpringHill Suites by Marriott Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
HI3 Staybridge Suites by Holiday I Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
TS TownePlace Suites by Marriott Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
ZI Avis Rent a Car Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
TH Thrifty Car Rental Standard Posted in 4 Weeks Automaticaly
Old May 27, 03, 11:56 pm

OK - I am also going to stay at the Rennaissance Hotel in Gifu, Japan on Friday Night. This will bring me to seven activities.

1) AVIS Guam on April 4th.
2) Hilton Transfer in on April 14th.
3) Rennaissance Hotel, Japan on May 30th.
4) AVIS Nagoya on May 31st.
5) Holiday Inn Kobe, Japan on May 31st.
6) Hilton Toronto on June 21st.
7) AMEX MR transfer to Marriott then to GP.

If this doesn't work - shoot me! I believe the decision to not allow credit by transaction date is a pretty tough one to take on the chin. All other programmes go by transaction date - not posting date.

[This message has been edited by davistev (edited 05-27-2003).]
Old Jun 1, 03, 4:25 am

ok - time to shoot myself. My wife's account has been set to zero. Her last Service date was June 30th, 2003. She should have until June 30th, 2003 as per GP rules. Where on earth did June 1st come from?

Search this Thread