Bolivia (How on LP)

Old May 29, 03, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Bolivia (How on LP)

Any way to use my GP Miles to Bolivia, or Caracas.
Old May 29, 03, 8:15 pm

Programs: Hilton, IHG, Choice, Alaska, Avianca, Japan Airlines
Aeropostal has its base in Caracas with flights to Miami.

I believe Taca goes to La Paz, Bolivia from Lima but I could be wrong.

Old May 30, 03, 6:51 am
Original Poster

I knew that from Caracas forgot to mention, I live in Dallas, looks like my best option is Houston to Europe via KLM or Taca to Costa Rica. May do that, and go to the Marriott Resort there, that's on the beach, apparently two hors from San Jose.
Old May 30, 03, 7:31 am

MilesRUs,

I have been to the Marriott in Costa Rica. It is a good three to three and a half hours from San Jose and the beach at that resort is appauling. Realy just a bunch of pebbles behind a boat harbor lagoon. Great swimming pools however. Rooms are clean and quite nice, food is very expensive. Resort is isolated. Closest town maybe 5 - 10 miles.

Thirty or forty miles south of Marriott is town of Quepos. Beautiful beaches by Manuel Antonio National Park. some very reasonably priced hotels with great food at very affordable prices.

You can get to Bolivia on Taca, they fly there three times a week from Lima. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by cyberg (edited 05-30-2003).]
Old May 30, 03, 8:07 am

We really enjoyed our award stay at the Los Suenos Marriott. It is a quick hop into Jaco for good, cheap meals (just watch out for the sobriety checkpoint while headed back to resort). We found the location to be very convenient for visits to Manuel Antonio and other parks and preserves. I must drive faster than cyberg or my memory is failing because I only remember the trip taking a couple of hours!

The beach isn't that great, but my kids still enjoyed it. There was definitely sand on the beach, beyond the pebbles. I know because my son (7 years old at the time) spent hours digging in it. He also talked the ear off the US ambassador to Costa Rica while swimming and wading in the Pacific ocean off that beach. He was there because Joe Leiberman was staying at the hotel. This was the summer of 2001, not too long after the election fiasco.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 05-30-2003).]
Old May 30, 03, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Did you rent a car to get there? I thought I would just take a cab from the Marriott. Flights don't get to San Jose till 830 in the evening. May just blow it off, but thought it is my only way to use my LP Miles unless they get a US carrier onboard. It's also tougher living in Dallas currently Taca is the only carrier here.
Old May 30, 03, 8:55 am

We rented an SUV for our entire trip, which included several days in a cabin near the base of the active Arenal volcano. Nothing like watching lava tumble down the side a night from your front porch. The SUV's are not cheap, but definitely worth it to get through some washed out roads. A taxi from SJO to Los Suenos might be pricey. A taxi from the resort to Jaco for dinner would probably be reasonable.
Old May 30, 03, 10:34 am

My wife just pointed out to me when we drove to the Marriott we encountered much road construction. Hence my estimate of driving time may not be accurate as to driving time.

I would not do the trip without a car. You do not need four wheel drive to go to Marriott but will need one if you are going inland to Rain forest region. Try to plan vacation in dry season. Wet season our summer is very wet.

Costa Rica has a very unusual requirement for rental cars. You must take extra liability insurance and it includes a CDW with rather high deductable. Could use credit card insurance only to cover deductable. Avis actually called my credit card company when we were there to see if I was covered before they allowed me to sign waiver of additional insurance. (Only place in the world that has happened.) Still charged $12 per day extra for liability insurance. I

Search this Thread