Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > LatinPass/GlobalPass
Reload this Page >

TA dwngrds its NUTS; CE srvce levels at all time low;lots of sch chgs = MORE MILE 4U

TA dwngrds its NUTS; CE srvce levels at all time low;lots of sch chgs = MORE MILE 4U

Old Dec 21, 05, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
Are you sure you were on LR????? And not CO
Well, unless CO have a flight that leaves at 5.25am from JFK to SJO, and have changed their livery to have a red and white nose, have established a hub in SJO and speak Spanish as their first language, it must still have been LR Forgot to add that checkin at 4.00am at JFK was a breeze, notwithstanding the presence of a group of 6 persons before us. Interestingly, Taca agents made sure that only C-class tickets joined the queue for the business check-in desk.
Old Dec 21, 05, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
Well, unless CO have a flight that leaves at 5.25am from JFK to SJO, and have changed their livery to have a red and white nose, have established a hub in SJO and speak Spanish as their first language, it must still have been LR Forgot to add that checkin at 4.00am at JFK was a breeze, notwithstanding the presence of a group of 6 persons before us. Interestingly, Taca agents made sure that only C-class tickets joined the queue for the business check-in desk.
I still stand by my disappointing view of them. As for the Biz check-in line , it was that way only 1 time when I had to check-in that they were checking to make sure that you belonged there. As luck would have it, it was on my last trip which I was going in Coach but the display of the Biz jacket in my pocket worked as they didnt ask to see the tkt. (I didnt check-in at that counter but NEEDED to by the Girl at the counter next to it whom was the one who Uped me on my last trip.)

Check-in isnt the problem as much as going thru Security is, even thou they have 1st/Biz line once you present your tkt and go thru the door , its ALL 1 very long line as COPA and another Carrier are leaving also. And then there is 1 machine working sometimes a 2nd and once got lucky they opened up a 3rd. Found it best to wait till around 4:45am to go thru Security as it was much quicker then.

Sorry but having been on over 12 different TA/LR flights within the past 2 months , I dont Believe that they handed out Pillows and Blanets are a hit or miss as well. Mostly missed on almost ALL of my flights. Then the Dec Mag "Escapes" finally took the place of the Nov ones ONLY on my last flight from SJO-JFK on 12/15 and I took 8 flights in Dec.

Last edited by craz; Dec 21, 05 at 10:37 am
Old Jan 2, 06, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As an add-on, we flew UIO-LIM-GRU just before Xmas, and experience was similar to our earlier one a few days earlier for JFK-SJO-UIO. Blankets were not offered automatically on the LIM-GRU flight but were given on request without problem (in biz).
Regarding lounges, we were initially denied an invite for the lounge at UIO on the ground that our tickets were booked in D class and were 'upgraded' tickets. When we insisted that our tickets were in fact full awards rather than upgrades, lounge invitations were issued.
Similar experience in LIM, where the lounge assistant first denied us access on the same ground and let us through when we insisted that the tickets were biz awards rather than upgrades. And the orange juicing machine is still there
Old Jan 3, 06, 9:51 pm

I just returned from an ORD-PTY round trip (actually ORD-GUA-SJO-PTY-SJO-GUA-ORD) in Business Class. There was a special check-in line at O'Hare as well as in Panama City, though in Panama City it didn't matter, as we were first in line anyway.

I though the service was mediocre on the ORD-GUA and GUA-ORD legs. From ORD to GUA they did bring a drink after everyone boarded but before takeoff. There was a meal service, but I can't comment on it, as the flight left O'Hare at 2 a.m. and I slept through the meal and movie. We had a couple-hour layover in Guatemala City and were able to use the TACA louinge there. (Nobody told us about it - we just stumbled across it on our own.)

On the return home to O'Hare from Guatemala City there was no beverage service at all -- came by about half an hour after we were airborn and asked what we wanted to drink, and brought it with dinner (choice of hot turkey sandwich or chicken salad). The meal was not what I would expect in business class on an international flight -- but then, what would I have gotten on a late night 4-hour flight on American or United?? They never came around again to serve beverages, however, which I think was very poor service. There also was no video entertainment of any kind on the GUA-ORD flight, although there was a movie from ORD to GUA, and shorts on all the other segments.

On the local Central American legs, it appeared to be a totally separate airline. (I guess technically it was -- as the ORD-GUA-ORD segments were TACA, and the GUA-SJO-PTY-SJO-GUA segments were LACSA.) Even though the SJO-PTY-SJO legs were under an hour, they provided pre-flight drinks (with hot nuts), in-flight drinks (with more hot nuts), and a meal on each segment! The meals weren't huge, but they were tasty. The staff was pleasant and seemed as though they really wanted to provide service.

I would be delighted to fly TACA/LACSA again within Central America, but I don't think I would fly them again to/from the USA, especially in Business Class, unless I had miles to burn and nowhere else to use them.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: