FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   LatinPass/GlobalPass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latinpass-globalpass-494/)
-   -   TACA will not honor Global Pass reservations for travel in 2006! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latinpass-globalpass/465995-taca-will-not-honor-global-pass-reservations-travel-2006-a.html)

cygone Sep 22, 2005 9:16 pm

Let me first try to understand what you are trying to do. You have a ticket booked after June 26th you originally booked for travel in 2006. You were told that you can not use next year but can use if you change travel dates to this year. You want to change reservations to the next couple of months and have GP send you the tickets. You than are hoping to change the tickets to travel next year. If I got that correct; I don’t think you will be able to do it.

First I am not certain that you can change the reservation back to this year and I am not sure GP will ticket the new reservation. If you did get the reservation I am fairly certain it will contain an endorsement that specifies last day of travel as December 31, 2005.

That being said I think if you booked a reservation after between June 26th and June 30th I think it is TACAs’ responsibility to honor the reservation since they are the ones that changed the rules in the middle of the game. I would point out to them they sent email on June 30th stating the last day of participation in the GP program was June 30th. Not much notice but I don’t think they can change conditions retroactively.

tfjim Sep 22, 2005 9:45 pm

Cygone, you have my strategy correct. I have already made the changes with TACA, so that's a done deal. I was talking to Marissa and she stated that if I could get the reservations changed to 2005 they would issue the tickets. :confused: So, there you go, a nutty response to a nutty situation. I agree that I think that they really ought to issue the darn things, but honestly, I don't feel like fighting with them over this. This is one way I see around it. The only bummer is that I have most likely lost my preferred dates for travel next year.

If you did get the reservation I am fairly certain it will contain an endorsement that specifies last day of travel as December 31, 2005.
I don't know why they would do this>??? Has anybody else been issued tickets with this restriction? I don't think so. I don't know why they would go to the trouble of changing just for me.

My only risk here is that the tickets won't be able to be changed. In that case I'll send the tickets back to GP and get my taxes back. Now that may be a fight, but I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there. I'll only be out any expedite fees should I choose to pay those.

cygone Sep 23, 2005 8:08 am

tfjim,

They will not be changing policy just for you, my son just returned from Ecuador, he changed his reservation on June 28th and his tickets clearly stated (hand written of course) no travel after December 31, 2005. Have another friend who actually tried to do what you are attempting. Had tickets too Costa Rica requested on June 29 for travel in March of next year. He was able to change travel dates to November 2005: tickets have endorsement of no travel after December 31st. I have seen several other posts in this forum mentioning the tickets they received had a December 31st endorsement. I would assume these people also had booked after June 26th.

One thing I am certain about GP and TACA is: they are never consistent, what they did last week, may change this week, so your strategy is worth a try. What I would hope is some screw up occurs and they forget to put the endorsement on your tickets, or maybe the policy change again.

If I were you I would get the tickets and hope they don’t contain December 31 endorsement. If you can travel this year you have lost nothing, if not it is a small gamble (you will loose taxes and delivery fees). You will know once you get the tickets if you can change them but I would not count on it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

tfjim Sep 23, 2005 10:34 am

That is bad news that there is the endorsement on there now. I am speaking to Marissa at this moment and she states that people have had varied reactions to the whole situation and maybe we should write to someone in administration. Crazy. :rolleyes:

For the time being I am going to have them all issued and see what I can do about changing them back. LOL. I'm in Chicago on October 10th, so I'll head to the airport and see what I can do there.

Thanks though for getting back to me with your experiences.

vandykes44 Sep 23, 2005 1:10 pm

What are you going to do at the Chicago airport? Does Taca have an office there?

tfjim Sep 23, 2005 1:26 pm

TACA has a desk at Chicago who can reissue tickets I presume. This seems to be the procedure.

Ok, well the Latinpass tack of changing the dates worked. So, ok there. I will take my chances with the reissue matter and the endorsement date when I get to the airport. My guess is that the date changes with reservations will be ok, but I'm not sure what the counter folk will do....

Get this, I specifically asked the Globalpass people that if I do not use the tickets how do I go about having my taxes refunded. She said it's not possible to have the taxes refunded!!! :eek: So, here's another insane issue that will have to be worked out.

cygone Sep 23, 2005 1:38 pm

Whos administrator! TACA or Global Pass?

NickB Sep 23, 2005 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by tfjim
Get this, I specifically asked the Globalpass people that if I do not use the tickets how do I go about having my taxes refunded. She said it's not possible to have the taxes refunded!!! :eek: So, here's another insane issue that will have to be worked out.

Not sure it is worth the effort. Taxes are low (since some of the taxes in Central/South America are paid on departure rather than included in the ticket). Not usual for airlines to charge you a service fee when requesting refund of taxes, that often ends up higher than the amount of taxes due.

Customer Care Sep 23, 2005 4:11 pm

Dear tfjim aka Name removed by the moderator, allow us to clarify (for all) what you are suggesting to do. You made your award reservations on June 28 and TACA accepted erroneously your travel dates for 2006. GlobalPass was unable to issue those award tickets and you have now changed your reservations for travel dates in 2005. This is acceptable by both, TACA and GlobalPass.

However, you are now insinuating to change your reservations directly with TACA after you receive the tickets to your original 2006 travel dates. This will be a huge mistake and GlobalPass will NOT be responsible for your loss of miles and award tickets. Furthermore, GlobalPass will not be able to return or re-deposit miles from GlobalAwards if not used.

As far as the issuance of Award tickets goes, allow us to clarify. GlobalPass (and LatinPass) issues(d) award tickets close to the travel dates for a simple and logical reason. Once a ticket is physically issued, it automatically gets recorded in a Sales Report. All Sales Reports must be paid by GlobalPass to the corresponding airline at the end of each month. It was always agree with the airlines that they would get paid prior to or close to the travel date of each award.

The reason we will not be able to honor re-deposit of miles and refunds, is also very simple. Once GlobalPass has paid a Sales Report, and the airline is no longer a participant, GlobalPass will be unable to obtain a refund from such airline.

Sincerely,
Customer Care

tfjim Sep 24, 2005 7:35 am

Ok, well there you go folks. Miles down the drain. Now we know for certain that Globalpass is monitoring these boards.

I accept everything they say in their post as true and freely admit it is not only a mistake to try this, but a huge pain in my a$$. However, I followed the procedures set forth by Globalpass when they announced the change in the program and made reservations prior to the June 30th cutoff. This was then retroactively changed by them to June 26, when? in August sometime???? :mad: I was just trying to find a way to use my miles when originally following the rules set down by them. Oy.

Am I wrong? Shouldn't I expect to have had this handled properly in the first place and have Globalpass honor their original specifications????? I mean really, this is too much. Not only that, what in the world could have prompted them to finally respond here to my messages above. We have been here for years now wondering about Latinpass/Globalpass intentions and now the FINALLY decide to respond? Not only that, they go and put my full name in the post. Wonderful, what a professional organization. Not much gets me really mad, but this one has now burned my goose to the limit.

For my friends here at FT if my postings above have in any way affected something you were trying to do I apologize well in advance.

Originally Posted by Customer Care
Dear tfjim aka (gee, thanks for posting my name :mad: ), allow us to clarify (for all) what you are suggesting to do. You made your award reservations on June 28 and TACA accepted erroneously your travel dates for 2006. GlobalPass was unable to issue those award tickets and you have now changed your reservations for travel dates in 2005. This is acceptable by both, TACA and GlobalPass.

However, you are now insinuating to change your reservations directly with TACA after you receive the tickets to your original 2006 travel dates. This will be a huge mistake and GlobalPass will NOT be responsible for your loss of miles and award tickets. Furthermore, GlobalPass will not be able to return or re-deposit miles from GlobalAwards if not used.

As far as the issuance of Award tickets goes, allow us to clarify. GlobalPass (and LatinPass) issues(d) award tickets close to the travel dates for a simple and logical reason. Once a ticket is physically issued, it automatically gets recorded in a Sales Report. All Sales Reports must be paid by GlobalPass to the corresponding airline at the end of each month. It was always agree with the airlines that they would get paid prior to or close to the travel date of each award.

The reason we will not be able to honor re-deposit of miles and refunds, is also very simple. Once GlobalPass has paid a Sales Report, and the airline is no longer a participant, GlobalPass will be unable to obtain a refund from such airline.

Sincerely,
Customer Care

Sydneyjb Sep 25, 2005 12:59 am

They will hand write on the ticket " Not valid after 12/31/2005 " Trust me!!!

MileSmiles Sep 30, 2005 8:27 pm

All my tkts , some for travel in Nov 05 and some for travel Apr 06 have " Not valid after Jun06" in the endorsment box. Does this mean I will be able to travel in 2006 ?

milesrus Oct 2, 2005 3:34 pm

Ditto those are my plans unless they stamp date for no extension of travel on the ticket

Originally Posted by tfjim
I am in the situation where the reservations were made after June 26th for travel in 2006. I called Globalpass yesterday and Marissa restated the above comments about no tickets in 2006 for me. LOL. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I called TACA and changed all my reservations to October/November dates with the intention of changing them with TACA directly. I know there has been some talk of this, but before I plunk down the cash for the taxes and expedite fees I just wanted to confirm with a few of you that this should workout. Most of the hassle will be getting to Chicago at some point to change the tickets and then hoping that dates are available in 2006 close to what I had previously.

FOOLISHRUNNER Oct 19, 2005 9:29 am

I originally had made reservations to use my remaining miles on a trip for my family of 4 from Chicago to San Jose from Dec 26-Jan 2, 2006, but the trip was denied by TACA when Globalpass tried to get the tickets issued because of the "NO travel after Dec 31st" rule. I was successfully able to get TACA to change the reservation to Dec 26-30 so I lost 3 days, but GlobalPass agreed to process. Looks like it is a go as I have award numbers for the 2 reservations and they charged my credit card. Now I just need advice on what should I do with my 4 1/2 days in Costa Rica besides visit San Jose for a few hours.

SAPMAN Oct 19, 2005 10:41 am

I remember a thread, in GP forum I think, were there were lots of posts on what to do. Do a search.

I was there 3 mos ago on an Award. Picked up a rental car and drove to the northern coast. I got a nice all inclusive hotel from the Travel Auction site - and just vegged out much of the time. Roads are a bit rough, but not too much traffic once outside SJO (you do not need to go through the town).

Also went to Jaco area (Marriott). It is very touristy and I do not think beaches are as nice. But then I did not think any of beaches I saw were up to Hawaii or Mexico standards.

There is an ATM in Airport near the TACA help desk and airport info desk by, I think, Gate 4. So you can get some colones before heading out - although many places take US $$.