Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > LatinPass/GlobalPass
Reload this Page >

GP retracts on all TACA awards reservation not ticketed!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GP retracts on all TACA awards reservation not ticketed!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 7:35 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
I called TACA and was given Mr. Kriete's name as president. I googled him and this is what I came up with:

Key People • Chairman of the Board and CEO: Roberto Kriete • President: Alfredo Schildknecht • COO: Enrique Beltranena

TACA AIRLINES
Paseo General Escalón y 71 Avenida Norte
Centro Comercial Galerias
San Salvador, El Salvador
PHONE: +503-(2)-298-1560, or possibly 503-(2)-267-8888
FAX: +503-(2)-298-3064 (this one works)

Obviously this fax number most likely doesn't go directly into his office. But come Monday morning, I think he should have a few well worded faxes from FTers waiting for him...???

Grupo TACA (Transportes Aéreos Centroamericanos) flies throughout Central and South America and the Caribbean, and to Toronto and Montreal and nine major US cities. One of Central America's largest private employers, Grupo TACA in 1997 united five small airlines: Costa Rica's Lacsa, El Salvador's TACA International, Guatemala's Aviateca, Honduras' TACA, and Nicaragua's Nica. The group's TACA Peru serves Latin American cities, as well as San Jose, California, and Miami. The airline operates a fleet of new Airbus jets. Grupo TACA's Aeroman performs aircraft maintenance. Founded in Honduras in 1931 by New Zealand pilot Lowell Yerex, Grupo TACA has been owned by the family of chairman Roberto Kriete since 1961.

----------------------------------------------------------
update:
The original fax number didn't work for me until I added the city code for SAL (2). (Number modified above to reflect the number that worked for my fax).
I spent quite some time this morining running a search for Mr. Kriete's fax & phone numbers and they seem to be well hidden from a public internet search.

But, I found the corporate communications director's address. She appears to be in GUA rather than SAL. FWIW, here is her address:

TACA’S OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
Communications Director
Ms. Claudia Arenas
E-mail: [email protected]

FWIW, e's to the following addys have not bounced as of yet:

[email protected]
[email protected]

A MIAMI fax number for TACA is: 305-869-3727. But this appears to be the airport fax number. This should still work to get a msg to the TACA US Sales Manager.

Last edited by tvl4free; Jul 2, 2005 at 9:22 pm Reason: modified to add info to phone numbers
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by rhinochaser
While I believe that GP's latest e-mail message is accurate in that Taca refuses to issue ticket numbers and ticket stock, it is to GP that we must look to for remedy, as we are members of their frequent flyer program. They made the promises/commitments, and set all of the rules. How they fulfill those obligations with TACA or anyone else is GP's responsibility. Taca can be pressured if it doesn't want the bad press, and it may have some contractual obligation with GP to provide the tickets. This is why I have continually been asking if anyone has an understanding of how this relationship between GP and TACA works. It DOES matter, especially now that we are in the situation that we are in.
Yes, the relationship between GP and TACA is important. A few years ago, when we did the mileage run, we were informed that GP was actually owned by TACA and possibly some other Airlines, but then later we were informed that GP was spun off into a unrelated entity. So the facts are important (I am an attorney, but don't hold it against me), if GP mileage holders wanted to try to hold TACA responsible for this debacle. TACA's representations in the past, including the time when they had an ownership interest in GP may be useful, if they could be found. A statement by TACA such as if it existed, "fly with us and inform us that you want miles to be credited to GP and then later you can fly free on TACA!" would be useful. Also, I can not think that is normal that an airline like TACA would take reservations, like they did during the past week, from people who informed them specifically that their GP miles would be used for ticketing in the "D" or "T" classes without at least qualifying the reservation with a statement like "we already told GP that we are not giving them any more ticket numbers and unless something amazing happens, we are not going to be giving them any more ticket numbers, but we will hold your reservation for one week anyway"

There may be some other evidence out there but it may not be found until after any court proceeding was instituted and the court would then have the authority to require, in discovery, that TACA and GP release copies of their contracts between each other and their communications to each other and to the GP mileage holders.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe not as far back as the times of Lowell Yerex, but TACA has stood for Take A Chance Airlines... Sorry to hear about your troubles!
Old Jul 2, 2005, 12:34 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by JDiver
Maybe not as far back as the times of Lowell Yerex, but TACA has stood for Take A Chance Airlines... Sorry to hear about your troubles!
Your name sounds good in the past, but more acurate for right now would be, "Try And Cash-In Airline."
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:06 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
A great solution would be a Taca transfer

I suggest that Taca take the responsibility and allow mileage transfers in to their Distancia program from GlobalPass as originally allowed when we joined the Latinpass program.

This would allow Taca show good faith, allow us to continue to be loyal Taca customers on the future and redeem at a sensible pace, and allow GP to "transform" their FF programme into a travel agency.

Everyone wins.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 7:41 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
RU suggesting that TACA absorb all FF miles...or just on those customers who were unable to ticket?
Old Jul 2, 2005, 9:12 am

I doubt we will ever see a TACA transfer allowed, but TACA does have a responsibility to honor its commitments! TACA benefited from its relationship with GP by allowing its passengers to accumulate miles in the program until June 30th. TACA’s position is not realistic if they want the benefits (mileage accumulation and the loyalty associated with it) but do not want the liabilities which come with membership in the program!

If what GP is telling us is true and TACA has refused to honor its participation in the program thru the end of the month than GP should be acting as our agent to enforce the contract they had with TACA. If GP is to continue its program it needs the good faith of its best customers and instead of issuing a letter blaming TACA they should be telling us they are pursuing legal means to enforce its contract with the airline.

The excuse both TACA and GP is giving us is just plain lame; no ticket stock available! My most recent Distancia award was issued as an E-Ticket and I am certain in the last week TACA and GP could have worked out an agreement. Even if E-Tickets were not an option I am certain TACA had some ticket stock available somewhere and could Fed Ex it to them within a week.

I do smell a rat however; it seems a little to convenient on the morning of July 1, 2005 GP sends out a letter saying they can not honor reservations. I wonder how long GP actually knew the reservations would not be honored and misled us.

This is not something we should take lying down please list how many tickets these guys ripped off from you and lets take some legal action against these crooks.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:53 am

I am not interested in a lawsuit and am happy letting the chips fall where they may fall. However, I am curious if this is TACA's fault or Global Pass's fault. The answer will greatly affect my spending patterns in the future.

Did anyone have reservations on Aeropostal or Southern Winds denied? Did anyone have reservations on these two airlines confirmed?

The answer to these questions will point the finger at the guilty party...
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:36 pm

Programs: Former DL GM, NW Platinum, UNITED PREMIER, STARWOOD GOLD, RG, LP, US, AA & OTHERS
Originally Posted by fetchem
Did anyone have reservations on Aeropostal or Southern Winds denied? Did anyone have reservations on these two airlines confirmed?

The answer to these questions will point the finger at the guilty party...
Very good suggestion! We ALL seem to only be talking about TACA.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA
I am sorry for all of you; I am not in your situation but I think all of you should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Bureau of Consumer Protection. They are the first step to US federal actions.

FTC Consumer Website:
http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/consumer.htm

Consumer Complaint Form:
https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup?Z_ORG_CODE=PU01

Best luck.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:56 pm

Southern Winds is history having filed bk I do believe. According to their former US representative, the carrier is no longer flying. And their website (www.fly-sw.com) no longer shows available flights. There are reports that the scraps may be rolled into LAN, but that doesn't help us.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LP/GP have continually moved the goalpost: promising something and then going back on it. Remember: they introduced a 250K limit/yr, which was never ever referred to (indeed not even thought of) at the time the promotion ran. They advertised KL as a redemption possibility but getting an award on KL was like pulling hens teeth. Then airlines dropping one after the other, with very little, if any, notice. Then the new scheme, where they will not let you use your bonus miles unless you match your miles with new miles (thereby destroying any value you bonus might have had). Now, the no ticket stock issue.
OK, if Taca won't play ball and can't be made to play ball, GP can still do something: let us use bonus miles under the new scheme without imposing a new condition of matching old mile with new miles. That condition never existed when we earned the bonus.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by frankytalia
...I think all of you should file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission...
Before we run off and file a bunch of complaints w the FTC, etc., it would seem to me that what we need to do is to brainstorm and develop a plan of attack. And, we've got all weekend to do it. But, if we wait much longer after that, our reservations ticketing time limits will kick in, and restoring our reservations could be problematic once cancelled. For all we know at this point, TACA's management might not even be aware of exactly what has happened here. Granted, that's unlikely, but...

One thing that I do know is that historically Global Pass has always passed the buck for what happened on to someone else (i.e., Hilton, 'THEY dropped out on us without warning.' Or Avianca, 'THEY withdrew without letting us know.' Could the truth really have been that GP just didn't want to pay for the miles that were being transferred? GP also passed the buck on the advance notice issue, 'we're an online FF program. We always let you know of the changes via our website.' And I don't even want to start on the KLM issue! In each case, Global Pass was never to blame. As I recall, they had reasons, too, for delaying the posting of our miles and bonuses for some 5-6 months.).

So why would this be any different? GP passing the buck to TACA is completely in line with their previous shenanigans.

FWIW, I recently experienced the Air Pacific Fiji debacle. For those that don't know, it was a zero fared deal, that FJ initially refused to honor, but was later backed up by a reputable company, Travelocity, and things ultimately worked out 'peachie good' (tvl-4-free) - and both Air Pacific and Travelocity came out of the debacle smelling like a rose - in the public forum. Yeah, it cost em a little, but the goodwill that was created was priceless. And the free advertisement was great for Air Pacific. Who ever heard of Air Pacific, anyway?

TACA, I believe, is also a reputable company. I think w a little concerted effort, we can show them that it is worth their while to honor a relatively small number of tickets that were submitted in a one week time frame. Remember, TACA was already willing to offer those seats to FFers 4free, as evidenced by the fact that TACA made D and T class available to us.
And it's not like we're using them all at once. I mean, I was spattered all the way into late May 06.

What I'm trying to get around to saying is that with the Air Pacific deal, we organized! We made people aware. We contacted the press. Features were written. TACA is very big in the Miami - Central America market and I'm confident that they wouldn't appreciate (or tolerate) too much bad press in the Miami Herald, for example. Miami bound business travelers - paying the big bucks - arn't going to appreciate a carrier that is so readily eager to cancel their FF miles so suddenly, I suspect. American AAdvantage is always out there flying shoulder to shoulder w TACA.

So let's crank up the heat. I say this because, not many other suggestions have been offered. Let your fingers fly! You might want to start at the top by faxing TACA's Chairman, Roberto Kriete. And TACA's Director of Communication could certainly use an e-mail. I say flood the MIAMI fax number with a copy marked 'ATTN: US SALES MANAGER.' He or she needs to be fully aware of what is going on so that he can communicate this back to TACA's Headquarter's in El Salvador.

What concerns me most here is that we have let GP get away with this for far too long! As a group, we don't seem to want to do much about it. I just trust that in this case, we can put on a United front, and get something done! Let's not let complacency set in!

So I say, again, LET YOUR FINGER's DO THE WALKING! SPEAK UP! Take a few minutes and jet a note to a newsperson. Fax Mr. Kriete in El Salvador and the US Sales Manager in Miami. E-mail the Communications Director. Let everyone in the FF community know... especially the press! As you write, just casually advise your record locator numbers, and advise that if your records cancel, you will hold them responsible. (Saying that is up to you.). You will find the e-mail addys and phone numbers listed above.

If we each do what we can, we can prevail... I'm almost positive. And sooo, there ya have it. My devaluated 2 pesos worth! SO WRITE!!! There's certainly nothing to lose and perhaps, free tickets to gain!

So if everyone pitches in, mebbe we'll get some action.

Then we can sit back, smile, and enjoy Classe Ejecutiva TACA style! After all, my friends, you earned it! And the hard way I might add...BIS.

Luego amigos.

Last edited by tvl4free; Jul 2, 2005 at 10:40 pm
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:18 pm

I've spent most of the morning googling 'everything TACA' for more executive addresses and e-mails. I'm not comming up w much. If I find more, I'll put em here. In the meantime, here's the MIAMI address for TACA.

TACA, 7795 west flager St. Suite 45. Mall of the Americas, Miami FL 33144

BTW, I didn't remember that TACA's former president, Federico Bloch, was murdered in San Salvador. Apparently he was machine gunned down in the street. Now doesn't that just make you want to rush off for a vacation to El Salvador?

Last edited by tvl4free; Jul 3, 2005 at 8:20 am
Old Jul 3, 2005, 8:07 am

Ponzi Scheme

Isn't it funny how GP uses the word SCHEME in describing the new mile redemption process when using half of the bonus miles! I think that from day one GP was nothing but one large Ponzi Scheme!
They would receive money in one hand then pay off the airlines for the used tickets with the other hand. This tactic has finally caught up to them.
I wouldn't be surprised if many of us even with ticket numbers don't get our tickets. So if I were traveling I wouldn't put down too much money on land reservations that would be non-refundable.
I also wouldn't be too surprised if GP top brass will flee the United States to avoid any JAIL TIME !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.