No More Tickets in House!

Old Jun 27, 05, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

No More Tickets in House!

I made my final reservations with TACA today no problem. Will have burned all but 11,000 miles. I called Global Pass they said submit everything in writing to them. She said on Thursday or Friday we will let you know. They are working with TACA to get more tickets. My concern is TACA signed on to share the program with 11 other carriers. Now that they are the sole airline left they are getting slaughtered. I wonder if they will tell LP sorry, but no more tickets. If so will TACA convert our paper tickets that we haven't received to an electronic ticket? Hoping and praying they will.
Old Jun 27, 05, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by milesrus
I made my final reservations with TACA today no problem. Will have burned all but 11,000 miles. I called Global Pass they said submit everything in writing to them. She said on Thursday or Friday we will let you know. They are working with TACA to get more tickets. My concern is TACA signed on to share the program with 11 other carriers. Now that they are the sole airline left they are getting slaughtered. I wonder if they will tell LP sorry, but no more tickets. If so will TACA convert our paper tickets that we haven't received to an electronic ticket? Hoping and praying they will.
I just got off the phone with GP (Marissa) and she informed me that there is no problem with the tickets that were called into them before last Thursday (the ones that had fees charged and ticket numbers are there -- you can see online in your GP account). The problem is with the call-ins or write-ins on Thursday last week or later. They are waiting for an answer from TACA on those. I don't think that there is any chance that TACA would give electronic tickets if they are not going to give ticket stock to GP.
Old Jun 28, 05, 5:08 pm

Programs: Platinum AA, LatinPass Million Miler
I called GP today to confirm that they received my email regarding ticket requests that I had sent Friday afternoon. They confirmed that they received my emails and will process my tickets this week.

Also, a friend of mine sent 3 requests for tickets to them on Friday morning and has received an email back from them confirming that they are ticketing her reservations.
Old Jun 28, 05, 5:17 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Just out of curiosity, how did she send them vandykes44? E-mail, fax, fedex?
Old Jun 28, 05, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Well typical LP I was told no tickets so let's see if they got some more today thanks for the good news. If anybody has reservations out there, I say book those tickets via expediate immediatly
Old Jun 29, 05, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by vandykes44
I called GP today to confirm that they received my email regarding ticket requests that I had sent Friday afternoon. They confirmed that they received my emails and will process my tickets this week.

Also, a friend of mine sent 3 requests for tickets to them on Friday morning and has received an email back from them confirming that they are ticketing her reservations.
Talked to them as well the same day as you (TUE, 6/28), confirmed receipt of my e-mail, was not sure about the fax with my cc number.

BUT, the agents wording was very choosen, e.g. requeste will be "handled", we will "get back to you" and similar. Pressing more she always evaded my question if the reservation will actually be ticketed. Further on FR, they said ticketing by TUE, now it's just "at the end of the week" - no further details.

I am concerned and I am prepared to fight!!!
Old Jun 29, 05, 12:03 pm

What is the GP / TACA Arrangement for the Awards?

Does anyone know what the arrangement is between GP and TACA for the award travel? Is it GP that has to pay for all of these award tickets, or is it TACA? If it is GP, I agree that we could be in big trouble. If it is TACA, then I would think that GP must have some sort of formal agreement with them that obligates them to provide the tickets. If the cost is TACA's, once GP has the ticket stock from TACA, there would be little reason for GP to not send them out as promised, as they would face much bad publicity and possible litigation.

My reason for posing this is partly to try to help reassure myself that we will get our tickets issued, but also to reassess the need to pay the expedite fee if we "know" that GP has the ticket stock and maybe has also actually written our tickets. It seems that at this point, it may be all about whether TACA provide GP with the ticket stock or not. If they do, we get our tickets - if they don't, we don't get our tickets. The expedite fee is not likely to affect any of this, unless they were to run out of ticket stock again, with expedites possibly being written up first.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Old Jun 29, 05, 12:16 pm

Programs: Former DL GM, NW Platinum, UNITED PREMIER, STARWOOD GOLD, RG, LP, US, AA & OTHERS
Unhappy Hmmm?

Well we may all be in trouble, even if we "in fact" receive our tickets should you need to say change the dates OR even your return....look for the thread with title WARNING!
I am not secure with the way this is all going down, at all.
I did get a ticket number and I can see it on TACA's & GP's website, but will GP actually send it to me in 2 months? Even if they don't I can dispute the charges on my credit card, but I CANCELLED an Award tkt w/DL to finish off my GP account, and it could disrupt my travels should they welch.
I ask you... should you be considering just getting a tkt and changing the dates later, who will you contact? If TACA says it's a GP tkt and you need to contact them, and GP is long gone, who ya goin-ah call? Ghostbusters?
Old Jun 29, 05, 3:38 pm

Global Pass Negotiating with TACA for More Tickets

I just got off of the phone with Marissa at GP to get a status update from her. I want to start out by saying that she seems to be a sweetheart from all of my conversations with her. She could not confirm that tickets would definitely be issued, as others have stated. GP is apparently having dialogue with TACA to try to get more ticket stock. However, there is a very large back-log of ticket requests that have been submitted, and I'm sure that TACA is balking somewhat and sending over more tickets.

Marissa indicated that they would send-out e-mail confirmations when they have ticketed the flights. I asked her about the expedite versus the non-expedite. She indicated that expedite would be sent-out right away, and that standard delivery would likely occur 8-12 weeks in advance of one's flight, as GP wants to get all of this stuff out. She said that she wouldn't worry about the expedite, because if they have the tickets, you will receive them. I don't think that the expedites necessarily get processed any sooner than the non-expedites. I think that they get processed in the order that they were received.

Now, I guess we just cross our fingers and wait. Hopefully this all gets resolved before any of the reservations actually lapse. That could get ugly. Someone might want to ask GP if they believe that they need to ticket everything by June 30th, or not, due to reservation expiration. I was told by TACA that my various reservations extended anywhere from mid-July to early August, I believe. I'm wondering if the longer amount of time is related to business class tickets, or not.
Old Jun 29, 05, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also just got off with GP and was told to either email or fax my 5 trips in, they cant take over the phone. I had to line up where to go and with whom.

WHATEVER you do MAKE SURE that your email or fax is there by 5pm tommorrow, as they close at 6pm and can deny you if it aint there by then!!

Now my take on this is why would Taca want to make reservations for us I just finished my last one 10 mins ago, and then go P!SS us off by saying OK you got a res but we arent gonna send you atkt even an E Tkt. They would stand to lose too much IMO
Old Jun 29, 05, 4:11 pm

Reasons for TACA still allowing Reservations

Originally Posted by craz
I also just got off with GP and was told to either email or fax my 5 trips in, they cant take over the phone. I had to line up where to go and with whom.

WHATEVER you do MAKE SURE that your email or fax is there by 5pm tommorrow, as they close at 6pm and can deny you if it aint there by then!!

Now my take on this is why would Taca want to make reservations for us I just finished my last one 10 mins ago, and then go P!SS us off by saying OK you got a res but we arent gonna send you atkt even an E Tkt. They would stand to lose too much IMO
I suspect that TACA is trying to moderate the number of tickets by the various reservation restrictions. However, not everyone is indicating that they are using GP awards when they make their reservations, and even if they do, the agents may not be briefed uniformly to not accept reservations or place limits on them. If I'm TACA, it would seem to place less heat on them if they simply restricted the availability of tickets. They need to allow some, but could severely restrict them. That way, no one points too much blame on them. The thing that helps protect us, I believe, is the original notice on the GP website about the demise of the ability to book award tickets ("The New Era"). That notice is still there and unchanged. I suspect that if GP was smart, they have a firm agreement with TACA that requires them to provide the tickets thru 6/30. Hopefully, TACA will come to the conclusion that these flights would not be taken but for the GP awards, and that unless the planes fly full, the only cost is the marginal cost of a bit more fuel and food. I think that GP and TACA will not take actions that would be blatantly inconsistent with GP's website notice. TACA is still reasonably big and strong and hopefully can survive the issuance of another batch of tickets. I think that they all just underestimated how many people would "check" the GP website or otherwise find-out that the miles were about to expire. They didn't reneg on the original mileage bonuses, they just put restrictions on them. Hopefully the same will happen here.
Old Jun 29, 05, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Rhino having said what you did, since the tkt stock is not a GP one but has always almost been on GTs I will not blame GP but I will hold it against GT. I for 1 made sure that the rep understood I was using my GP miles and I know they knew it,how- otherwise they would have asked me for my Distancia # which they didnt. Im sure had I said I was going to use my miles in my Distancia acct they would have looked it up and finished everything then and there.

I feel very strongly (not that it will help us any) that its up to GT to hold up their end of the deal. If they werent gonna honor or issue any tkts after the stock that GP had was used up they NEVER should have made confirmed reservations for any of us! I would think that GP would have to pay GT for the tkts so there must be some even small rev coming in. If GT was worried about us taking all the free tkts in their system then they should have allowed us to redeem tkts thoughout 2006 or simply worked out some deal with GP,where GP would have transferred the miles over to them and then they could ahve imposed a limit as GP did on the amount of miles we could cash in per year. Now its all up in the air and will a sour taste in many apersons mouth.

Yes it was a fun run and hopefully we all will be able to use up the miles, but they definitely should have handled it better. My last trip down there was 2 years ago I figured I can burn thru them little by little. Well now Ill be going down 5 times with a friend within 4 months.

Last edited by craz; Jun 29, 05 at 4:30 pm
Old Jun 29, 05, 4:48 pm

How Does GP's Deal Work with TACA?

I asked it earlier, but does anybody know or have a guess as to how the financial arrangement worked between LP/GP and all of its member airlines in terms of the ticket awards? Who took the hit for the Million Mile bonuses? Was it LP/GP or was it the member airlines, and is that part of why they have all dropped out? If GP is paying TACA some amount for the ticket awards, doesn't that imply that TACA must have paid or be responsible for paying GP for running the awards program? I would guess that all of the original members agreed to provide free award tickets as requested, based upon the belief that award tickets would be requested in proportion to the amount of flights flown on each of the member airlines. This would mean that the member airlines probably took the hit for the Million Mile runs. The payment doesn't become due until GP requests an award ticket from the airline. This means that TACA as the only carrier left in the program would be "paying" for all of the remaining award tickets.

Anyone have any other theories?
Old Jun 29, 05, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i personally dont know or really even care who has to shoulder the burden. all that should count is that Taca has been accepting and making the res for using GP miles and they should hold up their end. GP does NOT have their own tkt stock (meaning GP is not a Carrier and does not issue its own tkts), we were told that we had until 6/30/2005 to exchange our miles into tkts and that we could use them ONLY on Taca/Lacsa and not even Avitaca so Ill to buy a r/t on Avitaca to get to/from Flores(Tikal) its $122 r/t and will allow me to extend the expiration of my Distancia miles so that will work for me.

so if at any time Taca wasnt going to honor its part by issuing the tkts they should have said so, so that we didnt have to go nuts trying to find flights and make land arrangements.

I happen to like Taca/Lacsa flight times as they get me into the LA Countries early so I have time to do something that day and leave late in the day back to NY so I get a full day again down there. The US carriers get you in late in the day and then they turn the aircraft right around and it comes back early, so you lose the day going and coming back. so I can leave on a Sun and return on a Thurs and Ill have 4 1/2 days to do things. With a US carrier all I get is 3 full days.

heading down to SA the US carriers are better as its a non-stop or a 1 stopper while TA/LR it takes 3 to 4 flights and alot more time as you must go via their LIM hub.

i do hope we are all worrying over nothing and that GT doesnt drop the ball on this one , but accepts its responsibilities on this one as it was them and not GP to whom we had to make the reservations and it was GT that in fact made the res and gave us the Record Locators. We do NOT have GP record locators but GT locators
Old Jun 29, 05, 6:27 pm

Unhappy I Think it Matters Who Shoulders the Burden

The reason I keep asking the question is because I think it does matter who shoulders the burden. I'm hoping that it is TACA, because I don't think that TACA is getting ready to go out of business, or that the cost of these award tickets will bust them. GlobalPass, on the other hand, especially if they have to pay something close to the cost of an award ticket to TACA, could be really crippled by having to pay for maybe 500 or 1000 award tickets, and would be willing to risk the bad press and unhappy flyers if the alternative is to jeopardize what many speculate to be a precarious financial position already. I've got 13 tickets reserved right now, and it sounds like many others are requesting similar numbers of tickets. The more people who jump into the life boat, the more likely it is to sink!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: