Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > LatinPass/GlobalPass
Reload this Page >

Hey TACA! Update your website already.

Old Jan 30, 05, 3:19 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

November 2004 inflight movie schedule is not very helpful in these last days of January 2005.

http://www.taca.com/eng/tra/tdur/tdurfeamov.asp
Old Jan 30, 05, 7:15 pm

That same movie may still be playing!
Old Feb 2, 05, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
November 2004 inflight movie schedule is not very helpful in these last days of January 2005.

http://www.taca.com/eng/tra/tdur/tdurfeamov.asp

Heh...it's possible we have a lurker from TACA visiting these boards...movie schedule updated today!
Old Feb 2, 05, 9:55 am

Programs: United 1K
I see they're playing the movie "The Italian Job" Good movie, and I love that Charlize Theron.
Old Feb 3, 05, 9:25 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, UA, VX
Heh...it's possible we have a lurker from TACA visiting these boards...movie schedule updated today!
Good job! ^ I was wondering the same thing the other day when I was trying to see my movie for 17Feb. It still only shows 1-15Feb, but at least it's up to date!
Old Feb 25, 05, 4:02 pm

Stalest Movies Ever on a Flight

This thread reminded me of some recent Taca flights that featured the most out-of-date movies I've ever seen offered on an airplane. The stars of the first had both been dead for 3-4 years, and the stars of the second, now legal adults, were only 11 or 12 years old!

My flights were in 2004. The outbound flight featured The Odd Couple 2 from 1998, staring Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon. Inbound had Two of a Kind, starring the Olsen twins. As you'll probably agree, these weren't really top-tier movies even in their day. I suspect, though, that both employed a very skilled Spanish translator, as many of my seatmates were laughing hysterically at scenes that really fell flat in the original English. That, combined with the 3 am dinner service just added to the unique Taca experience. It was great fun.
Old Feb 26, 05, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Hey! At least you got to see a movie. My IAD-SAL flight had a showing of ancient "Eight is Enough" TV show reruns!

The flight back to IAD was "Italian Job" but I didn't watch it as I opted to have a drinking contest with my new non-English speaking amigo sitting next to me!
Old Apr 8, 05, 8:08 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Hey! At least you got to see a movie. My IAD-SAL flight had a showing of ancient "Eight is Enough" TV show reruns!
The flights south from IAH stop in Belize and transfer in SAL, so there's never a movie.

Not sure if an ancient Sally Field made for TV movie on CO is better, especially when they had it a few months later on a different flight. Methinks not.

EmailKid
Old Apr 8, 05, 10:08 am

Thumbs down The Worst Ground Operations Of Any Airline

Thank goodness the airplanes and flight crews don't reflect the same qualities of ALL the ground operations of Taca/Lacsa; from reservations information to check-ins, to gate operations, to baggage handling.

While our recent flights LAX/SJC/GYE, UIO/SJC/LAX in business class were fine, food was good, service was fine, the entire ground operations were a fiasco! Reservations information was way off; from flight departure times to flight numbers to counter operating hours. Baggage handling was careless in condition of baggage and even lost baggage. Gate operations were handled totally like amateurs.

Truly an experience that makes one decide to forget about remaining frequent flyer miles and choose to pay for a different airline!
Old Apr 8, 05, 4:46 pm

Taca has beaten their previous personal best. On my return from San Salvador, they were screening 1984's Beverly Hills Cop! 21 years old.

Overall, we had a positive experience SFO to Costa Rica. Lights remained on nearly all night on the red-eye down, but service was friendly and adequate. Row 3 in Business Class on our AB320 doesn't recline more than an inch or two given the placement of the rear bulkhead. Avoid it.

Ground operations were so-so. Check in was long both ways, but many SJO customers didn't have their departure fees and forms paid on the return, which slowed things.

The SAL-SFO flight was surprisingly devoid of Campero chicken. On previous fllights it seemed about 25% of the passengers were carrying boxes of this Central American gold. Did the airport location close or something? (Taca was previously battling Campero because the chicken stinks up their planes.)
Old Apr 16, 05, 11:26 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It could be the reason people laugh so hysterically at these ancient movies in other languages is the translation. As a kid, I used to watch movies dubbed in Spanish (as shown in local theatres in my home town of Cuernavaca, Mexico) and we used to roar at the (mis)translations.

It could be like this: Tough Western hombre draws his gun on the grizzled, bewhiskered bad guy and tells him in English "This town ain't big enough for the two of us; you'd best be out of town by noon!" We might read: "It appears to me to be a rather late hour and you will miss the train if you don't hurry." Or worse, much worse... Come to think of it, these movies were often much better / funnier dubbed or captioned.

Now we know where these old clinkers go to die: the Lowell Yerex Theatre of the Sky (TACA). Well, maybe not THAT old, but... in 20 years, you will be able to fly TACA and have "Everybody Loves Raymond" reruns.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: