Wiki Posts
Search

Iad-pty

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2004, 1:42 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz
Original Poster

Iad-pty

I know I can just call them but I figured someone here might already know.

I'm looking at itineraries from Washington Dulles to Panama City, Panama and noticed some of the offered itineraries fly AA to MIA for connections to TACA. Is this permitted when using GlobalPass miles or do you need to fly on GlobalPass metal?

Last edited by MileageAddict; Jan 30, 2005 at 7:43 am
Old Aug 19, 2004, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
GlobalPass metal only (no codeshares) -- sorry, but you'll be doing the milk run.
Old Aug 20, 2004, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. The milk run is okay as I'll make good with the 12 hour layover in San Salvador and hire a taxi for the day.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 2:21 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Thanks for the response. The milk run is okay as I'll make good with the 12 hour layover in San Salvador and hire a taxi for the day.
You have to pay the SAL airport tax to leave the airport-- as I recall, it's one of the more expensive ones around $30 a head. Transit visas are possible to get, but it requires a goosechase of finding the right person. Last time I was on a TACA-to-COPA connection in SAL, 60 min of effort prived worthless in securing a transit visa either from TA or CM. On a TA to TA connection, your experienc may vary. Just have $30ish on hand in case.

Final note: the SAL airport is NOT a place you can entertain yourself for over an hour. Shops there are nice for a bit, but get old fast. Snacks are cheap, though.

Good luck!
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Well...I finally booked this trip. Yeah, I know...I inquired last summer but never could find a nice long weekend for this trip until now. I'm going in February, tickets booked.

I will have 8 hours in San Salvador and still plan to hire a taxi to take me around. I won't exactly get to see a lot in such a short time but it's not a country I really plan to visit again so I figured this was a good opportunity to at least see something. Is eight hours sufficient time to get into the city, sightsee and get back to the airport? How much is a fair price for an all-day taxi driver here? I would also buy him lunch at a good restaurant if he turns out to be a decent guy.

I will arrive in Panama City late on a Friday night, stay at the Inter Continental and leave Monday at 6am (yuck!) So.... I have all day Saturday and Sunday in Panama.

I want to take either the half or whole day Canal cruise but I'm not sure which one. I mean, is is worth a whole day or does it get old after a few hours? Also, any recommnedations on what to see and do for the entire other day? http://www.lonelyplanet.com is quite helpful I must say.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 4:45 am
Original Poster

One of the advantages of living in Northern Virginia is all those embassies over in Washington DC. I plan to take a visit to the El Salvador embassy next week and hopefully will secure a transit visa in advance.

Originally Posted by Viajero Joven
You have to pay the SAL airport tax to leave the airport-- as I recall, it's one of the more expensive ones around $30 a head. Transit visas are possible to get, but it requires a goosechase of finding the right person. Last time I was on a TACA-to-COPA connection in SAL, 60 min of effort prived worthless in securing a transit visa either from TA or CM. On a TA to TA connection, your experienc may vary. Just have $30ish on hand in case.

Final note: the SAL airport is NOT a place you can entertain yourself for over an hour. Shops there are nice for a bit, but get old fast. Snacks are cheap, though.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.