$8,500 economy class ticket?

Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Unhappy $8,500 economy class ticket?

Hello all

I'm going to be in South America and noticed that LATAM has a 12h 10m nonstop flight to Auckland. I thought perhaps I'd pop over so I took a look at the flight, $8,542.90. And this is economy class - one way ticket. Is this some sort of joke? Clearly no normal Chileans can afford such a ticket so why does this flight even exist? Who in there right mind buys an economy ticket at this price?

$8,542.90 economy class ticket on LATAM
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:14 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
It isn't economy, it's a Premium Business fare (don't know why economy isn't showing for that flight, might be sold out or zeroed out for some reason)
Old Sep 29, 2022, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Hello all

I'm going to be in South America and noticed that LATAM has a 12h 10m nonstop flight to Auckland. I thought perhaps I'd pop over so I took a look at the flight, $8,542.90. And this is economy class - one way ticket. Is this some sort of joke? Clearly no normal Chileans can afford such a ticket so why does this flight even exist? Who in there right mind buys an economy ticket at this price?

$8,542.90 economy class ticket on LATAM
In many places, one-way tickets are far more expensive than round-trips. An CDG-JFK one-way in J next month on AA is 5554. The same flight with a return added the following week is 3828.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
As already said, One Way fares tend to be more expensive since international routes have fares ruled by minimum stay. and OW fares can jump that restriction. Also the flight seems very full in your date since only the most expensive classes are available.

In other words, that price is set to be only bought for people who really need to fly at those dates (ie. corporate passengers)

Also you may try Qantas, they have exclusive inventory on that route
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:13 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Semphyra
As already said, One Way fares tend to be more expensive since international routes have fares ruled by minimum stay.
Some crazy fares on international LATAM websites like EUR 2500 to 3000 per person SCL - IPC return in C when it can be booked for less than CLP 800 000 on the Chilean website (Spanish only).
Old Oct 1, 2022, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by andreadbc
It isn't economy, it's a Premium Business fare (don't know why economy isn't showing for that flight, might be sold out or zeroed out for some reason)
I'm not sure why you say this. This is an economy fare (see below)

Originally Posted by steveholt
In many places, one-way tickets are far more expensive than round-trips. An CDG-JFK one-way in J next month on AA is €5554. The same flight with a return added the following week is €3828.
I know this trick, and for this route the price stays insane no matter what return day you choose.

As already said, One Way fares tend to be more expensive since international routes have fares ruled by minimum stay. and OW fares can jump that restriction. Also the flight seems very full in your date since only the most expensive classes are available.

In other words, that price is set to be only bought for people who really need to fly at those dates (ie. corporate passengers)

Also you may try Qantas, they have exclusive inventory on that route
I tried the roundtrip idea and it didn't bring the prices down. LATAM is selling at insane prices for all of Jan 2023 no matter the day and no matter what return leg you add. It cannot be that all the January dates are completely full. Just doesn't make any sense that this is some super popular route that only one airline flies 1x per day.

Originally Posted by behuman
Some crazy fares on international LATAM websites like EUR 2500 to 3000 per person SCL - IPC return in C when it can be booked for less than CLP 800 000 on the Chilean website (Spanish only).
I checked this trick and looked a the chilean only LATAM site. I have seen this before on other sites - although sometimes the cheaper fare is for nationals only and not foreigners. In any event it didn't help.

Notice how the economy classes are LOWER priced than business class. And this is for all January. Just ridiculous (i don't believe economy is almost sold out all of Jan). It must be a glitch.

LATAM prices on Chilean website

Last edited by TravelinSperry; Oct 1, 2022 at 9:04 pm
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:29 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
I'm not sure why you say this. This is an economy fare (see below)
You searched for economy space but there isn't any available on the non-Chile sites (probably a glitch) so the site shows the OW fare for Premium Business (usually something that only desperate/corporate folks will buy).

Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by andreadbc
You searched for economy space but there isn't any available on the non-Chile sites (probably a glitch) so the site shows the OW fare for Premium Business (usually something that only desperate/corporate folks will buy).

While that may be, on the Chilean site, you can see all the prices for economy cost even more than business. My point of this thread is to say - how can LATAM "sell" fares in this range for this flight? At these prices, the flights must be flying empty. Why fly them at all?

Either this is a mistake/glitch (or LATAM is out of their mind)
Old Oct 3, 2022, 4:50 pm

Please also consider this:
  • Long haul routes like this require a longer advance purchase date. From the airline point of view, cheap fares for tourists in most cases need to book at least 6 months before flight
  • January is considered High Season
  • Costs are higher (esp. before pandemic) due to fuel and inflation
  • Lower supply since there are less seats offered between South America and Australasia versus pre-pandemic: Qantas downgraded the 747 to a 787 and still doesn't offer flights every day, LA is no longer flying to Melbourne (nor Papeete) and Air New Zealand is no longer flying to Argentina
  • Qantas is offering similar prices so it doesn't seem a glitch

And yes, Business cabin sometimes may be cheaper than Economy class if the load factor for coach is higher than expected. It seems they still haven't created a procedure for those cases

Last edited by Semphyra; Oct 3, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Old Oct 3, 2022, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Please also consider this:
  • Long haul routes like this require a longer advance purchase date. From the airline point of view, cheap fares for tourists in most cases need to book at least 6 months before flight
  • January is considered High Season
  • Costs are higher (esp. before pandemic) due to fuel and inflation
  • Lower supply since there are less seats offered between South America and Australasia versus pre-pandemic: Qantas downgraded the 747 to a 787 and still doesn't offer flights every day, LA is no longer flying to Melbourne (nor Papeete) and Air New Zealand is no longer flying to Argentina
  • Qantas is offering similar prices so it doesn't seem a glitch

And yes, Business cabin sometimes may be cheaper than Economy class if the load factor for coach is higher than expected. It seems they still haven't created a procedure for those cases
So if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, this is a purposeful strategy and it's reasonable to assume LATAM is attempting to sell economy class tickets in January at >$7,000 one-way per ticket. Is my understanding of your position correct?
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:35 am

So if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, this is a purposeful strategy and it's reasonable to assume LATAM is attempting to sell economy class tickets in January at >$7,000 one-way per ticket. Is my understanding of your position correct?
Yes
Old Oct 4, 2022, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Yes
Your opinion isn't shared by many (if any) other airlines. My initial checking of one-way airline flights ~12 hours in length show no airlines that are priced this high. Obv I didn't check everything, but what I did check are $1,800-$2,400... LATAM is 3x this. Price seems absurd to me. Obviously you disagree... so we'll just have to leave it there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.