Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Arriving into GRU, booking separate ticket out of CGH... reasonable transit time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Arriving into GRU, booking separate ticket out of CGH... reasonable transit time?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Hello, plan to arrive into GRU on LATAM from Lima on LA 8040 scheduled for 6:20 AM. There are a couple of flights I'm looking at on GOL out of CGH for my onward leg to Campo Grande. Totally separate tix, both award redemptions. I have a choice of a 9:40 AM non-stop from CGH to CGR or a 1:45 PM. Prudence suggests the latter especially since this is for next July and sked changes can occur... looking at flightaware.com, LA 8040 seems to be 90% on time but very exceptionally more than an hour late. Still, considering I'll have to clear immi-customs @ GRU and make the trudge across town, the 1:45 PM would probably be a whole lot better for my sanity ... any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited by gq_dq; Aug 25, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:49 am
Suspended

Next July?
do you really need to book the flight so early? almost one year ahead?
rt23456p likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
The whole schedule could change by next July. You don't mention the day of the week, but given various comments in other posts about the horrendous traffic on weekdays in SP, I would say later is better if you book now. Recently made the trip between the two airports, but it was on the weekend and took less than an hour.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Tuesday
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:58 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Please see:
Ground transfer from CGH to GRU
Old Aug 18, 2022, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Thx. 3h20 on separate tix could be a recipe for an aneurysm especially if the incoming into GRU is late. I'll just confirm the 1:45 PM and stay tuned for sked changes.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:13 pm

1:45 hours to go from GRU international to CGH will happen if every star aligned and all the Gods were to work in your favor.
Bear in mind that the time you will arrive in GRU (if it is in Terminal 3) will be pretty much crowded because a bunch of flights from AA,DL, UA plus some europeans ones arrive at this period of time. The problem isn't at immigration, but the line to pass the customs.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geoshina
1:45 hours to go from GRU international to CGH will happen if every star aligned and all the Gods were to work in your favor.
Bear in mind that the time you will arrive in GRU (if it is in Terminal 3) will be pretty much crowded because a bunch of flights from AA,DL, UA plus some europeans ones arrive at this period of time. The problem isn't at immigration, but the line to pass the customs.
Hi... it's not 1:45 hours to do the transit, the flight I chose was at 1:45 PM (13:45). The earlier flight was at 9:40 AM which would have left me 3:20. This was I have 7:25.
geoshina likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Why on earth would you book tickets for July 23 now? Most likely you are paying a premium this far out.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Why on earth would you book tickets for July 23 now? Most likely you are paying a premium this far out.
Award Redemption. I generally book about when they appear.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Ah OK. I think you left out this material info in your initial post. Makes sense now.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Ah OK. I think you left out this material info in your initial post. Makes sense now.
Updated.
Old Aug 29, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
I took business class LIM-GRU on a 767 and premium economy on A320.
The food was awful. This was 2 months ago.
Also amenities non existent. You do get a amentity kit and a duvet, but don't expect peanuts, hot towels etc.
The only thing I thought that made the flight worthwhile was the seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.