Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation of flights to/from Easter Island (IPC) [merged thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2021, 3:22 am

I just looked for Feb 2022 and there are no schedules.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Even worse news -- the PPT-IPC flights which were still available a few weeks ago for December are now no longer for sale.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Chile border still closed through June 30, Easter Island still closed to non-residents with no set date for reopening (flights only for residents and cargo) and the decision to extend or end the national state of emergency will be made in the coming days. The curve in recent weeks has gone up to levels of the previous peak and some experts say the peak of this peak will occur from now into July.

Go into your LATAM booking on the LATAM site to see if is cancelled there and if it is, there is an option to first get a voucher and then a cash refund to your bank account after receiving the electronic voucher.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
so glad I visited Easter Island just pre covid. I imagine the infrastructure on the island is totally shot also …….sad all around
Old Jul 29, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IB+, LATAM PASS, ACCOR
Flights cancelled and complete disappearance of future SCL-IPC flights

I originally had LATAM flights booked to travel in February (SCL-IPC) which were consequently cancelled. I had no problem rebooking for September, but earlier today these too were cancelled and according to MATRIX, there are no flights at all for the foreseeable future. I will now contact the service centre and update when I have more news.
EDIT: I just got off the phone to the contact centre and they have just confirmed that there are NO flights scheduled at present, at least until the end of May 2022. They simply recommended that I keep an eye on the website for any updates/new schedules.

Last edited by chilglish; Jul 29, 2021 at 1:11 pm Reason: Adding information
Old Jul 29, 2021, 1:22 pm

Yeah, I expect tourists will be persona non grata on the island at least well into 2022.
Old Jul 29, 2021, 1:39 pm

You're probably right, but it doesn't make much sense considering the fact that tourism is their main source of income. Surely they could control the numbers entering the island and accept only fully vaccinated people with negative PCRs etc?
Old Jul 29, 2021, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by chilglish
You're probably right, but it doesn't make much sense considering the fact that tourism is their main source of income. Surely they could control the numbers entering the island and accept only fully vaccinated people with negative PCRs etc?
A delta outbreak on the island would be pretty devastating, as I am told that their medical facilities are even less developed than comparable remote South Pacific islands (French Polynesia, for example).
Old Aug 1, 2021, 2:39 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Looks like they are canceling ticketed flight rolling 60 days ahead offering rebooking or travel vouchers only (which to be fair appear to be transferable to a personal bank account).
No proactive information from LATAM whatsoever, had to "discover" myself the cancelation.

As per this https://farsouthexp.com/chile-is-slo...-again-240721/ interesting source, the country (not Rapa Nui) could reopen to tourists early October 2021, but I am not too confident that this will be without quarantine.

As per today 79.5% of the eligible population of Chile vaccinated tough.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by behuman
Looks like they are canceling ticketed flight rolling 60 days ahead offering rebooking or travel vouchers only (which to be fair appear to be transferable to a personal bank account).
No proactive information from LATAM whatsoever, had to "discover" myself the cancelation.

As per this https://farsouthexp.com/chile-is-slo...-again-240721/ interesting source, the country (not Rapa Nui) could reopen to tourists early October 2021, but I am not too confident that this will be without quarantine.

As per today 79.5% of the eligible population of Chile vaccinated tough.
Yes, you can exchange your voucher for cash. I did this when LATAM cancelled my Easter Island flight last year.

Also, as noted above, the island has been held to stricter standards and precautions throughout the pandemic; regardless of what Chile ends up doing this Fall, I still would not expect to get to the island for tourism purposes until 2022.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What if you booked the SCL<->IPC flight with LATAM points, and they were booked the day before those points were going to expire?

What are the options at LATAM with points reservations in cases like this?
Old Aug 1, 2021, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What if you booked the SCL<->IPC flight with LATAM points, and they were booked the day before those points were going to expire?

What are the options at LATAM with points reservations in cases like this?
That, I have no idea. I've only had one LATAM points flight cancelled in the past, but I was using BA avios for the booking (back before LATAM left OW). In that instance, BA just refunded the points to my account automatically.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's another thing I'm unsure about. LATAM finally sent me emails about my cancelled and moved up (but actually later also cancelled) SCL-IPC November flights. But when I click the link in the email and then click on the Outbound flights button on the page it draws, they say:

"There are no flights available for this date. You can return later, you have until December 31, 2021 to reschedule your trip."

Do I have until Dec 31 to book a new flight, through the end of the schedule at that time, even though Dec 31 is more than a month after my original flight?

Or do I have to book a flight by November that flies before Dec 31?

I'm not clear on which they mean, and that's a big difference.

In case it matters, the significance of Dec 31 might be that I booked the original ticket on Dec 31 2020.

If I book a date in 2022 that later again cancelled, will they allow me to change again?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:30 pm

Here's another thing I'm unsure about. LATAM finally sent me emails about my cancelled and moved up (but actually later also cancelled) SCL-IPC November flights. But when I click the link in the email and then click on the Outbound flights button on the page it draws, they say:

"There are no flights available for this date. You can return later, you have until December 31, 2021 to reschedule your trip."

Do I have until Dec 31 to book a new flight, through the end of the schedule at that time, even though Dec 31 is more than a month after my original flight?

In case it matters, the significance of Dec 31 might be that I booked the original ticket on Dec 31 2020.

If I book a date in 2022 that later again cancelled, will they allow me to change again?
I believe they mean you have to reschedule by the end of this year and must choose travel dates within a year of your original departure date. This is how a telephone agent explained it to me and I was able to reschedule (for the second time) my family's flights for February 2022, despite having originally booked for February 2021 back in August 2020.
Flights are now appearing on 14th, 21st and 28th December (just one flight each way) and then daily from 1st January onwards. I would recommend calling the LATAM call centre and pressing the option to chat to a representative in English. This is the only way to actually talk to somebody and has worked every time I've had to call, without having to hold for ages! I am bilingual and gave up on the Spanish service after being told to visit the website and hung up on several times.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion

When did you originally booked that flight? That may be true if you bought the ticket on 2020.

Valid for fully unused tickets up to 12 months from the original trip commencement date and for partially used tickets subject to the maximum stay allowed by the fare. However, fortickets with original trip commencement date between March 01, 2020 and December 31, 2020, tickets may be changed until December 31, 2021, according to system availability.

https://www.latamtrade.com/en_us/new...s_afectados_en

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.