Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

LATAM bag interlining (itself, separate tickets)

LATAM bag interlining (itself, separate tickets)

Old Jul 13, 22, 7:16 pm
DIM

Programs: AF/KLM Gold, UA Sil, IHG Plat, Hilton Plat
Luggage nightmare LA+DL

Same problem here. Flying GRU-JFK with LATAM and JFK-DCA with DL with a very short connection. 2 separate PNR.

Delta Diamond desk told me before the flight that my luggage may be checked to the final, DCA. “Just show them your second ticket, they will add it manually”… Was told I need to go thru the customs in JFK, but DCA MAY be on the tag and it will make the things faster.

In the airport in Sao Paulo now. Its a nightmare. No one understands the issue, no one is willing to help. Argued for 30 minutes and was denied to check the bag to DCA, told that they don’t see my next flight in their system (of course they don’t) - and will not add any destination manually. 🤯

Any other experience? Any one was more lucky then me?
Old Jul 13, 22, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by DIM View Post
Same problem here. Flying GRU-JFK with LATAM and JFK-DCA with DL with a very short connection. 2 separate PNR.

Delta Diamond desk told me before the flight that my luggage may be checked to the final, DCA. “Just show them your second ticket, they will add it manually”… Was told I need to go thru the customs in JFK, but DCA MAY be on the tag and it will make the things faster.

In the airport in Sao Paulo now. Its a nightmare. No one understands the issue, no one is willing to help. Argued for 30 minutes and was denied to check the bag to DCA, told that they don’t see my next flight in their system (of course they don’t) - and will not add any destination manually. 🤯

Any other experience? Any one was more lucky then me?
that's normal. asking airport agent to tag through bags for 2 different PNRs is always a favor. the agent is not obliged to do it for you. it is never a 100% guarantee.

OW airline like BA and IB are especially reluctant to do this for you. wont relent even if the next flight is on the same metal. I also wouldn't expect such courtesy from south american airlines. my experience is that check in agents in asia airports are nicer about this.
Old Jul 14, 22, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
that's normal. asking airport agent to tag through bags for 2 different PNRs is always a favor. the agent is not obliged to do it for you. it is never a 100% guarantee.

OW airline like BA and IB are especially reluctant to do this for you. wont relent even if the next flight is on the same metal. I also wouldn't expect such courtesy from south american airlines. my experience is that check in agents in asia airports are nicer about this.
LA agents expressly won't do it. I was hosed several years ago when the policy went into place after ticket purchase, and the agents (even escalating it upward) got me nowhere - this was AEP (LA) SCL (AA) USA, all front cabin Oneworld travel. I had to enter Chile and then wait, landside for 2 hours, for the AA counter to open. Joy. So yes, it is a 100% guarantee that LA won't do this for you.
Old Jul 14, 22, 7:45 pm

also,

having FF status or not is immaterial when it comes to separate PNR baggage interlining. the outcome is the same. the delta agent is wrong in giving you that impression

of the 3 alliances i have the best success with *A and in asia region airports. the check in agents in US act as if you are asking them to give up their newborn
Old Aug 12, 22, 7:21 pm

I am looking to purchase a Latam flight from GRU to BER (return) on Trip.com, with a connection in MAD of just 55 minutes ( MAD arriving terminal 4, departing terminal 4S). The itinerary shown on Trip.com specifically say "baggage not checked through". How is it possible to expect passengers to wait and pick up the luggage and re-check it, then board the next plane all within 55 minutes. Is Trip.com wrong? or should I just go with only carry-on?

Old Aug 12, 22, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I am looking to purchase a Latam flight from GRU to BER (return) on Trip.com, with a connection in MAD of just 55 minutes ( MAD arriving terminal 4, departing terminal 4S). The itinerary shown on Trip.com specifically say "baggage not checked through". How is it possible to expect passengers to wait and pick up the luggage and re-check it, then board the next plane all within 55 minutes. Is Trip.com wrong? or should I just go with only carry-on?

it is possible if they are issued as separate tickets.

single booking on OTA doesnt necessarily means single ticket
Old Aug 17, 22, 3:34 pm

So I went ahead and book directly on Latam's website, for my flight Sao Paulo to Berlin, connecting in Madrid (1 hrs 30 min connection time). This is on one ticket, first leg GRU-MAD is on Latam, second leg MAD-BER is on Iberia. I called LATAM, and asked them if I need to pick up my luggage at MAD, they said yes I do but I can ask again to be sure when I check in at GRU airport counter.
------‐-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Aug 17, 22, 3:58 pm

Programs: LATAMPASS Silver, SkyMiles Silver Medallion
So I went ahead and book directly on Latam's website, for my flight Sao Paulo to Berlin, connecting in Madrid (1 hrs 30 min connection time). This is on one ticket, first leg GRU-MAD is on Latam, second leg MAD-BER is on Iberia. I called LATAM, and asked them if I need to pick up my luggage at MAD, they said yes I do but I can ask again to be sure when I check in at GRU airport counter.
------‐-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, that's a different question. Going from GRU to BER your bag would be tagged to its final destination, but you still will need to pick it up at MAD and then drop it at the connections counter.

On the other hand, from BER to GRU you bag will be tagged to GRU and you don't need to pick it up at MAD.

In any case, since you bought a single ticket, the airline is responsible for making sure your bag get to its final destination if there is any delay

Last edited by Semphyra; Aug 17, 22 at 4:07 pm
Old Aug 17, 22, 7:40 pm

so does your itinerary have one or two PNRs?

Originally Posted by Semphyra View Post
Well, that's a different question. Going from GRU to BER your bag would be tagged to its final destination, but you still will need to pick it up at MAD and then drop it at the connections counter.

On the other hand, from BER to GRU you bag will be tagged to GRU and you don't need to pick it up at MAD.
why must bags be picked up when arriving to MAD?
going through schengen passport control, yes, but not customs.
Old Aug 18, 22, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by gnomey View Post
so does your itinerary have one or two PNRs?
One.

Search this Thread