FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   LATAM | LATAM Pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass-689/)
-   -   LATAM says: USA members' points expire after 2 years with no reset!!! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam-latam-pass/2012161-latam-says-usa-members-points-expire-after-2-years-no-reset.html)

sdsearch Mar 9, 2020 10:16 pm

LATAM says: USA members' points expire after 2 years with no reset!!!

After asking LATAM why my expiration on the site shows 2 years, while the T&Cs seem to say 3 years reset after a paid LATAM flight which earns at least one mile, they replied thus:

Your Latampass XXXXXXXXX was created in USA, so that it earns points not miles; given that please see details of expiration of points through the following link:

https://www.latam.com/en_us/latam-pass/how-to-earnw-points/expiration-of-points/

which just says:

Points on LATAM flights

These are valid for 24 months from the date each flight is credited.

Points for flights on oneworld and associated airlines

These are valid for 24 months from the date each flight is credited.

and spells out nothing about resetting earlier-earned points (including with the US Bank LATAM Visa card) by getting points on LATAM fligths.

This seems to be change made since the Multiplus "migration", but I can't find anything about it on the LATAM site without using the link they provided. So of course if this is a new policy, I knew nothing about it until they just sent it to me earlier today.

My account shows that my miles/kms/whatever that were migrated to Multiplus in mid-2018 are going to expire on 1/1/2021, so basically at the end of this year, even though I've had 2 paid LATAM flights since which both earned LATAM points, and in fact I chose of those flights over a better-scheduled flight on another airline solely so that it would reset my expiration at LATAM.

If you are USA-based, are you going to stay with LATAM if there truly no way to reset expiration after 2 years???
oints

f0zzyNUE Mar 31, 2020 3:33 pm

very weird. called LATAM today and they explained that only in a few countries where you collect miles instead of points miles are extended when you fly with LATAM or oneworld.
However in Germany members earn points - so my 79.000 points would have expired tomorrow. So i quickly booked an award flight MAD-LIM-MAD for 62.500 points and a LIM-TRU-LIM day trip for 15.000 points (in November). Thought I extended the vailidity of my points with my flight in early March, but that did not work out :(

BTW award availability is wide open with lowest fares all over LATAM and partner airline routes.

sdsearch Aug 21, 2020 8:14 pm

I started a second case a couple months back and recently got a murky "we will consider your suggestions regarding our programme" response in a "closed case" email a few weeks ago,

Now a few thousand of my points have expired this week, with a few thousand more schedule to expire in the next few months. (The bulk won't expire until the end of this year.)

It's so annoying that they chose to finally reveal this no-reset 2-year expiration for USA and other countries just as their (and everyone else's) Covid-19 slowdown/shutdown occurred.

The LATAM site was showing the unexpired number of points until I logged in, then the Multiplus showed the lowered number of points, and then only when I went back to the LATAM site did it update to show the lowered number of points I really now have.

So if you go the LATAM and at the top right it shows you your points total, don't believe that. It's apparently not updated automatically. :td:

sdsearch Dec 20, 2020 12:02 pm

Every time I communicate with them, more and different confusion.

The latest response claimed that a LATAM flight that earned points is the only way to reset, but they said that for some reason my LATAM flight within Argentina in summer 2019 didn't earn points, but it did, but it didn't reset expiration!

So the clock is ticking: Most of my points (from the one mass "migration" from LatamPass to MultiPlus) are due to expire 1/1/2021, and I still don't have an answer as to whether that's a mistake that will be corrected or not.

And LATAM's online communication methods are atrocious. Every time they answer of your questions, even if there's a mistake or confusion in the answer you have to ask about, they call it "case closed", and it's unclear whether they'll ever respond to your follow-up questions.

Eastbay1K Dec 20, 2020 12:32 pm

The best program I never joined ... and I was close, during the life of the SFO/LIM route.

sdsearch Jan 3, 2021 12:24 pm

Well, the bulk of my remaining points did expire seconds after 1 Jan 2021 ended (ie, very early on 2 Jan 2021). (The "expiring points" page had been saying they would expire on 1/1/21.)

Luckily I was able to use up the bulk of them for an intra-S.A. itinerary (they wanted tons more than I had for the flight all the way to/from the USA), which I was able to book for late November travel on the evening of Fri 31 Dec 2020 right before they were due to expire. Now I just have 10 months to find awards (with someone else) for the longhaul from the USA to connect to my intra-S.A. flights.

sdsearch Apr 30, 2022 6:35 pm

Well, i just looked at the US version of the LATAM website yesterday, and it has two versions of LATAM Pass T&Cs: One through May 31 mentions LATAM points, then one starting June 1 makes zero mention of LATAM points, only LATAM miles. So hopefully this means that LATAM points will be converted to LATAM miles around then. There are lots more things that LATAM miles can used for (such as redeeming for hotel stays) which LATAM points cannot currently be used for.

But on the downside, the June 1 version of the T&Cs mentioning LATAM miles lists a 2-year expiration. So does that mean that all LATAM miles (not just those were using the points system) will now have only a 2 year expiration?