Wiki Posts
Search

Same day flight change/standby

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 6:40 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Same day flight change/standby

Does anyone have any recent (hopefully successful) experience taking an earlier LATAM flight? I'll be flying MIA - SCL in a couple of weeks, and would like to take the daytime flight instead of the redeye. I called them up, and they suggested I could pay $3700 to change my flight, which obviously is a non-starter (BTW, a one-way ticket for the daytime flight is about $1000, do they really expect anybody to pay 4x as much for the privilege of changing an existing ticket?).

Anyway, would love to hear your experience...
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: LANPASS
Same-day standby is possible, but there's no guarantee that the agent you ask will be able to accomodate you. Not all of them are willing/able to do it

I heard that LATAM is going to start charging for these (a nominal fee, not the price of a full oneway segment) changes. Not sure if and when they'll start doing it
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Standby on earlier (redeye) flight but on AA metal

I have a similar question but with a codeshare and routing twist.

My current ticket is an AA codeshare BOG-MIA-PHX (LA PNR but all segments are AA operated) leaving at 7 am. I would like to leave at 12:10am on the same day to get to PHX earlier via BOG-DFW-PHX.

Would they allow this change as a same day standby? Since I'm trying to get on the red eye on my scheduled travel day, do I request this change in the hours before the 12:10am flight even though it is not technically the 'same-day'?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Update: no standby granted

An update to answer my question for posterity: LAN cannot honor AA's standby rules for a codeshare flight. If I wanted to fly on the earlier flight, I would have to pay all of the ticket change fees associated with my airfare.

I inquired at several sources (LANTOURS office in BsAs, AA EXPlat agent, AA ticket desk at BOG on day of travel and LAN ticket desk at BOG on day of travel) so I'm at least satisfied that the story is consistent.

Now, to find those benches without the armrests to spread out for some shuteye!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
An update to answer my question for posterity: LAN cannot honor AA's standby rules for a codeshare flight. If I wanted to fly on the earlier flight, I would have to pay all of the ticket change fees associated with my airfare.

I inquired at several sources (LANTOURS office in BsAs, AA EXPlat agent, AA ticket desk at BOG on day of travel and LAN ticket desk at BOG on day of travel) so I'm at least satisfied that the story is consistent.

Now, to find those benches without the armrests to spread out for some shuteye!
LAN can't do that, AA have to do it for you, but in you case couldn't be possible because BOG-MIA is in international flight, and Standby is not allowed for international flights (unless is NYC-LON, Canada & Caribbean).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:43 am

Any update on this? Booking an award flight with Asia Miles for my parents in October and the only available seats include a 5 hour layover in LIM on the way to CUZ. Would they have any ability to standby for an earlier flight to CUZ? If so, do they need to only have carryon luggage, will the checked luggage arrive on their original flight, or will the luggage arrive on the earlier flight? Who is the best person to ask for an earlier flight - gate agent, a transfer desk somewhere (where?), check-in desk, etc.? Thanks!

EDIT: May as well add this question rather than start a new thread: Connecting Premium Business to Economy on this trip, will they be subject to the economy or business carry on limits on the LIM-CUZ segment?

Last edited by lowfareair; Jan 30, 2017 at 3:51 am
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
I've had the agents at EZE (also in town in Palermo) offer to send me through SCL and then to LIM when I've had a 10+ hour layover in LIM on a nonstop during the day, still in Premium Business. A lot depends on how many seats are available on the early flights vs the later one especially if the early is relatively empty and the later one isn't. It's been a couple of years since I've booked anything like that but it seemed to be a random occurrence given loads when I checked seats online. I've never asked to change flights yet but that might trigger a charge depending on the station or the agent. As fedechat said codeshares depending on the operating company not the one that sold you the ticket. If you used a TA you might be able to get them to change it for you.

Given it's LATAM YMMV

Last edited by ttuna3; Feb 2, 2017 at 1:23 pm
Old Feb 2, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
lowfairair

On the LIM-CUZ you get the Premium Business baggage as long as it's the same ticket. Otherwise it's the Economy allowance (since I think it's an all economy domestic flight anyway)

Given it's LATAM YMMV
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by ttuna3
lowfairair

On the LIM-CUZ you get the Premium Business baggage as long as it's the same ticket. Otherwise it's the Economy allowance (since I think it's an all economy domestic flight anyway)

Given it's LATAM YMMV
It is all-economy. The checked luggage is subject to Premium Business limits, but how about carry-on limits?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:40 pm

Hi all, I just came across a page (https://www.latam.com/en_ue/latam-pa...flight-change/) with LATAM official policy on SDC. It does not specify when this policy started. That said, judging from the language at face value, it now appears:

(1) Free SDC applies to domestic flight only;
(2) You need elite status with LAN Pass.

According to an earlier post on same day change (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...u-flights.html) back in early 2010s, LATAM allows SDC as long as it's not an X fare. So looks like LATAM tightens the rule a little bit.

My wife and I have an upcoming trip from LIM to CUZ booked with Avios points. The flight has an awkward time but was the only one redeemable. We are wondering if SDC is a viable option to choose.

So my question is: has anyone recently successfully done a SDC on LATAM domestic flight and would you mind sharing if the rule (1) and (2) are strictly enforced?

Much appreciated!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by yuzheny
Hi all, I just came across a page (https://www.latam.com/en_ue/latam-pa...flight-change/) with LATAM official policy on SDC. It does not specify when this policy started. That said, judging from the language at face value, it now appears:

According to an earlier post on same day change (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lata...u-flights.html) back in early 2010s, LATAM allows SDC as long as it's not an X fare. So looks like LATAM tightens the rule a little bit.

My wife and I have an upcoming trip from LIM to CUZ booked with Avios points. The flight has an awkward time but was the only one redeemable. We are wondering if SDC is a viable option to choose.

So my question is: has anyone recently successfully done a SDC on LATAM domestic flight and would you mind sharing if the rule (1) and (2) are strictly enforced?

Much appreciated!
This has been possible for a long time already with LATAM Brasil (JJ), it seems like they're just launching it for other countries now.

In Brazil this works well, I've done it a bunch of times (even changed the same reservation twice or three times on the way to the airport when traffic was better than expected).

Now, one important distinction is that with JJ you don't need to have any status with LATAM. This is the page with more details on the Brazil-specific policy: https://www.latam.com/flight-anticipation/
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I have an upcoming connection at SCL to AEP. I am a Oneworld Emerald -- American Executive Platinum.

As I read around, it looks like I can't standby for an earlier flight because it is international. Is that right?
Old May 22, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by yuzheny

Much appreciated!
Originally Posted by POAflyer
This has been possible for a long time already with LATAM Brasil (JJ), it seems like they're just launching it for other countries now.

In Brazil this works well, I've done it a bunch of times (even changed the same reservation twice or three times on the way to the airport when traffic was better than expected).

Now, one important distinction is that with JJ you don't need to have any status with LATAM. This is the page with more details on the Brazil-specific policy: https://www.latam.com/flight-anticipation/
I can't get the LATAM links to work.

Here's my dilemma. I'm arriving in GRU on a different airline (international flight). I booked a separate, fully refundable onward ticket on LATAM to a destination in Brazil, departing about 4 hours after I'm scheduled to arrive in GRU. There's another flight 4 hours later, so if things go pear-shaped I should be OK as long as the second flight not sold out. (Actually, there are 2 or 3 later flights, so I think I'll be fine.)

HOWEVER, the flight change rules say that I have to pay any difference in fare, which would be quite a bit higher when purchasing on the day of departure. If I have to change the flight to a later one the same day, would they charge me the fare difference? And would it matter if I made the change before vs after the departure of the first flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.