Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

The handy LAN threads and links thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The handy LAN threads and links thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:52 pm
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
LAN uses the Club America lounge at MIA

What's wrong with J? I like it, always quick through immigration unlike E
Old Sep 30, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
LAN uses the Club America lounge at MIA

What's wrong with J? I like it, always quick through immigration unlike E
I have been given passes to the Delta lounge whenever I fly LAN out of Miami, as well. Crummy place. Never even heard of the Club America.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I wanted to review new LAN destinations, especially about DFW,
but didn't find anything in this forum..
edit:
http://www.dfwtower.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2777

Last edited by MrHalliday; Oct 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:44 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
LAN's, domestic Chile tix foreigner gouge

Scattered about different threads is the issue of LAN's intentional gouging when it comes to Chile domestic flights if purchased on one of their international sites vs. booking on their Chile site.

The reports indicate many outside the US are able to book on the Chile site but those in the States seem to get redirected 90% of the time.

Remember these are not residency based fares (just lower priced fare buckets) which are open to all and that Chile residents and citizens outside of Chile also get redirected to book at the higher price.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
LAN List of Lounges Systemwide

The full list of lounges can be found here ( I don't believe this list existed until recently) :

In English: http://www.lan.com/en_us/sitio_perso...lones_vip.html

En Espańol: http://www.lan.com/es_cl/sitio_perso...lones_vip.html

Who knew there was pressing and shoeshine service at the SCL lounges? Not I!

Last edited by phlashba; Oct 25, 2011 at 3:15 pm Reason: added link for Spanish
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by phlashba
Who knew there was pressing and shoeshine service at the SCL lounges? Not I!
The shower rooms IIRC have a double door to let your clothes out, and have them returned. The service is of limited use (obviously) because SCL can't be used as an arrivals lounge. I suppose if you woke up late for your EZE business meeting, you could get to SCL, take a quick shower and have them press your wrinkled suit.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 7:21 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
I have a six hour layover between jfk-scl & scl-eze. That's a good chance for me to use it!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
A LAN newbie question.
I am finding it difficult to find J award availability to fly from GIG to SYD with AA miles.
It might be easier to find the awards as a LANPASS member.
So, here is what I am finding:
It takes 50,000 AA miles for one way J award GIG to SYD. This I can get for 40,000 SPG points (with 1:1 transfer + 10,000 bonus)
It takes 220,000 LANPASS Km for the same award. That would cost me 100,000 SPG points (with1:2 transfer + 25,000 bonus).
Tell me if my thinking and math are correct.
If this is correct math, it is also CRAZY! I would never even consider this.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:11 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
Originally Posted by Paulchili
It takes 50,000 AA miles for one way J award GIG to SYD. This I can get for 40,000 SPG points (with 1:1 transfer + 10,000 bonus)
It takes 220,000 LANPASS Km for the same award. That would cost me 100,000 SPG points (with1:2 transfer + 25,000 bonus).
Hi! Welcome to the LAN forum I don't really know if the award you mention is 50,000 AA miles, but the 220,000 LANPASS kms that you are referring to is the amount needed for the roundtrip award, not one-way. So I think you'd just need 110,000 kms -- 45,000 SPG points (1:2 transfer + 10,000 bonus).
Hope that someone can double check this... I hope that you find the award that you need!

Do we have a main thread on transfers from SPG points? It would be helpful if we could continue this there...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

But you cannot book that one way award. Or have you calculated it as GIG SCL SYD?

SPG has a 20% off offer at the moment, so you can buy 20000 Starpoints for $560 which will give you 50000 LANpass kms

That's 1.12˘ per km which is a pretty good deal given that the only time LANpass has offered kms for 1˘ this year it has only been for Peru based accounts.

Not brilliant though, BOG to LIM rt on that basis would be $313.60 plus about $100 in taxes. OK for emergencies when LAN is charging +$600 for the route.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:34 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Johnny is right, of course. "One-way" awards are permitted only when there's more than one segment (you have to price 2 segments and add them... so I guess that would be 40,000 + 140,000=180,000). (*)

In any case, you should probably be able to price it like GIG-SYD-"something else close by" (110,000 + ________).

(*) Just noticed that the J rt award for Brasil-Australia is cheaper (220,000) than for Chile-Australia (280,000) and that's kind of crazy.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Johnny is right, of course. "One-way" awards are permitted only when there's more than one segment (you have to price 2 segments and add them... so I guess that would be 40,000 + 140,000=180,000). (*)

In any case, you should probably be able to price it like GIG-SYD-"something else close by" (110,000 + ________).

(*) Just noticed that the J rt award for Brasil-Australia is cheaper (220,000) than for Chile-Australia (280,000) and that's kind of crazy.
My final destination is CNS - and that is not available on the LAN calculator - so 110,000 + would not work.
Even if I did GIG-SCL-SYD for 180K, it would cost 80,000 SPG points (twice the amount for an AA award and wouldn't even get me to CNS).
Does not look like I will be converting SPG into LANPASS and hope for availability on the QF 28 flight SCL-SYD connecting to CNS for 50K AA miles.
If LAN will show award availbility GIG to SCL - great, if not I'll get there with GOL in Y.
Johhny - I have 150K SPG points, so I wouldn't have to buy any. I was thinking of converting them to LANPASS if I could get the award easier. But at these rates I'll use my AA miles and hope for QF availability.

Last edited by Paulchili; Nov 7, 2011 at 2:42 pm
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:41 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Just because it isn't available on the LANPASS calculator it doesn't mean that it isn't redeemable by phone... SYD-CNS is under 2000kms, so that should be 28,000 kms on business (or 14,000 on coach). Hope that one way or another you'll find availability for your trip!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by andreadbc
Just because it isn't available on the LANPASS calculator it doesn't mean that it isn't redeemable by phone... SYD-CNS is under 2000kms, so that should be 28,000 kms on business (or 14,000 on coach). Hope that one way or another you'll find availability for your trip!
Thank you.
So, if I understand you correctly, to book one way LAN J award GIG-SCL-AKL-SYD-CNS would be 110K+28K=138K LANPASS kms.
That would still cost me around 60K SPG points (vs 40K for an AA award).
However, if I cannot find availability with AA miles and can with LANPASS, it just may be worth the 20K extra SPG (as a one time only redemption - not on regular basis).
Kindly confirm if my math is correct.
Thank you.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Johhny - I have 150K SPG points, so I wouldn't have to buy any.
Understood, I just chipped in with that to give it a bit of visibility on the LANPASS forum in case others were interested but not aware

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.